Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Taoiseach

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I guess we'll see. All politicians use the review card. Civil service too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

namloc1980 wrote: »
    To be honest the Cork Greens are a bit of an unusual crowd. Seems to be a fair bit of infighting going on there. And they seem to be more focused on "social justice" issues than traditional Green issues. I wouldn't be too concerned about them.

I am concerned ref Green's,carbon tax, blocking the motorway to limerick etc,they are out of touch with working class people

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I am concerned ref Green's,carbon tax, blocking the motorway to limerick etc,they are out of touch with working class people

FF & FG are previously committed to a Carbon tax and they control the purse strings - but the Greens will get the blame. And the M20 is at least 5 years from being ready for construction - a long way to go yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

mcko wrote: »
    <SNIPPED TROLL COMMENT>.

Why is it ok to say this about anyone in public?

This is simply unjustified bullying.

I'm not a FF voter by any means, and not a subscriber to their politics. I've had plenty of dealings with Michael Martin in business life and through community work in Cork city. I've never found him to be anything other than helpful, focused and polite.

But beyond all that, he's a human being like anyone else. Lives in a housing estate, has a wife and kids, no airs and graces about him.

The vitriol people throw at our TDs is absolutely disgusting. Whatever the politics, why sink to personal abuse? How do you expect to get any kind of decent representation when you think tarring and feathering them is what they should expect at a minimum while in public office? It's petty, childish, and when we tolerate this, it makes us collectively appear to be louts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Name calling not permited, offending user banned. Keep reportingthese posts, we may not get to them immediately but we get them. Dont get sucked into feedingthe troll

• Advertisement

I wish him well. The 'new' Government is facing into a financial crisis along with a probable resurgence of Covid in the next few months. A perfect storm.

FF & FG are previously committed to a Carbon tax and they control the purse strings - but the Greens will get the blame. And the M20 is at least 5 years from being ready for construction - a long way to go yet.

Ref carbon tax Green's are getting it over the line,and motorway to Limerick be it 5/10 years away won't even be looked at while tbe Green's and their out of touch with reality policies are implemented,,,,not a party for the ordinary working man end of,
    Sooner they join labour and tb rest of the non runners tbe better

gifted wrote: »
    Review....review....review.....MM favourite get out of jail card......hey Micheal...what time is it?....waiting for a review ...next question please.

A very poor politician and seeing what he's done to his deputy leader a politician I wouldn't turn my back on in a hurry.

Hes a ditherer, complete no decision man, no new ideas , and FFS what do we expect from an unpopular politician, scraped in on the 5th count,, why? Because he's not wanted

saabsaab wrote: »
    'As Minister for Education and Science, he oversaw an increase in spending at all levels of education, while a number of educational initiatives, such as a review of the primary school curriculum and the introduction of special needs assistants'

Yet still more prefab schools went up during his tenure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I bloody hope not. Cork gets enough compared to say my home county of Donegal.

• Advertisement

Hes a ditherer, complete no decision man, no new ideas , and FFS what do we expect from an unpopular politician, scraped in on the 5th count,, why? Because he's not wanted

Scraped in? He got 96.5% of a quota in first preferences. For someone who's "not wanted", that's a phenomenal return! You clearly don't understand how our elections work.

I must say they need to seriously improve voter education of the electoral system. Quite a few posts on this thread and all across social media since the General Election make it frighteningly clear how little many people know about how our elections work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Pretty good going to get 2 of 4 seats when the party leader is not wanted

Ref carbon tax Green's are getting it over the line,and motorway to Limerick be it 5/10 years away won't even be looked at while tbe Green's and their out of touch with reality policies are implemented,,,,not a party for the ordinary working man end of,
    Sooner they join labour and tb rest of the non runners tbe better

Once again FF and FG are in favour of carbon taxes. You can blame the Greens all you want but it won't change that fact that both FF and FG specifically outlined it in their manifestos before the election their commitment to increasing carbon tax over the next 10 years. All 3 parties are committed to it, not just the Greens.

The M20 is still going ahead and is at least 5 years from construction as has already been stated.

John Doe1 wrote: »
    I bloody hope not. Cork gets enough compared to say my home county of Donegal.

Donegal gets forgotten about right enough. A pity, since it's a lovely spot of the West coast.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

It hardly matters where Mr. Martin comes from, he bends the knee to whatever progressive ideology that will gain him office and hands out rewards to his locale to provide for re-election.

Manach wrote: »
    It hardly matters where Mr. Martin comes from, he bends the knee to whatever progressive ideology that will gain him office and hands out rewards to his locale to provide for re-election.

By that reasoning it should matter to Cork!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

saabsaab wrote: »
    By that reasoning it should matter to Cork!

AFAIR from a course that had a section on political patronage, it showed a link taken for one particular department, Sport and the home constitutency of the Minister. No matter what the party, the constituency of whatever minister got funds above and beyond the norm. Also a book that goes into this behaviour is "The Dictator's Handbook: Why Bad Behavior Is Almost Always Good Politics".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Yet still more prefab schools went up during his tenure

And as a direct result of Micheal, the DCD/Dyspraxia unit was born in St. Finbarrs, later dismantled by FG. Dismantling resulted in a huge backlog in diagnosis.

He's a normal guy, give him a chance

Scraped in? He got 96.5% of a quota in first preferences. For someone who's "not wanted", that's a phenomenal return! You clearly don't understand how our elections work.

I must say they need to seriously improve voter education of the electoral system. Quite a few posts on this thread and all across social media since the General Election make it frighteningly clear how little many people know about how our elections work.
    sixth count in Cork South Central with 11,505 votes, 76 over the quota.

Yes I'd call that scraped, irrespective he's bad for the country, McGrath would make a better taoiseach and FF leader, and undoubtedly will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

As a Carrigaline resident I agree
    Pedestrianise the main street. Bulldoze the carpark and build a town centre there. The cars can go around from either side and buy the cark park off the fella in the middle of the place who has messed up the town for decades. Problem solved:)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

You'd be some lemon if you decided not to mange your vote, top the poll and miss out on a getable second seat for your party in your constituency.

Yes I'd call that scraped, irrespective he's bad for the country, McGrath would make a better taoiseach and FF leader, and undoubtedly will

I see you're responding to yourself now. Fair play! BTW McGrath got elected without even reaching a quota so going by your logic he shouldn't be anywhere near Taoiseach or any such job. How do you square that one??

Also Martin was elected on the first count at every election from 1997 to 2016 and got 96.5% of a quota in 2020. For a fella who's "hated" he seems to be pretty popular all the same! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Your understanding of STV is poor to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You forgot to change profile before quoting and agreeing with yourself.:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

FF got over 20000 votes in Cork S.C. and brought in two T.D.s.
    O Laoire and McDonalds' big egos were afraid to have a running mate in case they lost the "Poll topper" title.
    I know the Shinners are new to democracy but even their most ignorant supporter should know how P.R. works

Norma Foley was quick out of the blocks looking after local interests:

Back to what I was asking what will it mean for Cork! Might be good for the rest in the West?

Looks like he is about to fix the Minister from the West issue. Being decisive.

• Advertisement

Fixed now.

Advertisement