Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera suggestions

Options
  • 27-06-2020 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Hi

I'm looking to get a good camera mainly for nature/outdoor shots that I can bring with me on my explorations.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Hi

I'm looking to get a good camera mainly for nature/outdoor shots that I can bring with me on my explorations.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

A lot of variables to consider amongst:

New/second hand?
    Budget

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Warbeastrior

GBX wrote:
    New/second hand? Budget

Ideally I would like new and budget wise, I wouldn't opposed spending a few hundred on a top quality one that will last.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just a word of warning - you won't get a top quality camera new for a few hundred quid.
    when you say nature shots, people often mean shots taken from a distance, i.e. with a long lens, of animals who would scarper if you get close; is this what you mean? if so, lens choice may be the biggest factor in your decision.
    unfortunately 'outdoor shots' is a little vague; do you mean wide angle landscapes?

just a word of warning - you won't get a top quality camera new for a few hundred quid. when you say nature shots, people often mean shots taken from a distance, i.e. with a long lens, of animals who would scarper if you get close; is this what you mean? if so, lens choice may be the biggest factor in your decision. unfortunately 'outdoor shots' is a little vague; do you mean wide angle landscapes?

I get ya. I'm completely new to photography. I really just want something that will catch some great shots like sunsets, waterfalls, mountain ranges etc etc
    Currently using my phone for these things (Google Pixel 3a XL)

Its only for personal use but if I was spending a bit of money, I'd like to make sure I get one that will do be a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

I get ya. I'm completely new to photography. I really just want something that will catch some great shots like sunsets, waterfalls, mountain ranges etc etc

Its only for personal use but if I was spending a bit of money, I'd like to make sure I get one that will do be a good while.

Can you explain a bit more about what you consider to be a great shot, quite a lot of images that you may see online could possibly have been post processed hugely and may not be possible to get just by taking a pic, a lot of photography is experimenting with settings and getting it right first time may not always be possible.

Feel free to join a photography club and chat to the members there, you will find great advice and everyone from photo enthusiasts to professionals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I get ya. I'm completely new to photography. I really just want something that will catch some great shots like sunsets, waterfalls, mountain ranges etc etc Currently using my phone for these things (Google Pixel 3a XL)

The photographer... and luck... are what make "great shots" (and what makes a great shot is very subjective.)
    The camera is a tool. More information will help the folks hear assist you in choosing the best tool set for you to try and catch what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

How about something like a Canon M6 MK2 to get you up and running? Prices are down to £800 on Amazon now.

Found a review on this camera here....... http://www.rosie.ie/canon-m6-mk11/

The next step up from this would be DSLR and then it will be down to your lenses. It's all money. At least with these compact mirrorless cameras you can be creative as well and not have to fork out thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭skinny90

throw a budget for what your willing to spend....Size wise were you thinking of something small pocket size or are you happy with a chunkier body along with a lens etc

bare in mind lenses, tripods/ filters for that sunset/waterfall shot may need to be considered

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I started on a Sony A5000, and something similar, maybe an A6100 (or 6500 depending on what you're willing to spend) would do what you want to do.

As has been said, a lot of the shots you've been seeing online are edited, and the photographer will have used different lenses, a tripod, filters, photoshop and will probably have gotten up at 4am to see the sunrise. I'd say start small, get a camera that is better than a phone camera. You pick from Nikon, Canon, Sony and a few others. And you'll generally stick to that brand. I went with Sony as their cameras are small, but their lenses are expensive. If I had my time again I'd probably go Canon.

Thanks for all the input folks.
    Im currently just using my phone camera (Google Pixel 3a XL) for shots when I'm out and about and really looking for a proper upgrade from phone cameras.
    I got a Canon Powershot (can't remember exact model) a few years back as a gift but didn't use it much as it didn't seem like much of an upgrade from my phone. A lens may be a worthwhile investment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Boredstiff666

There is no comparison between a proper camera with decent glass and a phone.

Megapixals mean nothing unless from a quality senser and you dont get a senser of quality behind a bit of plastic and Whatsapp.

In that review link I posted they do some examples of a camera kit lens on the screws and the dogs eye. Try and do that with your Alcatel.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

skinny90 wrote: »
    throw a budget for what your willing to spend....
    Im currently just using my phone camera (Google Pixel 3a XL) for shots when I'm out and about and really looking for a proper upgrade from phone cameras.
    I got a Canon Powershot (can't remember exact model) a few years back as a gift but didn't use it much as it didn't seem like much of an upgrade from my phone. A lens may be a worthwhile investment.

You're making it hard to help you, whats your budget?

Yeah your answer isn’t really helping me to help you. If you can provide me with a rough budget and an idea of what your willing to hold size wise at least we can see what options are best. If your unsure go into a shop like Currys, one with plenty on display and see what you like size wise. No point recommending a dslr if your not going to lug it with a lens attached to it

Sorry folks, money wise.... I'd be willing to spend up to 500 euro or so. Maybe a bit more if there was a very good one.

Size wise, nothing too bulky as id like to be able to take it on hikes etc.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

These types of threads can be very tiresome for people who understand photography. The OP shows that you’ve done no research of your own but expect others to read your mind.

Saying your looking for a ‘good’ camera is pretty pointless, you’re hardly going looking for a bad one? The amount of money you’re willing to spend will determine how good a camera and lenses you will get.

Phone cameras are good enough for most people. They look pretty poor when you zoom in to see details but they get the job done for waterfalls and sunsets and general stuff like that. Smartphones have utterly decimated the compact camera market as a result. The camera industry has shifted to accommodate those looking for the next step up and this typically means a mirrorless system.

Just like dSLRs this means an investment in a particular system. So you need to research cameras and their lens systems. If you want quality you won’t find a single lens that covers all the focal lengths you want. This means planning future spending on additional lenses, which may cost €500 each.

I would recommend you go and look at the photography here and elsewhere and see what you like and what equipment was used. You may find that you only need to better understand the capabilities of your smartphone, or that you’ve primarily interested in photos that require a telephoto lens or a macro lens. Then you can figure what type of body fits in your budget and size needs that can deliver these types of images.

Just from a quick look online, this would do you: https://store.canon.ie/canon-eos-m6-silver-ef-m-15-45mm-is-stm-lens-ef-m-55-200mm-is-stm-lens-graphite/1725C048/?nav=cameras%2Cmirrorlesscameras

You get a camera, a normal range lens and a zoom lens. You'd eventually need to spend more on different lenses etc. There's a good thread at the top of this forum called What Camera? Lots of good advice there.

dory wrote:
    You get a camera, a normal range lens and a zoom lens. You'd eventually need to spend more on different lenses etc. There's a good thread at the top of this forum called What Camera? Lots of good advice there.

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I bought a Nikon d80 years ago for 500£ and still use it today. Have about 4 different lenses including one prime lens. Great but you need to know a LOT

I bought a Nikon d80 years ago for 500£ and still use it today. Have about 4 different lenses including one prime lens. Great but you need to know a LOT

I get ya. Dya mean as in combinations and how to use it effectively?

Well I'm far from even an amateur photographer, I use automatic mode more often than not. But if you start learning the technicalities you can get some amazing shots!! Tbh I carry my Google pixel more often though 🤘 but a DSLR is a solid investment. It's as good as the day I got it

• Advertisement

Well I'm far from even an amateur photographer, I use automatic mode more often than not. But if you start learning the technicalities you can get some amazing shots!! Tbh I carry my Google pixel more often though 🀘 but a DSLR is a solid investment. It's as good as the day I got it

Do you have a Google Pixel phone?

Tony Northup has a good book on photography. It's a good place to start https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Create-Stunning-Digital-Photography-ebook/dp/B006KY2VZ2 .

Buying a camera is a bit like buying a car. You can't buy a Fiesta and wonder why you can't pass out as effectively as you would in a Mondeo. And essentially, a Fiesta is the same as other cars in its class - Fiat Punto, VW Polo etc. You get what you pay for. But with cameras, there really is no point spending a lot of money if you don't take the time to learn what the camera does - different settings etc. YouTube is a great place to start for recommendations and tutorials.

Do you have a Google Pixel phone?

Yep. I have had all the Nexus phones and since then the pixels. Using a pixel 2 at the moment. And you can get some pretty damn good pictures to cover ad hoc moments when I don't have the Nikon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

dory wrote: »
    Buying a camera is a bit like buying a car. You can't buy a Fiesta and wonder why you can't pass out as effectively as you would in a Mondeo. And essentially, a Fiesta is the same as other cars in its class - Fiat Punto, VW Polo etc. You get what you pay for.

To extend the analogy: while your entry-level Fiesta might not have the power and look of a top-of-the range Mondeo, you'll gain a heck of a lot more experience if you can buy the Fiesta and drive it, instead of drooling over the Mondeo brochure while you sit at home trying to save the extra 16k you need to buy one!

@Warbeastrior, as 5uspect suggested, it'd be a good idea to spend some time looking through the Random Photos threads, find the ones that you most like and then try to understand how that photo was taken. Chances are the image could have been recorded by any of the mainstream brand cameras, but there was something else - the "X" factor - that made it a really good photo rather than a snapshot: the time of day, a break in the clouds, the unexpectedly perfect alignment of shadows or people or things ... or the fact that the photographer sat in the same place for two hours on a steaming hot day, took 150 shots of the same scene/action to capture that split-second movement, and then spent three nights going through all those images to find and fine-tune the one that you ended up seeing.

Before you upgrade from your smartphone, you should at the very least be able to identify what technical limitation of the phone is stopping you from taking the pictures you'd like. If you can't say "I'm not getting a satisfactory bokeh" or "the digital zoom just isn't enough" or whatever, then you might first need to do more work on your basic composition and understanding how light, shutter speed and aperture work together.

Sorry folks, money wise.... I'd be willing to spend up to 500 euro or so. Maybe a bit more if there was a very good one.

Size wise, nothing too bulky as id like to be able to take it on hikes etc.

hmm its not a lot but id start looking at the entry level canon and nikon cameras. They will retail around that price.

Would you consider a used camera? if so id check adverts, youll get better cameras.

Old tech will still get you unbelievable photos

I bought a canon 600D and even with some nice glass, as I used it more and learned more techniques I also learned how limited it quickly became...the equivalent model these days is probably the Canon 850D and yes it has a higher pixel res and a few more things maybe a higher processor but its not significantly better

btw thats not a dig against Canon, I still use a Canon full frame system...Nikon and the rest will have equivalent models at similar pricepoints

Advertisement