Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Job

Options
  • 27-06-2020 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭

I'm stuck in a crap job and want to move into IT.

It's a big field, what area would be best to move to? Software/Networking? Catch all computer science be best and move to specific area after?

I really don't know where to start but I'd like to get into a course come September, id like to keep the crap job and do online though for the right course I'd leave.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What is your favourite part of using computers?

There is plenty of courses on youtube, have you looked there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭dmc17

Do you have a degree already? If so, you could do a 1 year HDip conversion course into an IT field. Springboard provide them and I think enrollment has just opened for September.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

biko wrote: »
    What is your favourite part of using computers?

There is plenty of courses on youtube, have you looked there?

I would agree with this.

Do the groundwork now and learn a little before you commit to something.

dmc17 wrote: »
    Do you have a degree already? If so, you could do a 1 year HDip conversion course into an IT field. Springboard provide them and I think enrollment has just opened for September.

Second this OP. I did it in Maynooth in the 2013/2014 academic year and was one of the best decisions I'd ever made. Got me an entry level job in an IT department where I was able to move into Analytics gradually.

Edit - I would echo other users to have a look at a few things on YouTube first before you decide what you're interested in. A lot of these conversion courses are Computer Science heavy so it's worth knowing that's what youd like to do

Advertisement