Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future looks good for Simon Harris

Options
  • 28-06-2020 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

So Simon Harris no longer has to deal with the mess that is the Health Portfolio ever again and has put the poison chalice behind him at the tender age of 33.

By the time, FG get a chance to rule the country singled handily again, he won't have to cover the Health Portfolio again, the cervical cancer scandal & the cost of the children's hospital will be forgotten and he can trade of the back of the success at keeping covid19 very low in the country. Even if there is a second surge, it won't be on his watch.

It won't surprise me at all if he ends up as Taoiseach in time despite everything. Politics in this country is mind boggling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

The man is after aging about 25 years in the last 3 months, he'd want to take it easy.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

The man is after aging about 25 years in the last 3 months, he'd want to take it easy.

You could see him actually losing about 5 of those gained years today - Minister for Higher Education and Innovation must be a plum job compared to the poisoned chalice that is Health.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Education is gonna be a mess for the next year at least more if Covid19 second wave happens Colleges and Universities want to continue with fees as is even going as far as to say the costs should be higher as the courses now have to be redone and adapted for on-line participating by students. Student registration fees as in the €3000 contribution fee also still seems to be sticking yet students will be on campus very little in most cases. He is out of the frying pan and into the fire is poor Simon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I'd hope Donnelly really goes into consultant mode in his role and makes the changes needed. He is ex Mc Kinsey so should be able to put a programme for change in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Pretzill wrote: »
    You could see him actually losing about 5 of those gained years today - Minister for Higher Education and Innovation must be a plum job compared to the poisoned chalice that is Health.

I haven't seen him today but I hope you're right.

To be honest I thought he did great job over the last number of months when we as a country needed him most.

He stepped up to the plate and carried out his duties like a seasoned politician, he didn't give off the vibe that he was engaging in theatrics as Leo did a lot of the time.

He's a young man still and has gained a lot of experience of crisis management at the top level which will stand him and us in good stead once he looks after himself.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Harris is one of the few politicians at the moment who strikes me as having serious integrity and I'd trust him further than most of the rest. There are few in any party I'd say that about.

Covid has clearly aged him and he deserves the country's respect. If there was an approval rating on him, it'd be through the roof.

Donnelly will have a tough act to follow although he is also well capable compared to the average FF'er and I wish him well - yes some understandable frustrations at constituency level over his party change, but to be fair, one can hardly blame him. Whatever "turncoat" comments people want to make , fact is he was far too good to be wasted on the Social Democrats.

If I could put money on it I'd say both will be either Taoiseach or Tánaiste in their lifetimes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I'm already looking forward to his first boo-boo...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

What did he do? Second worst in the world after Canada for nursing home deaths and worst I the world for health care workers infection cases!

And that's after he forced the collapse of a govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I haven't seen him today but I hope you're right.

To be honest I thought he did great job over the last number of months when we as a country needed him most.

He stepped up to the plate and carried out his duties like a seasoned politician, he didn't give off the vibe that he was engaging in theatrics as Leo did a lot of the time.

He's a young man still and has gained a lot of experience of crisis management at the top level which will stand him and us in good stead once he looks after himself.

I agree and previous to Covid times I thought he was failing spectacularly but he stepped up and I think that will stand to him, at on age belieing his grey hairs (I better stop now or I may, like Varadaker quote LOTR , Heaney or somesuch)

Education is gonna be a mess for the next year at least more if Covid19 second wave happens Colleges and Universities want to continue with fees as is even going as far as to say the costs should be higher as the courses now have to be redone and adapted for on-line participating by students. Student registration fees as in the €3000 contribution fee also still seems to be sticking yet students will be on campus very little in most cases. He is out of the frying pan and into the fire is poor Simon.

Simon won't be losing sleep over your 8 year old getting insufficient amounts of homework, when he was probably losing sleep over people on trollies in every major hospital in the land.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Fann Linn wrote: »
    What did he do? Second worst in the world after Canada for nursing home deaths and worst I the world for health care workers infection cases!

It was one of the most head-scratching phenomenons of the covid threads, and right here, how poster after poster said "I think he's doing a good job." He was so obviously out of his depth and not making decisions but acting as a mouthpiece for the "experts."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Looking at him today with his relieved expression and hopeful expression I couldn't but feel sorry for him.

The health service had loads of money but it is wasted in levels of inefficiency only surpassed by the higher education sector with the added complication of there genuinely not being nearly enough money.

If he thought the health unions were hard to deal with wait until he starts talking to the academic unions. If he thought the patients could be irrational wait until he has a delegation of cocky 18 year olds from the USI screaming at him across a desk.

And as for this Innovation portfolio when was the last time the Irish civil service was actually innovative. Innovation tends to happen when the government gets out of the way of the private sector. They may throw a few million at it in terms of grants and research vouchers but most of that will go through Leo's department so Simon will be left with the crumbs.

It was like watching a worn down old dog being led away into a back room by a vet while the kids are told he's going to a nice farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It is remarkable how is has been considered by media and thr blue ticks to have done a great job on Covid despite the fact that we have one of the highest death rates in the world. There isn't even a debate on it. It was a complete and utter disaster.

Then there is the fact that the government fell because FF were about to go with a no confidence vote on him in health, he was doing that badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

sabat wrote: »
    It was one of the most head-scratching phenomenons of the covid threads, and right here, how poster after poster said "I think he's doing a good job." He was so obviously out of his depth and not making decisions but acting as a mouthpiece for the "experts."

When you look at the US and UK we should thank our lucky stars we had a government who deferred to experts.

It is remarkable how is has been considered by media and thr blue ticks to have done a great job on Covid despite the fact that we have one of the highest death rates in the world. There isn't even a debate on it. It was a complete and utter disaster.

Then there is the fact that the government fell because FF were about to go with a no confidence vote on him in health, he was doing that badly.

That's true but it preceded the Covid crisis. And crisis very much helps determine the measure of the (wo)man.

It truly is a poisoned chalice. There is such a deeply ingrained culture of waste in the HSE that nothing short of a political revolution could change it. Well beyond the power of any minister, even if you put Mahatma Gandhi in there he'd come out with a stained reputation.

*(wo) added, despite the fact that's it's a turn of phrase and I shouldn't have to, so that I don't get in trouble with the liberal gestapo.

I haven't seen a single credible analysis that shows any such thing and yet i see it as a one-line claim everywhere

what type of concerted movement cares so little for rational fact that it could wheel out so many to tell such an obvious lie and expect to keep the respect of any onlooker?

on a totally unrelated note.....do you follow a particular political leaning yourself im asking for a friend.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I'd hope Donnelly really goes into consultant mode in his role and makes the changes needed. He is ex Mc Kinsey so should be able to put a programme for change in place.

theres three main problems with the irish public sector, two are for other threads and the third is consultants being brought over the heads of serious public service experience to brainstorm this year's wonder ideology miracle theory and waltzing off with their fees when it all goes tits up the second it hits actual public practice realities

if we spent half that money on services and the other half on hiring actual staff in those roles that would be committed through implementation and responsible for results we would be doing the state a huge service

When you look at the US and UK we should thank our lucky stars we had a government who deferred to experts.

Our deaths per million isn't too far behind the U.S. We have been regularly trading positions over the last couple of months.

When you take out the microstates, they are the 7th worst in the world and we are the 9th worst

Our deaths per million isn't too far behind the U.S. We have been regularly trading positions over the last couple of months.

When you take out the microstates, they are the 7th worst in the world and we are the 9th worst

aaaand i still havent seen a credible analysis

edit: and i missed yr answer about your own political leanings, sorry

I haven't seen a single credible analysis that shows any such thing and yet i see it as a one-line claim everywhere

what type of concerted movement cares so little for rational fact that it could wheel out so many to tell such an obvious lie and expect to keep the respect of any onlooker?

on a totally unrelated note.....do you follow a particular political leaning yourself im asking for a friend.

9/01/2020 Rural independents were gonna pull the plug on Harris. I'm on the phone so cannot post links but just input 'Harris no confidence' into Google and you'll get all the info you need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Yes Harris has come out of the Covid 19 situation with a generally very positive public view of his handling of things. I’d say he hasn’t slept more than a couple of hours a night since it all started and like others have said he literally aged in front of our eyes. Either that or he just ran out of hair dye.

Donnelly has an arguably tougher job, the financial hangover is going to be excruciating and I personally don’t think he will be able for that portfolio. Would not be surprised to see him moved on in the first reshuffle. He has been very prominent in opposition on a lot of key issues in the past so I am very keen to see how he gets on. The role will make or break him.

We are a million miles ahead of the Yanks (hardly high praise). Whatever we say may say about ourselves, and I hate FFG, we've been far more transparent than almost any country. Few other countries have let it known that we abandoned our old folks.

lol i should be clear

im awful happy that there is no such credible analysis and im certainly not googling what rural independents think in order to go seeking it

every fair and complete analysis ive seen shows ireland performing very well indeed and tbh id be absolutely gobsmacked if any line otherwise had any substance that a certain party/cadre didnt desperately wish was true but isnt.

but post it if you have it, surely.

in the meantime, harris has had a very fine few months, health is an awful posting and he should hopefully enjoy a bit of a break before going head to head with coveney in November for the leadership

lol i should be clear

im awful happy that there is no such credible analysis and im certainly not googling what rural independents think in order to go seeking it

every fair and complete analysis ive seen shows ireland performing very well indeed and tbh id be absolutely gobsmacked if any line otherwise had any substance that a certain party/cadre didnt desperately wish was true but isnt.

but post it if you have it, surely.

in the meantime, harris has had a very fine few months, health is an awful posting and he should hopefully enjoy a bit of a break before going head to head with coveney in November for the leadership

Sound. Wallow in the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

But the difference is widening by the day. At one stage the orange one even mentioned us as being worse than them, something he can never say again. A lot of our deaths happened early on, before see started dealing with it properly, and the nursing homes were a disgrace. Hopefully we have learned something

theres three main problems with the irish public sector, two are for other threads and the third is consultants being brought over the heads of serious public service experience to brainstorm this year's wonder ideology miracle theory and waltzing off with their fees when it all goes tits up the second it hits actual public practice realities

if we spent half that money on services and the other half on hiring actual staff in those roles that would be committed through implementation and responsible for results we would be doing the state a huge service

Disagree entirely.

There are committed public servants and there are surplus public servants.
    Where the venn diagram overlaps those excess staff should be redeployed.
    Where anything else is true they should be dispensed with.

For sure, too much is spent on consultancy. But mostly, that is due to the exercise being repeated, often multiple times, because not enough progress (or often, none at all) is made implementing the recommendations of the first consultant.

Just look at Metro as an inane example.
    The entire route was surveyed and detailed engineering plans drawn up many years ago. It was existentially ready for diggers and shovels.
    Then the entire thing was redone, and of course rebranded, because politics demanded it due to a GAA pitch being out of service for 2-3 years (ironically, it is now out of service anyway).

joeysoap wrote: »
    But the difference is widening by the day. At one stage the orange one even mentioned us as being worse than them, something he can never say again. A lot of our deaths happened early on, before see started dealing with it properly, and the nursing homes were a disgrace. Hopefully we have learned something

That's fair enough with the US response but we were still an absolute disaster compared to about 90% of the other countries. When we are comparing to countries surrounding Italy like Slovenia, Croatia and Austria they are in a total different league than us. Croatia have 1m less population than us and only have had 107 deaths, we have had 1734 deaths.

I don't want to derail the thread on Harris but I cannot have this narrative that the country did a great job when it was an absolute complete cluster****.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

ChikiChiki wrote: »

What fooking age are you?
    Do you still believe in Santa ?

No politician can make the changes needed because they would be fired immediately for daring to take on all the vested interests that has the HSE and health service the way it is.
    and that includes the nurses, the consultants, the admin staff, the tech staff, the whole lot who run to their unions or representative body if someone tires to make the slightest change.

And as for the spoofer donnelly who as the Indians used to say speaks with "forked tongue".
    I still remember the night I met him at a Wicklow door to look for a vote in 2011 when he lambasted fianna fail and what they had done.

Yeah he was quick enough to jump into bed with them to further his career.

And as for harris taking over education, he hasn't shown much interest in education to date.
    In fact he didn't seem that bothered kids in his own town don't have secondary school places, an issue that was apparent years ago but hasn't been dealt with and means kids will now spend three years in prefabs.

the only one that seems to have done anything for anyone in that neck of the woods is the new TD Whitmore.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

195 countries in the world and we’re being compared to those in the top 5 worst Covid situation. Convenient!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Here ya go buddy. Top ten worst performance, Simon done a great job! https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

Advertisement