Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cold handle on mixer tap has come loose?

• 27-06-2020 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

The cold tap handle in the picture below has become loose, not so much so that it has come off the mixer tap completely, but it is no longer gripping, and turning it either way has no effect and the cold water will not turn on - thankfully this happened when the tap was closed!

I have tried applying downward pressure and turning both ways but this made no difference. I then tried pulling the tap upwards as I turned it counter clockwise and I think it may be starting to loosen as to come off.

Is there anyway to fix this, replace just the handle, or will the whole mixer tap have to be replaced?

mazdRdM.jpg?1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Zardaz

The cold tap handle in the picture below has become loose, not so much so that it has come off the mixer tap completely, but it is no longer gripping, and turning it either way has no effect and the cold water will not turn on - thankfully this happened when the tap was closed!

I have tried applying downward pressure and turning both ways but this made no difference. I then tried pulling the tap upwards as I turned it counter clockwise and I think it may be starting to loosen as to come off.

Is there anyway to fix this, replace just the handle, or will the whole mixer tap have to be replaced?

mazdRdM.jpg?1

Pop the round silver cap off the top of the knob, there's probably a crosshead screw under there. loosen that and the plastic knob will come straight off, particularly as you say it's already loose.
    The middle bit of the underside of the knob has probably worn away due to age and stiffness in the valve itself.

You can go into a decent plumber's suppliers (the type of one with an auld lad behind the counter), and get a new pair of plastic knobs a couple of quid, mightn't match the mixer exactly, but should be good enough.

If the valve itself is seized up, you'll need to replace that as well - but will need to turn off the water for that! (You can temporally swap the good knob onto it to check for seizure) A pair of new valves is a few more quid each.

Advertisement