Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graham Linehan banned from twitter for questioning "trans ideology"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

No they aren't. You're just trying to wiggle out of your Freudian slip which acknowledged this.

Nice that you think females are 'makey uppey' though. Talk about denying people their existence. Anyway, have the last word. I'm not wasting anymore of my time with your ultra-deconstructionist, unscientific, disingenuous balderdash.

Goodnight and goodluck.

Lol there was no slip. I meant everything I said. And I also never said females were makey uppy why do you feel the need to misquote me?

My opinions aren't unscientific. They're far more scientific than anyone else on this thread. Unfortunately most people have very low science knowledge.

tigger123 wrote: »
    I can maybe see the gender specific spaces bit, but I'm not sure its precious enough to be denied to trans women.

But the idea that they're taking advantage of gender rights is a bit off.

If I, as one gender, enjoy specific rights due to the gender, that is in no way diminished by someone else identifying as that gender also enjoying those rights.

Men being allowed access to women's prisons or changing rooms or women's shelters. That certainly should not be allowed.

Men allowed to fight women in combat sports should not be allowed.

Men and women competing in most sports are separated. Should that change?

I see there was some chatter about only 4 out of 15 cabinet members were female. Why can't a couple of the lads identify as female to make it equal?

Men and women are different on a biological level. They should be treated as such.

LLMMLL wrote: »

My opinions aren't unscientific. They're far more scientific than anyone else on this thread. Unfortunately most people have very low science knowledge.

Trump would be proud of that claim.

In fairness, someone claiming that a man can be a woman in one post and then to make that claim....even trump hasn't said anything that ridiculous (And that's saying something...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

Men being allowed access to women's prisons or changing rooms or women's shelters. That certainly should not be allowed.

Men allowed to fight women in combat sports should not be allowed.

Men and women competing in most sports are separated. Should that change?

I see there was some chatter about only 4 out of 15 cabinet members were female. Why can't a couple of the lads identify as female to make it equal?

Men and women are different on a biological level. They should be treated as such.

What do you suggest happens to trans women then? We just ignore them and hope they go away?

Anti trans activists get so outraged when they are.called transphobic but just look at the above quote.

Direct proof that these people think trans women are just men who decide on a whim to be different.

Just as bad as the people who think gay people are gay "by choice".

Pure transphobia.

• Advertisement

Anti trans activists get so outraged when they are.called transphobic but just look at the above quote.

Direct proof that these people think trans women are just men who decide on a whim to be different.

Just as bad as the people who think gay people are gay "by choice".

Pure transphobia.

Absolutely not.

I'm saying that if self identification is the only prerequisite for changing your sex, it is neither impossible or implausible that people will use that glaring loophole for their advantage.

I never once said transgender people do change on a whim, only that they could.

And you agree with me don't you? Or how long do you have to be agonising over transitioning before YOU will accept someone is trans?

Sounds a little selectively transphobic to me if you believe some and not others...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

This sounds like you don't believe transgender is a thing at all though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

hetuzozaho wrote: »

He's pointing out the absurdity of self-id.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I too find you extremely contradictory.

Your views are those of a TERF but you are not a feminist.

You seem to believe feminists don't like men, does that include the one's married to men and the mother's of sons??. Can men be feminists?

Do you not think we already have EQUALITY? If not how do you suggest we seek it? It it something we will get given to us or something we will achieve? Is liking men (whatever that means) a precondition or can we dislike men and still get EQUALITY?

You don't appear to understand that 'rape' is a legal term and the only way women could rape is if they are a pre-op transwoman but you don't think they are women therefore women can't 'rape' - they can, and do, commit sexual assault.

I'm not sure it's feminism that is lost tbh.

With regards to understanding the legal definition of 'rape' are you discussing the legal definition in Ireland or the legal definition in England. Because, well we are in Ireland so I assume we are discussing the Irish offence, the gender of the perpetrator is irrelevant. Its a common mistake as people always seem to assume that English is exactly the same as Ireland but in lots of cases its vastly different. I am not trying to be smart and I feel that as you are probably educating a lot of people, the facts should always be on point.

I believe it is. I also believe that allowing people to self ID and failure for people to differentiate between the two sexes makes men, women, gender inequality stats, anything sex related, invalid

• Advertisement

Absolutely not.

I'm saying that if self identification is the only prerequisite for changing your sex, it is neither impossible or implausible that people will use that glaring loophole for their advantage.

I never once said transgender people do change on a whim, only that they could.

And you agree with me don't you? Or how long do you have to be agonising over transitioning before YOU will accept someone is trans?

Sounds a little selectively transphobic to me if you believe some and not others...

It's incredibly implausible. We have had self id in this country for years and guess what? Nobody has claimed to be trans to become a TD.

You're just like the anti-gay-marriage people who claimed brothers would marry each other for tax breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

you could have at least bothered to read the article before commenting.

I did and I believe it was blown completely out of proportion a Twitter spat that could have easily dealt with by giving both people a posting holiday .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

tigger123 wrote: »
    What do you suggest happens to trans women then? We just ignore them and hope they go away?

You will have to read all the way through this and other similar threads to learn that there are good honest decent suggestions. You are a bit late in for spoon feeding and pretending to be disingenuous. The tactic of relay racing between TRAs in these threads, passing on the baton and trying to wear peopke to a nub with moronic repetition is very visible, I get ya. But nah. Read for yourself.

I got the third space idea from Fionne Orlander, a transwoman. One of the very many lovely happy intelligent transwomen who know they are not women.

I believe it is.

Ah apologies. I took you up wrong.
    I also believe that allowing people to self ID and failure for people to differentiate between the two sexes makes men, women, gender inequality stats, anything sex related, invalid

I don't understand your point here.

My understanding is Ireland has self id since 2015. Has this caused issues?

Explain to me why 1 in 50 men in UK prisons identify as transgender (very high already re population rate) but 1 in 10 traveller men in prison identify as transgender. According to the Director of prisons. Something in the water?
    It never happens. All in our silly bigoted heads.

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Explain to me why 1 in 50 men in UK prisons identify as transgender (very high already re population rate) but 1 in 10 traveller men in prison identify as transgender. According to the Director of prisons. Something in the water?
    It never happens. All in our silly bigoted heads.

Excuse me? :p

It's incredibly implausible. We have had self id in this country for years and guess what? Nobody has claimed to be trans to become a TD.

Oh...my apologies, I didn't think you would assume I was claiming that anyone was claiming to be trans to become a TD. I was pointing out that it would be possible for any person, in any role, in any circumstance to self ID as whatever sex they needed to in order to gain an advantage which was to be afforded to the opposite sex.

I didn't mean for you to think I was being specific.

And it is exceptionally plausible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Gruffalox wrote: »
    You will have to read all the way through this and other similar threads to learn that there are good honest decent suggestions. You are a bit late in for spoon feeding and pretending to be disingenuous. The tactic of relay racing between TRAs in these threads, passing on the baton and trying to wear peopke to a nub with moronic repetition is very visible, I get ya. But nah. Read for yourself.

Ah cmon now, like this doesn't happen on all sides in nearly every lengthy thread on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

According to the Criminal Law (Rape) (Amendment) Act, 1990, rape is defined as "a sexual assault that includes":

Source: http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1990/act/32/section/4/enacted/en/html#sec4

Clearly the law states that any woman (or anyone of any sex or gender) can commit rape under the second definition.

I stand corrected. Thank you. I was confused with UK law.

Irish Law does state that the a person may legally change their gender.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2015/act/25/enacted/en/html

So there we have it. Irish law states that women can rape and that gender can be changed.

Are we all happy now?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

joeguevara wrote: »
    With regards to understanding the legal definition of 'rape' are you discussing the legal definition in Ireland or the legal definition in England. Because, well we are in Ireland so I assume we are discussing the Irish offence, the gender of the perpetrator is irrelevant. Its a common mistake as people always seem to assume that English is exactly the same as Ireland but in lots of cases its vastly different. I am not trying to be smart and I feel that as you are probably educating a lot of people, the facts should always be on point.

Mea cupla.
    Got UK and Irish law mixed up.

• Advertisement

So there we have it. Irish law states that women can rape and that gender can be changed.

Are we all happy now?

You cannot change sex, however. Do you agree with this statement?

RWCNT wrote: »
    Ah cmon now, like this doesn't happen on all sides in nearly every lengthy thread on here.

Fair enough.
    It is just a pain in the hole. "Hi guys I m all new and zippy here and I hardly know what is going on. Tell me, tell me, what the fuss is all about."
    Hmmm.

Oh...my apologies, I didn't think you would assume I was claiming that anyone was claiming to be trans to become a TD. I was pointing out that it would be possible for any person, in any role, in any circumstance to self ID as whatever sex they needed to in order to gain an advantage which was to be afforded to the opposite sex.

I didn't mean for you to think I was being specific.

And it is exceptionally plausible

It doesn't have to be specific. No matter what ridiculous thing you come up with it will be no more plausible. We have had self id for years. Where are the rapes? Where are the TDs? Where are the peeping Tom's?

Are we all happy now?

Sure. How many genders are there? Sex and gender are different aren't they?

Are we all happy now?

Legally change ones gender is not the same as biologically change ones sex. Which is what the deconstructionists would like to force people to believe. As long as I have a kick left in me biological reality will hold sway and ideologues can go shyte.

It doesn't have to be specific. No matter what ridiculous thing you come up with it will be no more plausible. We have had self id for years. Where are the rapes? Where are the TDs? Where are the peeping Tom's?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/seven-sex-attacks-in-womens-jails-by-transgender-convicts-cx9m8zqpg

It's the UK, granted, but very silly to think it's improbable.

I'm sure I could get you a couple of local incidents but sure just Google it. I don't particularly want it coming up in my search history.

Edit...https://www.lawsociety.ie/gazette/top-stories/male-bodied-transgender-inmate-housed-with-women-prisoners/

Here's something from the law society outlining how the self ID is a bad thing for prisons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Took it upon yourself to define what constitutes being a woman? As if it is open to interpretation?

Well, apparently ‘woman’ is just a nebulous concept. Try and get a definition for it out of somebody that doesn’t involve mentioning biological sex or regressive gender stereotypes. Generally you’re left with vague talk of feelings or ladybrains. :pac:

Well, apparently ‘woman’ is just a nebulous concept. Try and get a definition for it out of somebody that doesn’t involve mentioning biological sex or regressive gender stereotypes. Generally you’re left with vague talk of feelings or ladybrains. :pac:

Don't forget my personal favourite, 'tables of exemplars'. How's that for linguistic bull**** :D

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

You took it upon yourself to define what constitutes being a woman and now you are complaining that you were met with abuse?
    Mate, I'm a biological female and if you tweeted me with that crap you'd have been told where to shove it.

I think it's more likely they said they believe the scientific definition of a woman rather than that they decided to take it upon themselves to create their own definition of a woman. I don't understand what is at issue with saying one believes in the biological definition of a woman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

And if people want to start dishing out judgement on twitter they can't then complain if they get abuse. They are getting back what they are dishing out.

Are you saying judgement and abuse are the same thing here?

Advertisement