Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour Falling Out / Hedging

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Based on this post, maybe you had some anger issues?

No. I don't think so. I did find it a bit shocking that they would just trespass into the back garden and mutilate the trees the way they did but I think my response was proportional to what the neighbours did and not an anger issue on my part. There was never any angry confrontation with the neighbours and as I mentioned I just took the easy option and moved to somewhere with less anti social behavior. I don't think getting angry would have been any use in that situation and doing something about it in changing the place I live was a much better response.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

If its high enough to give you privacy its high enough to block sunlight on their side. It must be very annoying for them not being able to plant flowers in their garden because of an ever growing hedge blocking sunlight.

It's a pity you havent told them that it's their hedge too because they're within their rights to reduce the height?!

Just tell them, and let it be trimmed. 6 foot high boundaries are not the norm in front gardrens.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How much is crippling expensive?

I got a price for a brick wall between houses in Dublin, it was 2-3 years ago but was 700 quid between both houses so 350...that was red brick

I wouldn’t put that in crippling expensive
    About 1k per linear metre of 2m high stone wall faced on both sides.

What height and depth was the brick wall? Any piers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

If they really hate the hedge, it must be a real irritant to them. And really if the hedge belongs to both gardens, then their opinion is just as important as Ops. I wouldn't like being on the ugly side of a hedge that was supposedly half mine but that I had no say about either. Looking around the other homes on the street, which were built and separated originally in the same fashion, what is the norm now, these high front hedges or no ? That would give an idea of how many other neighbours would take kindly to this type of hedge. Cutting it back a foot or two would be a good compromise imho and the thing about the Gardai needs to be cleared up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Maybe you used to looking through iron bars...

I did not mean leave forever, hopefully they will reflect on false allegation and be easier to talk to at later time.
    I think if i was living next to difficult people i would also move, i once lived next to people and they would never speak unless i spoke first, they used to leave light on that shone into my back door which was half glass, it was difficult but i ignored.
    I eventually developed good relationship with them...

After i moved i seen the woman in the family attacking a TD on the news about a hospital issue.
    I met her afterwards and congratulated her...

Why would you congratulate someone for attacking a TD?

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »

Why are you building a 2m high stone wall at the front of a house?

Next you will be putting in a moat

It was one pier and a standard height wall at front of house

Why are you building a 2m high stone wall at the front of a house?

Next you will be putting in a moat

It was one pier and a standard height wall at front of house

Boundary wall on a large site, not along the roadway/path.

The house is over 10m from any boundary so it would make no sense to drop the height.

I do actually have a moat. I'd post pics but it's off topic.

Boundary wall on a large site, not along the roadway/path.

The house is over 10m from any boundary so it would make no sense to drop the height.

I do actually have a moat. I'd post pics but it's off topic.

The OP is talking about a wall between houses at the front....not the back garden.....

If you built a 2m wall I think that would be the end of the argument, the neighbour would hate you for ever :-)

The OP is talking about a wall between houses at the front....not the back garden.....

If you built a 2m wall I think that would be the end of the argument, the neighbour would hate you for ever :-)

But 2m is perfectly allowed along any boundary except along a path or road. There's nothing special about the front or back.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭omeara1113

I agree
    Move house now!
    Lived for a short while in a semi-detached with neighbours who dumped their clippings from a shrub in the front garden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

€1000 per linear metre !
    On what planet ?

And if it's a stone wall, why would you then be facing it?
    99.9% of garden walls are cavity or solid block.

But 2m is perfectly allowed along any boundary except along a path or road. There's nothing special about the front or back.

The neighbour has complained about light, you going to put in a 2m wall as the boundary wall at the front of the house???

Who would think that is acceptable?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Based on this post, maybe you had some anger issues?

Stick to the topic at hand rather than trying to get a rise out of another poster.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Utterly brilliant question.

Oh wait, I meant utterly irrelevant.

You don't get to decide what's relevant to the thread, check your attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

With neighbours, there is more to consider than what's "allowed". Presumably, you would like them to consider the impact on you of what they do in their garden and therefore they deserve the same respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Sinus pain wrote: »
    It’s not his hedge it’s a boundary hedge planted by the builder - it’s both neighbours hedge

A boundary hedge generally belongs to one neighbour. It has to have been planted on one neighbors land as there's no such thing as no-mans land between properties.

It should be on the ordnance survey map of the property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hannibal36

omeara1113 wrote: »
    I agree
    Move house now!
    Lived for a short while in a semi-detached with neighbours who dumped their clippings from a shrub in the front garden

These moving house posts are madness,you want to spend the rest of your life running because you meet some ignorant person.

Stop being weak be firm and fair and if they don't like it tell them where to get off do not let people bully you like this,this is schoolyard stuff happening in adulthood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭blackbox

Sorry for your troubles, OP. It sounds like your neighbours are not the most pleasant.

I am a keen gardener, nevertheless I consider a Berberis hedge to be a nasty, prickly thing. It would be especially nasty if it was 6 ft high.

Ask them if they would like you to cut it down to a more civilised 3 ft and maybe you might get a positive response. (I know you said it's on the boundary and they could do this themselves, but it might be seen as a friendly offer).

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭omeara1113

Hannibal36 wrote: »
    These moving house posts are madness,you want to spend the rest of your life running because you meet some ignorant person.

Stop being weak be firm and fair and if they don't like it tell them where to get off do not let people bully you like this,this is schoolyard stuff happening in adulthood.

We lived beside a neighbour from hell years ago we got on great for about 10 years dont know what happened but it was like a switch was pressed
    We endured 3 years of total torture and went to a solicitor and his words to us was
    "Your as well off moving in my experience an old witch like that lives forever "
    That was in 2002 the last 18years have been bliss I'm speaking from experience so I wish the OP the best with whatever decision they make

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    €1000 per linear metre !
    On what planet ?

And if it's a stone wall, why would you then be facing it?
    99.9% of garden walls are cavity or solid block.

i'd presume he meant facing the block wall on both sides with stone.

The price is realistic when you consider materials and labour for foundations, block wall and stone wall x 2.

I don't know where you got your figure of 99.9% from but it is way off even if you've never seen a garden wall outside of a housing estate.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Why would you congratulate someone for attacking a TD?

Because he said he do something and did not fulfill what he said he would.
    He is no longer a TD thankfully, it was verbal challenge to what he had said he would try to keep for his people, it was a funny incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Hannibal36

omeara1113 wrote: »
    We lived beside a neighbour from hell years ago we got on great for about 10 years dont know what happened but it was like a switch was pressed
    We endured 3 years of total torture and went to a solicitor and his words to us was
    "Your as well off moving in my experience an old witch like that lives forever "
    That was in 2002 the last 18years have been bliss I'm speaking from experience so I wish the OP the best with whatever decision they make

These people like off fear and weakness,once they smell fear or weakness off you they won't stop.I suppose if you can't stand up to them you are better off moving but my advice to the op is to find their inner anger and let them feel it and know you won't be walked on or it will continue and go from one thing to another.

This has damn all to do with the issue of trees,its about bullying.Normal people can sort these issues with civilised conversations,it is people bullying their neighbours and dropping their life problems on them because they think they can,and they will,because they see weakness.That is the plain and simple truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

i'd presume he meant facing the block wall on both sides with stone.

The price is realistic when you consider materials and labour for foundations, block wall and stone wall x 2.

I don't know where you got your figure of 99.9% from but it is way off even if you've never seen a garden wall outside of a housing estate.

If I was building a wall, I wouldn't be facing the neighbours side with cut stone!
    They could plant a hedge of their own if they wanted.
    You need to get a few more quotes if your builder came back with a price of €1000 a metre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If I was building a wall, I wouldn't be facing the neighbours side with cut stone!
    They could plant a hedge of their own if they wanted.
    You need to get a few more quotes if your builder came back with a price of €1000 a metre.

But you're not, so it's irrelevant.

Also when you say 1,000 a meter you're forgetting to mention it's a linear meter x 2 meter's high on both sides which is actually 4 square meters of stone per linear meter, plus you have a block wall in the middle and a foundation capable of holding it all to consider as well. That's a lot of materials needed as well as a lot of skilled labour.

I don't need one either so I don't need any quotes, but if I did want one I'd be doing it myself.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Who would think that is acceptable?

The planning authorities. I'm not proposing it, I'm just giving an example of the cost I was quoted for a wall on my own property.

I'm not going to get into the details of lime mortared stone wall construction, but you're right that it is expensive, that's why most walls are block built and look terrible, regardless of how they're finished. Like most of South Dublin.

A hedge or fence forms the most cost effective boundary that actually looks good. Most people who build walls have zero sense of aesthetics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

is this in a council controlled area / on a street front ?
    legally you are allowed a height of 120 cm or 4 foot front boundary in such areas from what i have experienced .

and 2 meters at at the rear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

always confused about this. Citizens Advice says 1.2m height walls or 2m at the side or rear.

Does that mean 2m for walls right along the side boundary of a front garden or 2m at the rear and just the bit of the side that is between the houses?

lots of our neighbours have high hedges in front, imo they look better than a 2m wall :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭DrGreenThumb82

Take out the hedge immediately.

Replace with Leylandii.

That'll shut them up. You'll also never see them or their house again.

:lol:

Take out the hedge immediately.

Replace with Leylandii.

That'll shut them up. You'll also never see them or their house again.

:lol:

Hate leylandii

• Advertisement

always confused about this. Citizens Advice says 1.2m height walls or 2m at the side or rear.

Does that mean 2m for walls right along the side boundary of a front garden or 2m at the rear and just the bit of the side that is between the houses?

lots of our neighbours have high hedges in front, imo they look better than a 2m wall :eek:

Aha I'm wrong!

"The height of any such structure shall not exceed 2 metres or, in the case of a wall or fence within or bounding any garden or other space in front of a house, 1.2 metres"

I read a different interpretation earlier but that is the actual legislation.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2001/si/600/made/en/print#part2

Advertisement