Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graham Linehan banned from twitter for questioning "trans ideology"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭BarnardsLoop

So you're saying everyone in the green party is a bigot?

Slow down there, Cathy Newman! Here's a little linky to the Green Party's view on trans people: https://www.greenparty.ie/policies/justice-reproductive-rights-gender-recognition/
    Introduce a requirement for provision of gender-neutral public toilet facilities.

Add protection for transgender and intersex people by introducing hate crime legislation.

The Green Party supports the amendment of the Gender Recognition Act 2015 to include recognition of non-binary and non-gendered individuals, and to facilitate gender recognition for people under the age of 18. We believe that further policies need to be implemented to support transgender and intersex people in Ireland, including better education to reduce transphobic bullying in schools.

Now maybe you can point out to me there what the relation is between what I said and what you think I said.

Danzy wrote: »
    Lol.

This is the sort of lunacy that is all too common.

Poster makes up something and imagines it is what was said because it suits a psychological need of theirs.

Poster points out something then bigot goes and denies it because they can't argue against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Poster points out something then bigot goes and denies it because they can't argue against it.

Bless me father, for I have sinned.

Bless me father, for I have sinned.
    It's like he valued something more than money, ie like the welfare of kids.

Another reason the modern left/Church had long standing problems with him.

Look, maybe you think everyone is as slow as yourself but most of us here are capable of reading between the (rather obvious) lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Here's a little linky to the Green Party's view on trans people: https://www.greenparty.ie/policies/justice-reproductive-rights-gender-recognition/

Every party is going to make some statement like that, it's good politics. It wins more votes than it loses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Look, maybe you think everyone is as slow as yourself but most of us here are capable of reading between the (rather obvious) lines.

You're just making stuff up.

You read a lot in to things, that's your own mind. Don't conflate it with others.

You seem to have a lot of anger.

You're just making stuff up.

Tone down the not so subtle antisemitism.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

It's like he valued something more than money, ie like the welfare of kids.

Another reason the modern left/Church had long standing problems with him.

He isn't qualified in any way to talk about such a topic. He isn't a doctor he isn't trans or related to a trans person.

He doesn't KNOW any thing. Why is he given this platform?

If you are worried about the side effects of puberty blockers at least learn what they are called.

Similarly if he WAS a doctor he would know synthetic hormone therapy is not typically used in children under 16.

If he were a doctor he would know the difference between puberty blockers and synthetic hormone treatment.

As it goes he is not a doctor. In fact i would wager when he is on TV any doctor that has treated a trans person sighs and goes 'Oh no this idiot again'.

EVERY SINGLE TRANS GROUP I KNOW ..EVERY SINGLE WEBSITE

Has been totally HONEST and upfront about the side effects of puberty blockers for some people.

Here you co check it out ..transcare website

http://www.phsa.ca/transcarebc/child-youth/affirmation-transition/medical-affirmation-transition/puberty-blockers-for-youth

Knock yourself out. Yes puberty blockers are some serious ****!

I wouldn't recommend them. Unless you are going through gender dysphoria ...and even then ..i mean if you can make to 18 without them ..probably better ..if you can't you can't and then you NEED them.

To him this is a topic unrelated to him. He is just looking for a fight.

He doesn't care about trans children OBVIOUSLY or he wouldn't be picking on them.

I laugh when i hear people say ..i care about gay children that is why i am against gay rights! ha!

The funny thing is ...its people like HIM who will look at a transperson ..who has NOT taken puberty blockers or hormones because of PRECISELY the reasons he talks about and mis gender them....'look they haven't even tried!'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭joeguevara

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Haven't a clue about most of this or why Graham Lenihan cares so much about it. Why does he care about it so much?

Graham Linehan was always seen as quite a progressive voice and was lauded as advocating for causes such as feminism. He also was a trailblazer when he poked fun at the Catholic Church when it was revered by the majority. In the IT crowd, which with Father Ted is considered his biggest commercial success, was quite publicly called (Incorrectly imo) out for alleged Transphobia. Since then it looks like he has become obsessed with it and putting right being shamed.

• Advertisement

You read a lot in to things, that's your own mind. Don't conflate it with others.

You seem to have a lot of anger.

Yeah, I'm sure you just brought up the welfare of children for... absolutely no reason at all!

Really this never ceases to amuse me - that people like you think everyone else is stupid enough to think you bring up these things in these discussions for no reason. To... not make any point. Just randomly saying words.

That context has absolutely no bearing on the things people say?

Pull the other one. No seriously, you and all your little friends can all thank each other's posts as much as you want but it won't change what you've said.
    Every party is going to make some statement like that, it's good politics. It wins more votes than it loses.

And?

I'm sorry, is that it? Do you regularly respond to people with random collections of words that have nothing to do with what they said? Should I bother my arse to continue waiting in expectation of an explanation of what the hell the Green Party has to do with anything I've said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Has been totally HONEST and upfront about the side effects of puberty blockers for some people.

http://www.phsa.ca/transcarebc/child-youth/affirmation-transition/medical-affirmation-transition/puberty-blockers-for-youth

He doesn't care about trans children OBVIOUSLY or he wouldn't be picking on them.

I laugh when i hear people say ..i care about gay children that is why i am against gay rights! ha!

Hahahahahahahaha. No. “Fully reversible” has been trotted out so much. I’ve seen it stated in mainstream articles. On Twitter. It’s all gone a bit quiet on that front lately but it is an outright lie to say that all transgender groups were honest about the lack of evidence re: the reversibility of puberty blockers. Even the NHS claimed that they were reversible until VERY recently. The Mayo Clinic still claims that there are no permanent changes in the child’s body. Look it up. As of this evening, they still claim that, despite the NHS admitting that there is no evidence to say that they don’t cause long-term damage.

He isn't qualified in any way to talk about such a topic. He isn't a doctor he isn't trans or related to a trans person.

He doesn't KNOW any thing. Why is he given this platform?

If you are worried about the side effects of puberty blockers at least learn what they are called.

Similarly if he WAS a doctor he would know synthetic hormone therapy is not typically used in children under 16.

If he were a doctor he would know the difference between puberty blockers and synthetic hormone treatment.

As it goes he is not a doctor. In fact i would wager when he is on TV any doctor that has treated a trans person sighs and goes 'Oh no this idiot again'.

I wouldn't recommend them. Unless you are going through gender dysphoria ...and even then ..i mean if you can make to 18 without them ..probably better ..if you can't you can't and then you NEED them.

The funny thing is ...its people like HIM who will look at a transperson ..who has NOT taken puberty blockers or hormones because of PRECISELY the reasons he talks about and mis gender them....'look they haven't even tried!'.

A good post and one I'll take on board.

Rev. Paisley though isn't interested in that, it's about hunting heretics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

ricero wrote: »
    I worry for the world when freedom of speech can be so easily censored.

I dont agree with Lineham on most of his views but we are heading down a dangerous road when we can easily mute differing opinions that go against the woke culture.

Muh free peach!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I think people forget that the internet is a public platform and what you share online is not the same as having a chat about your opinions with your few close friends that think the same way. You cant just say whatever you like.
    You wouldnt walk up to a random trans person on the street and start spewing hate and abuse at them so why would it be ok to do it on the internet where thousands of trans people can view it? Seems cowardly that people feel social media gives them a safe space to bully other people.

I think people forget that the internet is a public platform and what you share online is not the same as having a chat about your opinions with your few close friends that think the same way. You cant just say whatever you like.
    You wouldnt walk up to a random trans person on the street and start spewing hate and abuse at them so why would it be ok to do it on the internet where thousands of trans people can view it? Seems cowardly that people feel social media gives them a safe space to bully other people.

Well, people certainly felt free to spew vitriol at JK Rowling for her crime of stating that biological sex is real and comes with attendant rights (sex-based rights, not gender-based). No concern about that? That’s all fine?

Well, people certainly felt free to spew vitriol at JK Rowling for her crime of stating that biological sex is real and comes with attendant rights (sex-based rights, not gender-based). No concern about that? That’s all fine?

No one ever said it’s acceptable to abuse someone. However, to use that as an argument in defence of Rowlings comments. Being abused doesn’t vindicate the initial behaviour.

Well, JK Rowling felt free to spew abuse at anyone she didn't like and you lot are more than happy to defend her so... I suppose directing abuse at people is okay. As long as they're the right people, right?

Well, JK Rowling felt free to spew abuse at anyone she didn't like and you lot are more than happy to defend her so... I suppose directing abuse at people is okay. As long as they're the right people, right?

Are you JK Rowling?

No, I don't feel the need or desire to hurl abuse at trans people. Maybe you're her?

• Advertisement

joeguevara wrote: »
    No one ever said it’s acceptable to abuse someone. However, to use that as an argument in defence of Rowlings comments. Being abused doesn’t vindicate the initial behaviour.

She states that biological sex is real and that the rights attached to biological sex (as opposed to gender) must be protected. Don’t know about you but I’m fully behind her there. What was controversial about what she said?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

I'm sure it's been mentioned but if you think this is surpression of free speech then you need a reality check.
    He's a bully, regularly attacks people and sets his little crony henchmen on teenagers to abuse them for daring to stand up to him. He's regularly harrassed people on twitter.

That aside, another reality check for you is he's spent several years sending THOUSANDS of tweets, on average one every 12 minutes on one single topic which is his hatred for trans people.

He's obsessed. He's regularly admitted he has mental health issues and has broken down multiple times. He's lost his career, his friends, his family and his wife and now the last outlet for his manic preaching has been taken away from him because of his continued bullying.

No, I don't feel the need or desire to hurl abuse at trans people. Maybe you're her?

Did you just assume my gender?

JK Rowling was very measured. Find me even one statement of hers that was abusive. You’ll flail, you’ll deflect but you won’t be able to produce one. :) Which is fine by me, I’m happy for that to be exposed for all to see.

Did you just assume my gender?

You're not funny. Reddit from 10 years ago wants their ****e jokes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,559 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

sweet_trip wrote: »
    He's obsessed. He's regularly admitted he has mental health issues and has broken down multiple times. He's lost his career, his friends, his family and his wife and now the last outlet for his manic preaching has been taken away from him because of his continued bullying.

I heard he has a Boards account...

sweet_trip wrote: »
    You're not funny. Reddit from 10 years ago wants their ****e jokes back.

No one else is taking the thread seriously.

I heard he has a Boards account...

He most likely does.

Considering he's an internet addict.

Sure the first thing he did when he got banned was go to mumsnet (LOL) to look for sympathy and was promptly told to go away.

Sad sad man.

She states that biological sex is real and that the rights attached to biological sex (as opposed to gender) must be protected. Don’t know about you but I’m fully behind her there. What was controversial about what she said?
    JK Rowling was very measured. Find me even one statement of hers that was abusive. You’ll flail, you’ll deflect but you won’t be able to produce one. :) Which is fine by me, I’m happy for that to be exposed for all to see.

Both of these will go unanswered.

• Advertisement

Because firstly it’s inherently incorrect and basically back of a cigarette packet science. If you are going to get fully behind someone on a topic that is so complicated at least make the person a recognised medic or scientist rather than a kids author. Secondly, by her post she was denying transgender. It is a protected gender. Civil rights trump the ramblings of someone who hasn’t a clue what she is saying.

Advertisement