Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Taoiseach

Options
  • 27-06-2020 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

Any opinions on what a Cork Taoiseach will have on Cork? Will it rise again?

Last man was Jack Lynch and before that Michael Collins (not Taoiseach but in charge all the same)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭gifted

He's a chancer......lucky to get elected on the 6th count.....part of FF when they wrecked the country......responsible for the mess that is the HSE........just a very poor politician....and he'll do feck all for anyone let alone Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

gifted wrote: »
    He's a chancer......lucky to get elected on the 6th count.....part of FF when they wrecked the country......responsible for the mess that is the HSE........just a very poor politician....and he'll do feck all for anyone let alone Cork

Aren't you overstating the case against him? Didn't he bring in the smoking ban in the teeth of opposition saving God knows how many lives since.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Is the point of being Taoiseach to lead your government or hand out goodies to your locality?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Is the point of being Taoiseach to lead your government or hand out goodies to your locality?

He told Prendeville that Cork won't be getting any special treatment.

Eamon Ryan on Transport so forget about Dunkettle or the M20..

Of course it is to lead the country first but any Taoiseach or Minister who forgets his constituency will regret it later.

• Advertisement

Truckermal wrote: »
    He told Prendeville that Cork won't be getting any special treatment.

Eamon Ryan on Transport so forget about Dunkettle or the M20..

What about equal treatment? Dublin gets more that a fair share.

saabsaab wrote: »

I know and it's always the case! Coveney would have been our man but unfortunately not this time.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭gifted

Aren't you overstating the case against him? Didn't he bring in the smoking ban in the teeth of opposition saving God knows how many lives since.

And that should excuse him for all the cock ups his party were involved in? He would go into bed with anyone just to get back into power....like I said ...a chancer and hopefully he'll be found out again before he gets a chance to ruin this country

JayZeus wrote: »
    How so?

Next best thing to the pale are the cnuts in Wicklaw...:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Seven Septs

And that should excuse him for all the cock ups his party were involved in? He would go into bed with anyone just to get back into power....like I said ...a chancer and hopefully he'll be found out again before he gets a chance to ruin this country

If Fine Gael were in power during the 2000s they would have done exactly what FF did. It was an international economic crash. FG ran the country into the ground from 1982-87.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Any opinions on what a Cork Taoiseach will have on Cork? Will it rise again?

Last man was Jack Lynch and before that Michael Collins (not Taoiseach but in charge all the same)

Cork was on the rise pre covid. We need serious public sector investment now though as this was sorely lacking over the last decade. I think the M20, M28 and Dunkettle are safe, NRR is probably gone though. In fairness we need huge investment in public transport too so a Green focus may not be a bad thing. Hopefully we can get Busconnects fast tracked and the Luas brought forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

Enda didnt do much for us here up in Mayo during his time, particularly Castlebar. I wouldnt hold my breath.

Enda didnt do much for us here up in Mayo during his time, particularly Castlebar. I wouldnt hold my breath.

I heard that. Was it held against him?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Lucky? Not sure you understand how elections work. There's no "luck" involved. He was elected second in the constituency and got 96.5% of a quota in first preferences and got a second colleague over the line in the same constituency in Michael McGrath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I hope he does more than the Cork Tanaiste, not that I'll be holding my breath. I will give him credit for the smoking ban though, the publicans fought it and he didn't relent on that.

A Taoiseach or minister who doesn't do anything for their constituency won't fair well at another election.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

saabsaab wrote:
    I heard that. Was it held against him?

Well it definitely was when he resorted to calling us whingers about it.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    A Taoiseach or minister who doesn't do anything for their constituency won't fair well at another election.

Well then people need to get real if that's what they expect of a Taoiseach. A leader for the whole country, not just for Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

JayZeus wrote: »
    How so?

Because lots of companies are headquartered in Dublin , they pay taxes for all their countrywide outlets from a central source so Dublin can then claim to collect the most tax .

Well then people need to get real if that's what they expect of a Taoiseach. A leader for the whole country, not just for Cork.

Our electoral system is rooted in local politics and always has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

There was no major opposition to the intro of the smoking ban.

Vintners fought it tooth and nail. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/vintners-slam-government-s-smoking-ban-proposal-1.424130

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Lucky? Not sure you understand how elections work. There's no "luck" involved. He was elected second in the constituency and got 96.5% of a quota in first preferences and got a second colleague over the line in the same constituency in Michael McGrath.

Go away with your sensible post. Rabble rabble rabble notmytaoiseach, rabble rabble rabble

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I’m guessing you don’t understand the STV system. It sure looks like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Go away with your sensible post. Rabble rabble rabble notmytaoiseach, rabble rabble rabble

Christ...this notmytaoiseach BS is so stupid. I know you are being sarcastic by the way and this isn't aimed at you.

I have very little time for MM or FF but he is now the Taoiseach. I wont agree with a lot of what he says or does but FFS he is not going to destroy the country. He is not Trump or Johnson. I wish him well. I really don't think he lies or is in anyway dishonest. So just suck it up and hope he does a good job for all.

I think so far we have been quite lucky in that our politicians do actually want what is best for the country rather than their own self interest. I even include SF in that :-)
    Let's hope it stays that way.

Our electoral system is rooted in local politics and always has been.

If you want a Healy Rae type who will get you trinkets, why don't you vote for one, or stand yourself as a man of the peeeeple?

Who out there in the current lot is best for goodies? Come on now, don't tell me they're all useless? How on earth do they get elected?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Almost everyone was opposed to it.
    I knew non smokers who thought it would ruin pubs and was a ridiculous case of nannystateism and, as already mentioned, the publicans fought tooth and nail against it.

There was nothing to be gained from pushing this unpopular agenda, yet he doggedly pushed it even as members of his own party opposed it. It was a rare brave and selfless political act for which he should be remembered.

Having said that, I never have and most likely never will vote for FF.

I met him as a young TD in about 1993 and afterwards said to my friend that man was being groomed to be taoiseach. Took 27 years for me to be proved right. I'm not sure I ever wanted to be proved right, but there you go.

• Advertisement

If you want a Healy Rae type who will get you trinkets, why don't you vote for one, or stand yourself as a man of the peeeeple?

Who out there in the current lot is best for goodies? Come on now, don't tell me they're all useless? How on earth do they get elected?

That's how politics in Ireland works. Ministers all over the country have delivered investment for their constituents. If they were meant to be purely focused on national politics then we should have a list system like they do in other countries. Historically Cork ministers are pretty bad at it though.

Advertisement