Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graham Linehan banned from twitter for questioning "trans ideology"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Why is it inconvenient that you're a woman? Isn't it generally accepted that TERFs tend to be women?

No. It is becoming more generally accepted that bullies level slurs and names like TERFs at women when they will not shut up and do as they are told.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Since 2008 3314 transgender people were murdered for being transgender. Often in the most horrific brutal way.
    Just google 3314 transgender

ok so that figure is accross 74 countries over 11 years.
    With the 3 named countries (US, Brazil and Mexico) out of those 74 having combined population of over 660m

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Gruffalox wrote: »
    No. It is becoming more generally accepted that bullies level slurs and names like TERFs at women when they will not shut up and do as they are told.

I don't think that's generally accepted at all

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Just google 3314 transgender

I'd love to see the police investigations that state 3k + people were murdered for being trans ,
    Rather than some website project pushing for trans rememberance day .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I’m probably one of the loudest voices on these recent threads. Inconveniently female, inconveniently vocal about women’s rights. Do you think I’m transphobic?

At least I consistently care about women’s hard-won SEX-based rights and don’t want to give them away because of naivety and woolly logic.

When someone exits a debate in a cloud of “you’re all TERFS and Transphobic” they’ve already lost the debate.

• Advertisement

Norf FC wrote: »
    Why the need for a silly label for those who disagree with you?

Convenience.

I don't think that's generally accepted at all

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TERF#Slur_debate

Die Cis Scum and Kill All TERFs really ruined that word for ya. You will have to come up with another. Remember now that transphobe was defined recently by a compadre of yours as "often very violent people who enjoy beating and murdering". So careful with that one too - it is becoming a tad nasty for good people to be hurling about.

When someone exits a debate in a cloud of “you’re all TERFS and Transphobic” they’ve already lost the debate.

I don't think claiming that you have some all seeing knowledge that two sex pests from your village in the 70s would use self id to continue their sex pesting in the modern era is really what anyone would call debate.

Die Cis Scum and Kill All TERFs really ruined that word for ya. You will have to come up with another. Remember now that transphobe was defined recently by a compadre of yours as "often very violent people who enjoy beating and murdering". So careful with that one too - it is becoming a tad nasty for good people to be hurling about.

Well I'll have to tell all the people who call themselves gay that if someone says "die gay scum" Or "kill all gays" they can't use the word gay anymore in any context.

Or maybe not.....

I don't think claiming that you have some all seeing knowledge that two sex pests from your village in the 70s would use self id to continue their sex pesting in the modern era is really what anyone would call debate.

Neither is labelling level headed respondents to this thread as TERFS and transphobic.

It’s hysterical and the equivalent of taking your ball home
    because your friends won’t let you play in goal.

• Advertisement

Neither is labelling level headed respondents to this thread as TERFS and transphobic.

It’s hysterical and the equivalent of taking your ball home
    because your friends won’t let you play in goal.

I don't see any issue with calling someone a TERF. If you share all your opinions with the group of people called TERFs who are completely defined by the opinions they hold then you are a TERF.

All these anti trans beliefs are based on trans phobia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’m still amused at the person upthread who said to you (paraphrasing) “How can I call you a TERF if you’re not a feminist?”. Like as if they have no choice but to use the term TERF.

Here’s a thought - maybe don’t call people TERFs?

Well I'll have to tell all the people who call themselves gay that if someone says "die gay scum" Or "kill all gays" they can't use the word gay anymore in any context.

Or maybe not.....

Dear, you will just have to call me a TER please, if that helps you. I am not a feminist, as I have stated before, so that knocks off the F. I have always been a Radical so am happy to accept that. So okay then, TER. If it makes your day happier and is convenient.

Sorry to be a bother but I won't be removing the numerous trans people I follow on social media from my lists so I am not very good at trans excluding either.
    Hmmmm guess I will just have to be an R then.

Rrrrrrrrrrr. Rrrrrr. :) I like it

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Reddit has banned the gender critical subreddit, once again emphasing the fact that big tech companies should have never been given the keys to the world's communication channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Here’s another thought - if you’re offended by how other people choose to define you by their standards, then it should be easy for you to understand why other people would be offended by your attempts to define them by your standards.

You’re on fairly shaky moral high ground when you expect your own standards shouldn’t equally apply to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

"Taking the HRC’s highest recent estimate of trans fatalities (29) as representative, and assuming the transgender population to be 0.6 per cent of the U.S. population—although some trans activists argue the true figure is as high as 3 per cent, which would make the murder rate even lower—the total number of murders in a hypothetical all-trans USA would be roughly 4,800 per year (4,833). In other words, if you multiply the population of the US (327,167,434) by 0.6 per cent you get a current transgender population estimate of 1,963,004.6, and if you divide that figure by 29 (the number of murders) you get 67,690—one murder per 67,690 trans citizens. That works out as a projected annual total of 4,833 murders (327,167,434/67,690) in an all-trans America, with an annual murder rate of 1.48 per 100,000 Americans. That’s about one-fourth of the actual current murder rate: there were 16,214 recorded homicides in the United States in 2018 (five per 100,000) and 17,294 in 2017. While LGBT advocates may be correct that there is some under-reporting of the transgender murder rate because not all trans individuals are “out,” the fact is that the murder rate for trans people would have to increase by 300-400 per cent to match the murder rate for the general population."

https://quillette.com/2019/12/07/are-we-in-the-midst-of-a-transgender-murder-epidemic/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I’m probably one of the loudest voices on these recent threads. Inconveniently female, inconveniently vocal about women’s rights. Do you think I’m transphobic?

At least I consistently care about women’s hard-won SEX-based rights and don’t want to give them away because of naivety and woolly logic.

Yes. I do think you are transphobic.

What I hear from you are all the same 'concerns' people used to voice about lesbians in women's changing rooms. I grew up hearing that crap. How we would be sexual predators. I stopped sharing changing rooms in the early 2000s and we were still hearing it then.
    At a rugby tournament I played in in 1998 an English women's team was asked to leave due to the abuse they gave any player who was obviously gay. Ironically they were asked to leave after they complained they 'didn't feel safe' in the showers.
    And the people who said those things were homophobic.

I don't see any issue with calling someone a TERF. If you share all your opinions with the group of people called TERFs who are completely defined by the opinions they hold then you are a TERF.

All these anti trans beliefs are based on trans phobia.

QED.

• Advertisement

The victims of transphobia turn out to be the transphobes.

Now what does that remind me of?

Yes. I do think you are transphobic.

What I hear from you are all the same 'concerns' people used to voice about lesbians in women's changing rooms. I grew up hearing that crap. How we would be sexual predators. I stopped sharing changing rooms in the early 2000s and we were still hearing it then.
    At a rugby tournament I played in in 1998 an English women's team was asked to leave due to the abuse they gave any player who was obviously gay. Ironically they were asked to leave after they complained they 'didn't feel safe' in the showers.
    And the people who said those things were homophobic.

Yup but people refuse to see the parallels between how gay people were treated 20 years ago and how trans people are treated now.

Im trying to come up with a new word. Gencritphobes?
    Terphobes?
    Something snappy. I want in on the slur game. I want to be able to just say xxxxxphobe and thats my whole argument. I feel left out :(

Im trying to come up with a new word. Gencritphobes?
    Terphobes?
    Something snappy. I want in on the slur game. I want to be able to just say xxxxxphobe and thats my whole argument. I feel left out :(

I love terphobe. Thanks. Feel free to refer to me.as a terphobe anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

In 2019, an official of the American Medical Association called the violence against trans people an "epidemic."[95] Others dispute the validity of this claim as the recorded trans murder rate is lower than the American average, and little evidence exists to show that violence against transgender people is being committed because of their gender identity.[96][

I love terphobe. Thanks. Feel free to refer to me.as a terphobe anytime.

Ah you, you I shall call the Mas-terphobe. You really know how to tell the bold ladies how to pipe down.

I too find you extremely contradictory.

Your views are those of a TERF but you are not a feminist.

I’m still amused at the person upthread who said to you (paraphrasing) “How can I call you a TERF if you’re not a feminist?”. Like as if they have no choice but to use the term TERF.

That's not paraphrasing - that is completely twisting to suit your agenda.

I said to another poster "your views are those of a TERF (trans-exclusionary radical feminist), but you are not a feminist." - she herself said she wasn't a feminist.
    And indeed - her expressed views were the same as TERFs, doesn't follow she is one, what with not being a feminist never mind a radical one.

Ah you, you I shall call the Mas-terphobe. You really know how to tell the bold ladies how to pipe down.

Masterphobe. I love it. Might get it on a t-shirt.

Now now Professor, me thinks you maybe trying some roguish slight of hand there with your
    "15,900,000 results" as if that equates to deaths. I'm perfectly prepared to go along with your earlier figure of 3,314 over 11 years accross 74 countries.

I'm eating my dinner and did not check them all. Just saying what google gave as results.
    The first page was enough tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Gatling wrote: »
    I'd love to see the police investigations that state 3k + people were murdered for being trans ,
    Rather than some website project pushing for trans rememberance day .

my response of 'google it' was to someone saying 'not questioning it, but do you have a link'

hate that line, you're on the internet, you say you just want the facts, to be informed...

google it, then counter the argument with whatever information you find, if you want

heres what i found

https://transrespect.org/en/tmm-update-trans-day-of-remembrance-2019/

Name list Oct 2018 – Sep 2019 (pdf)
    Summary tables Oct 2018 – Sep 2019 (pdf)

EDIT
    heres what i found about the one case from the UK
    https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/18401099.amy-griffiths-murder-trial-set-start-next-month/
    Martin Saberi denies the murder of Amy Griffiths between January 11 and January 14 last year.

Ms Griffiths, who was 51, was discovered dead at her flat in Chalverton Court, Droitwich, on January 14. Police said she had suffered head and throat injuries.

The trial is due to start at Worcester Crown Court on Monday, May 18.

Advertisement