Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky dish

• 28-06-2020 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Is there any benefit having a Sky dish on a house if not subscribing to Sky?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Is it the standard dish? You should be able to receive the FTA channels without a sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,862 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes you can get the following channels free...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_free-to-air_channels_at_28%C2%B0E

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

It's a second hand house that I bought, has a dish. There is a cable to the sitting with two inserts for putting into sky box. I've been using Netflix before this. I am about 15m from NI border so should get Freeview. Have a smart tv. Do I need an old Sky box to get the fta channels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

A freesat box costs about €80 or if you have a TV that has a satellite tuner built in you don't need the box. Most LG TVs have a tuner built in. I'm also close to the border and have freesat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Is there any benefit having a Sky dish on a house if not subscribing to Sky?

If you log on to Ebay uk and purchase a sky DRX595 multiroom box aswell as a "white card" which is a sky subscription card from someone in the uk which is no longer subscribed to sky,
    This will provide you you with loads of good channels for free,

As said by others though; alot of modern smartTv now have a sattelite tumer built in to receive freeview channels aswell as terrestrial channels, so before purchasing a freeview or sky box; check the television for an F-Type connector

I've got four sky DRX595 multiroom boxes fitted in my home all with uk sky cards fitted; for the purpose of freeview,
    My main subscription is with VirginMedia,
    Amazon subscription is also quite cheap with many benefits for purchasing items aswell as some fairly good shows including the GrandTour if you have Amazon on your smartTv
    I've got a home improvement thread here where I've done a whole house network and television installation without any cables on view; also added HDMI modulator to share one blu-ray player throughout the house aswell as a CCTV system which has the main storage safe in the attic, might be of interest, I bought all of the pre moulded cables from Amazon and the Belden cable from ebay uk.
    Link: https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

It's a second hand house that I bought, has a dish. There is a cable to the sitting with two inserts for putting into sky box. I've been using Netflix before this. I am about 15m from NI border so should get Freeview. Have a smart tv. Do I need an old Sky box to get the fta channels?

Freeview is the UK terrestrial service, nothing to do with satellite dishes. UK free-to-air satellite is available all over Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dubrov

With an aerial, you should get all the free UK (freeview) and Irish (Saorview) channels.

A satellite dish will give you all the UK channels only unless you subscribe to sky (Irish channels are encrypted in satellite).

Satellite dishes are widely used further south in Ireland to get the free UK channels as the freeview signal is too weak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It depends on which transmitter(s) the aerial can receive, remembering that none of them intend to include any part of the Republic in their service areas.

From memory there are three high power Full Freeview transmitters in the North, Divis, Brougher and Limavady. Others like Camlough and Strabane are lower power and carry a reduced number of channels. That is called Freeview Light.

https://www.smartaerials.co.uk/blog/what-is-freeview-lite-light

Some east coast areas can receive transmitters from GB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Tv should have its own receiver, plug in cable and see what comes up

It depends on which transmitter(s) the aerial can receive, remembering that none of them intend to include any part of the Republic in their service areas.

From memory there are three high power Full Freeview transmitters in the North, Divis, Brougher and Limavady. Others like Camlough and Strabane are lower power and carry a reduced number of channels. That is called Freeview Light.

https://www.smartaerials.co.uk/blog/what-is-freeview-lite-light

Some east coast areas can receive transmitters from GB.

I think Irish television is broadcast in mpeg4 where uk is mpeg3 aswell, I remember when purchasing a digital tv tuner for my focus which is great for social distance lunch breaks in work;
    Had to be mpeg4 compatible to receive irish tv stations, not sure if that makes any difference to receiving both irish and uk stations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭swoofer

That looks like breakfast!! Very nice though, like the tray, where can I get one for a mondeo??

swoofer wrote: »
    That looks like breakfast!! Very nice though, like the tray, where can I get one for a mondeo??

Yeah that was breakfast �� 6am flask of milk
    It's a universal fit, with the 2010 focus I had to put the steering wheel upside down to get the table level not sure if you will need to do that in the mondeo but it shouldn't matter when your parked it works really well and fits under the seat when not in use link https://www.amazon.co.uk/Steering-Wheel-Portable-Laptop-Multi/dp/B07H5L776B/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=car+table&qid=1593355380&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzNkJKV0ZSVko4SVpBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDYxNTI0M005TjZDV01JOTFFMiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMjA3MjQxMVRCVVpDUU9LRlBDMSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
    I have a list of guides here:
    https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/68214-full-list-lennys-guides/

Sorry back on topic now.

Tv should have its own receiver, plug in cable and see what comes up

There are two cables to input, probably wouldn't go into my tv

swoofer wrote: »

Wonder if they are frosties or cron flakes. I'm getting hungry now.

Wonder if they are frosties or cron flakes. I'm getting hungry now.

Crunchy Nut cornflakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

LenWoods wrote: »
    If you log on to Ebay uk and purchase a sky DRX595 multiroom box aswell as a "white card" which is a sky subscription card from someone in the uk which is no longer subscribed to sky,
    This will provide you you with loads of good channels for free,

As said by others though; alot of modern smartTv now have a sattelite tumer built in to receive freeview channels aswell as terrestrial channels, so before purchasing a freeview or sky box; check the television for an F-Type connector

I've got four sky DRX595 multiroom boxes fitted in my home all with uk sky cards fitted; for the purpose of freeview,
    My main subscription is with VirginMedia,
    Amazon subscription is also quite cheap with many benefits for purchasing items aswell as some fairly good shows including the GrandTour if you have Amazon on your smartTv
    I've got a home improvement thread here where I've done a whole house network and television installation without any cables on view; also added HDMI modulator to share one blu-ray player throughout the house aswell as a CCTV system which has the main storage safe in the attic, might be of interest, I bought all of the pre moulded cables from Amazon and the Belden cable from ebay uk.
    Link: https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/

You don't need the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭ooter

@LenWoods will that sky multiroom box and card get any extra channels that you wouldnt get on a fta receiver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

winston_1 wrote: »
    You don't need the cards.

If the boxes were Irish, then they will default to RTE 1 on 101, etc. So you'll still have to add ITV/Channel 5 via other channels. UK card will default to BBC 1 on 101/etc. (I think)

ooter wrote: »
    @LenWoods will that sky multiroom box and card get any extra channels that you wouldnt get on a fta receiver?

Not sure to be honest; the list is here:
      Sony Entertainment,  Sony Entertainment+1
     Sony Movie Channel, Sony Movie Channel+1
     Insight TV,  4 Music 
     Motors TV, Yesterday +1

SKY HD BOX EXTRA CHANNELS: 
     BBC One HD, BBC Two HD
     BBC Three HD, BBC Four HD
     BBC News HD, CBeebies HD
     ITV HD, Channel 4 HD

FULL CHANNEL LIST: 
    BBC One, BBC Two HD
    ITV 1, Channel 4  
    Channel 5, Dave
    BBC 1 HD, BBC Four HD 
    ITV2, ITV3  
    ITV4 , 5STAR
    S4C, E4
    More 4, 4Seven
    4 Music, 5 USA
    Really, Drama
    Quest HD, Challenge 
    CBS Reality, CBS Drama
    CBS Action, Quest Red
    5Spike, 5 Select
    Yesterday, Sony Crime
    Home, Paramount
    PBS America, 4 our TV
    BBC AIBA, Food Network
    Together, BEN
    ITV2 +1, Sony Crime 2
    GNTV, Horse and County
    Propeller, BLAZE
    Property Show, my TV 
    CLTV, Vox Africa
    BET:BlackENTv, ABN TV
    Travel Channel, Cruise Channel
    ITV+1, Channel4+1
    Channel5+1, ITV2+1
    ITV3+1, ITV4+1
    5STAR+1, E4+1
    More4+1, 5USA+1
    QUEST+1, Challange+1
    CBS Reality+1, QUEST Red+1
    5 Spike+1, Pick+1
    Yesterday+1, Sony Crime+1
    Food Netwrk+1, True Ent+1
    tru TV+1, Travel Ch+1 
    Film 4, Film4+1
    Horror channel, Horror Channel +1  
    True Christmas, Sony Movie Channel 
    Sony Movie Channel +1, Movies4Men  
    Movies4Men +1,Talking Pictures 
    ROK, Box Upfront
    The BOX , Box Hits
    Kiss, Magic 
    Kerrang, Chart Show TV 
    The Vault, Scuzz  
    Now 90s, Startz TV
    Christmas HIts, Now 80s
    Clubland TV, Total Country
    Keep It Country, Free sports
    Front Runner, Forces TV
    Insight HD, FAME TV
    YANGA!, AIT Int’l
    Showcase, SkySpBox off
    Sky News, Bloomberg Television  
    BBC News HD, BBC Parliament 
    CNBC, CNN 
    NHK World HD, Euronens
    CGTN News, NDTV 24x7 
    RT HD, France Eng 
    Al Jazeera Eng, CNC World 
    TRT World HD, TVC News 
    Channel 24, Arise News 
    Psychic Today, God Channel  
    Revelation, TBN UK  
    Daystar, Inspiration 
    Loveworld TV, Gospel Channel   
    Word Network, EWTN Catholic 
    Faith World TV, KICC  TV  
    Believe TV, SonLife 
    Faith UK, Hillsong
    CBBC HD, CBeebies HD 
    POP, Tiny Pop 
    CITV, Tiny Pop +1 
    Pop+1, Pop Max
    Pop Max+1, CBBC
    C Beebies, QVC 
    JML Direct, TJC 
    QVC Style, Ideal World 
    Gems TV, High Street Tv1
    Retail TV, High Street TV  
    Best Direct, Primal Cure
    Ideal Extra, High Street TV3
    Hochanda, Jewellery Maker 
    High Street TV3, TV Warehouse 
    QVC Beauty, Pavers Shoes TV 
    Thane, Juwelo UK
    QVC Xmas, Create & Craft 
    Shop Now, Price Crash
    Sewing Quarter, Cruise1st.tv
    PCNE Chinese, MTA Muslim TV  
    Jus Punjabi, PTV Prime  
    MATV National, Abu Dhabi TV 
    TV5 Monde, HUM Masala
    TV Record HD, GEO News  
    PDTV Global, New Vision TV
    Venus TV, Islam Channel 
    GEO TV, ABP News 
    Noor TV, Peace TV  
    CHS TV, GEO Kahani   
    Aaj Tak, IQRA TV  
    92 News, Islam TV
    Brit Asia TV, QRA BANGLA  
    Ahlebait TV, ATN Bangla UK  
    Maani Channel, Sikh Channel  
    Peace TV Urdu, Ahlulbayt TV 
    Samaa, Takbeer TV  
    Sangat, Aastha  
    NTV, Sky News Arabia  
    TV 99, Akaal Channel 
    HUM Europe, British Muslim  
    Safeer TV, TV One 
    Dunya News, Islam Channel Urdu  
    Channel 44, Eman Channel
    KTV, Aplus TV
    ION TV, ARY Family
    Kanshi TV, VTV
    A1TV, Iran Int’l
    NTAI, HUM News
    BBC Two Eng, Channel 5
    S4C, &TV 
    Muslim Ummah, Al Arabiya
    TV Record, Quest
    Gay Network, Chat Box  
    Bloomberg, BBC News
    CNN, RT
    AlJazeera Eng, TRT World
    Psychic Today, Sky intro
    Playboy TV Chat, Television X
    Babenation, Exrated 40+
    Lucky Star, Studio 66 
    babes and brazzers, Xpanded TV2
    Climax, Studio 66 2 
    Studio 66 3, Chat box
    Sky Intro, BBC 1 Scotland HD 
    BBC1 Wales HD, BBC1 Northern Ireland HD 
    BBC1 London, BBC One NESC
    BBC1 Yorkshire, BBC1 YK & Li 
    BBC1 West Midlands, BBC1 East Midlands 
    BBC1 East E, BBC1 East W 
    BBC1 South East, BBC1 South 
    BBC1 Oxford, BBC1 West 
    BBC1 South West, BBC1 Cl 
    BBC2 Scotland, BBC2 Wales
    BBC2 Northern Ireland
    ITV 974 Channel 4 
    Channel 4, Channel 4 +1 
    BBC1 Scotland, BBC1 Wales 
    BBC1 Northern Ireland, BBC RB1 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

That list must be very out of date ....... just to pick one channel listed ......
    Motorsport.tv was a pan-European digital television channel dedicated to motorsport. It ceased broadcasting in late September 2018

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorsport.tv

• Advertisement

dulpit wrote: »
    If the boxes were Irish, then they will default to RTE 1 on 101, etc. So you'll still have to add ITV/Channel 5 via other channels. UK card will default to BBC 1 on 101/etc. (I think)

Yep that's correct

Have a six month old smart tv. It has a "terrestrial tv" app. I am having broadband installed on Friday by a local company and they are providing an iptv box with my subscription with 50 preloaded channels, rte, BBC, etc so it looks like I don't need the dish.

Have a six month old smart tv. It has a "terrestrial tv" app. I am having broadband installed on Friday by a local company and they are providing an iptv box with my subscription with 50 preloaded channels, rte, BBC, etc so it looks like I don't need the dish.

If the dish and its cable isn't in an unsightly location I'd suggest keeping it,

I've had eir before which is provided as IPTV the user interface wasn't the easiest to get used to, the box itself used to freeze or display like Lego blocks; then the price went up to almost €100 per month,

Overall it's your house and your thread on here too lol do what you want,
    Just saying if it was me and it wasn't unsightly I'd keep it,
    My dish is fitted to the side of my chimney on the top of an Apex roof; all cables come in to the attic,
    I dont like seeing cables clipped down the wall or a dish half blocking a bathroom window like an eclipse.
    In those cases I can understand wanting rid.

Advertisement