Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L’Oreal to remove the word “white” and “whitening from product labels.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

joeguevara wrote: »
    So for one example, Linehan did so much extensive research on a random person that he found a photograph of them prior to undergoing gender reassignment surgery and published to the entire world with the sole objective to shame that person. Are you saying that was only for sh1ts and giggles. But just for a bit of clarity in every equality law that defines and bullying and harassment it explicitly states that the intention of the perpetrator is irrelevant and the only relevance is how it makes the person feel. Here is one article describing that.

It does come across that you jumped straight from post #2 to straight into a typical rant on virtue signalling completely disregarding the fact that pretty much every single person who are on both sides of the argument universally agree that his actions were reprehensible and a ban was deserved.

You conveniently forgot the whole point of my post, or maybe you just flew into a rage because you were triggered, or looking for something offensive in what I wrote.

the key point you missed was .....

...INTENT

• Registered Users Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭joeguevara

jim salter wrote: »
    You conveniently forgot the whole point of my post, or maybe you just flew into a rage because you were triggered, or looking for something offensive in what I wrote.

the key point you missed was .....

...INTENT

Jim, I was posting between this thread and the Graham Linehan bullying thread. I got mixed up because specifically intent is a key word in bullying which is relevant to the Graham Linehan. Luckily I copped on before I made a holy show of myself.

You are right in the instance of the Loreal issue. If a person takes something as offensive when its not supposed to be then its on the person who was just acting butt hurt.

I suppose it shows not to be flicking between two threads that have similar themes.

Jim, I was posting between this thread and the Graham Linehan bullying thread. I got mixed up because specifically intent is a key word in bullying which is relevant to the Graham Linehan. Luckily I copped on before I made a holy show of myself.

You are right in the instance of the Loreal issue. If a person takes something as offensive when its not supposed to be then its on the person who was just acting butt hurt.

I suppose it shows not to be flicking between two threads that have similar themes.

Apologies

Apologies

Don't apologise at all. Completely my fault. Luckily it clicked in the nick of time. I had spent 15 minutes writing out a doozy. I swear it was probably my best work ever and was worthy of a Pullitzer. I had plots, sub plots, developed characters, asking you did you want to stop for a break in case you needed to do another boo boo like you did before.

I had outlined how mistaken you are. I had stopped asking did you want to go over it again. I created a nursery rhyme with built in mnemonics to assist memory of what is correct. I created memory cards for you to assist with home schooling.

When I had completed it, I literally stood back to take it all in. I was admiring the weaving and lyrical sway of how I got from point A but enough time to learn a lesson at each assist point. Yes there was assist points in built to this ultimate insult. Although it was learning based game I still ensured there was competition and fun.

As it was so good I didn't want to colour it in myself so called a graphic artist who was going to see they could do a line drawing of my interpretation of you but only in my mind. Just as they were about to finish, I thought to myself, this Jim while clearly a moron and a bit dim, couldn't have missed my construction and then destruction of intent argument. Because of this flicker I rechecked the unit with the paragraph in question. It was then that it had dawned on me that after months of planning and ensuring everything was checked and rechecked was that I had completely misread an entire thread and/or poem. Jesus and the angels were upstairs protecting me to day. Cause if I had pressed that on button and anyone had seen it, I would be hiding in a sleeping bag in Barneys house. We all cheered and that is where the story finished with me. Cant belieb

• Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Is there going to become a time now in this life of my life where im in a car dealership... i take a test drive.. like the car... agree a price.. start talking about spec etc... automatic.. heated seats... exectutive trim.. in WHITE !!!

" im sorry sir... im going to have to ask you to leave or else order ethical pearl "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,692 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Strumms wrote: »
    Is there going to become a time now in this life of my life where im in a car dealership... i take a test drive.. like the car... agree a price.. start talking about spec etc... automatic.. heated seats... exectutive trim.. in WHITE !!!

" im sorry sir... im going to have to ask you to leave or else order ethical pearl "

Nah, by the time you are in a position to go to a dealership to talk about buying a new car, you'll be an adult and hopefully be able to understand the nuance of this whole conversation and that talking about the your preference for a car of a particular colour is no problem.

Unless of course you expect to be saying loudly that it has to be white because nothing good ever came from anything that wasn't white or stuff like that. If so, you might have an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,494 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Nah, by the time you are in a position to go to a dealership to talk about buying a new car, you'll be an adult and hopefully be able to understand the nuance of this whole conversation and that talking about the your preference for a car of a particular colour is no problem.

Unless of course you expect to be saying loudly that it has to be white because nothing good ever came from anything that wasn't white or stuff like that. If so, you might have an issue.

Ohhh how smarmy of you. By the time I’m an adult ? :), maybe you can let me know when you reach that milestone and we can both endeavor to have a conversation... now put your toys away please, you’ll trip yourself up !

Don't apologise at all. Completely my fault. Luckily it clicked in the nick of time. I had spent 15 minutes writing out a doozy. I swear it was probably my best work ever and was worthy of a Pullitzer. I had plots, sub plots, developed characters, asking you did you want to stop for a break in case you needed to do another boo boo like you did before.

I had outlined how mistaken you are. I had stopped asking did you want to go over it again. I created a nursery rhyme with built in mnemonics to assist memory of what is correct. I created memory cards for you to assist with home schooling.

When I had completed it, I literally stood back to take it all in. I was admiring the weaving and lyrical sway of how I got from point A but enough time to learn a lesson at each assist point. Yes there was assist points in built to this ultimate insult. Although it was learning based game I still ensured there was competition and fun.

As it was so good I didn't want to colour it in myself so called a graphic artist who was going to see they could do a line drawing of my interpretation of you but only in my mind. Just as they were about to finish, I thought to myself, this Jim while clearly a moron and a bit dim, couldn't have missed my construction and then destruction of intent argument. Because of this flicker I rechecked the unit with the paragraph in question. It was then that it had dawned on me that after months of planning and ensuring everything was checked and rechecked was that I had completely misread an entire thread and/or poem. Jesus and the angels were upstairs protecting me to day. Cause if I had pressed that on button and anyone had seen it, I would be hiding in a sleeping bag in Barneys house. We all cheered and that is where the story finished with me. Cant belieb

Wow, even triggered by an apology...oh well

Wow, even triggered by an apology...oh well

I was joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

you can have any colour you like, as long as it's black...

• Advertisement

you can have any colour you like, as long as it's black...

Due to pressure from Lewis Hamilton, the Mercedes F1 team have changed the colour of their cars from silver to black as a statement to show that they stand against racism and are being praised for it.
    I go to a fancy dress party with my face painted black and a tea cosy with bed springs hanging from it on my head and I get dogs abuse.
    White privilege my ****ing arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I cant wait until a few Trinity students that think we are American here find the words Black and white pudding problematic and demand we change it. Also the anti-white sentiment from some on here is disgusting, here is an idea, how about you learn to not be anti any race. Your ancestors assuming you are Irish did not colonize nor take slaves and we the Irish were under the same oppression/discrimination as all the other colonized countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

This topic has virtually nothing to do with white people; and certainly has nothing to do with white Irish people. Even the title of this thread misrepresents the actual headline which the companies themselves put out:
    L'Oreal said in a statement that it had "decided to remove the words 'white/whitening', 'fair/fairness', 'light/lightening' from all its skin evening products".

Of course only mentioning the 'white' part whips up a sufficient frenzy in a certain sort of person who only sees headlines and makes assumptions so they can be suitably outraged on internet fora.

Nobody is saying you can't have a white car, and certainly nobody in this thread is making any judgement about how attractive white skin is. Grow up.

ronivek wrote: »
    This topic has virtually nothing to do with white people; and certainly has nothing to do with white Irish people. Even the title of this thread misrepresents the actual headline which the companies themselves put out:

Of course only mentioning the 'white' part whips up a sufficient frenzy in a certain sort of person who only sees headlines and makes assumptions so they can be suitably outraged on internet fora.

Nobody is saying you can't have a white car, and certainly nobody in this thread is making any judgement about how attractive white skin is. Grow up.

Stop talking sense. I have 50 quid on a sweep stakes that someone will bring up fake tan in the next 6 hours.

I cant wait until a few Trinity students that think we are American here find the words Black and white pudding problematic and demand we change it. Also the anti-white sentiment from some on here is disgusting, here is an idea, how about you learn to not be anti any race. Your ancestors assuming you are Irish did not colonize nor take slaves and we the Irish were under the same oppression/discrimination as all the other colonized countries.

What anti white or anti Irish sentiment is on here? Well apart from stereotyping trinity

I think peoples issues are that what L'Oreal are doing is a complete knee jerk reaction to what is happening in America, it is not just L'Oreal who is guilty of this, The voice actors for certain non white cartoon characters stepping down, Uncle Ben's removing Uncle Ben, the list goes on, These things would not be happening if there were no Protests/riots happening right now and it is not really a step forward, more a token gesture which does not help progress the root problem.

What anti white or anti Irish sentiment is on here? Well apart from stereotyping trinity

Sorry I was not clear, I meant more the Current Affairs/IMHO in general, you are correct that this thread has actually been more civil than most.

I think peoples issues are that what L'Oreal are doing is a complete knee jerk reaction to what is happening in America, it is not just L'Oreal who is guilty of this, The voice actors for certain non white cartoon characters stepping down, Uncle Ben's removing Uncle Ben, the list goes on, These things would not be happening if there were no Protests/riots happening right now and it is not really a step forward, more a token gesture which does not help progress the root problem.

People who have an issue of a picture of a slave being taken off uncle bens packaging is lack of knowledge.

Removing the word whitening has been discussed for the last 6 years so not knee jerk.

Without civil rights march in Derry we could still be 2nd class citizens.

Change happens.

Removing slave emblems is not wrong. Just because people don’t know the meaning behind it and follow jimbob on a site who makes up lies.

The people who think these are token gestures are the ones who don’t know what it’s like to have images of a cruel past on every day items

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I think peoples issues are that what L'Oreal are doing is a complete knee jerk reaction to what is happening in America, it is not just L'Oreal who is guilty of this,

How can it be a "knee-jerk reaction" to what is happening in America when these particular changes started last year?

As already stated in this thread it was Unilever India who first made this exact change in 2019. Granted it does look like the significant press around these issues has probably led to the timing of the other companies following their example. Hardly a "knee-jerk" reaction however; issues around skin whitening have existed for many years in many parts of the world most notably Africa and Asia.
    The voice actors for certain non white cartoon characters stepping down, Uncle Ben's removing Uncle Ben, the list goes on, These things would not be happening if there were no Protests/riots happening right now and it is not really a step forward, more a token gesture which does not help progress the root problem.

Isn't there a thread for the whole voice actor thing? I would argue that's a completely different issue than the ones relating to skin tone and this thread.

As far as the whole "token gesture" thing; precisely what other kinds of gesture do you think companies should be making? L'Oreal and similar companies produce skincare and self care related products; what precise kind of gesture do you think they can make which would "help progress the root problem"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

How can it be a "knee-jerk reaction" to what is happening in America when these particular changes started last year?

As already stated in this thread it was Unilever India who first made this exact change in 2019. Granted it does look like the significant press around these issues has probably led to the timing of the other companies following their example. Hardly a "knee-jerk" reaction however; issues around skin whitening have existed for many years in many parts of the world most notably Africa and Asia.

Isn't there a thread for the whole voice actor thing? I would argue that's a completely different issue than the ones relating to skin tone and this thread.

As far as the whole "token gesture" thing; precisely what other kinds of gesture do you think companies should be making? L'Oreal and similar companies produce skincare and self care related products; what precise kind of gesture do you think they can make which would "help progress the root problem"?

One of the characters in south park is a black child named Token

• Advertisement

Are you saying that it was going to happen at this time during the year regardless of what is happening in America, timing is the knee jerk and the other issues are all related, as I said all these changes are knee jerk.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,692 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Are you saying that it was going to happen at this time during the year regardless of what is happening in America, timing is the knee jerk and the other issues are all related, as I said all these changes are knee jerk.

Every thing we say and do is influenced by what is going on in the world at that particular moment.

The term knee jerk implies that something would not have happened but for another event. As pointed out to you, there were already actions being taken in this regard over the last number of years. Recent events have expedited what was already in motion.

Or do we just say that your post is 'knee jerk' because it is only happening now as the companies are making changes?

One of the characters in south park is a black child named Token

His surname is black too. It's brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

They've finally done it

https://twitter.com/cjbush/status/1308746693421211654

Now just to update the social media channels...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

L’Oreal to remove the word “white” and “whitening from product labels.

OMO & DAZ to follow suit.....

No more "whiter than white" on washing powder!
    All colours should have equal rights, not just the whites.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

I woke up and read this and thought I was in a parallel universe....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

They've finally done it

I really dont understand this one , nobody who gave a sh*t about all this crap was buying uncle bens anyway, its not like ‘lidl generic brand value rice’ had a problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

They've finally done it

I’ve been waiting for that to happen.

So, ugh, is it the ‘Uncle’ part? Cuz removing a black man from a logo seems kinda racist.

I’ve been waiting for that to happen.

So, ugh, is it the ‘Uncle’ part? Cuz removing a black man from a logo seems kinda racist.
    e
    A black man in a bow tie, is consistently seen as a consistent symbol of a black man in servitude. Couple that with the fact that he is called Uncle, and the fact that rice plantations were manned by slaves in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

e
    A black man in a bow tie, is consistently seen as a consistent symbol of a black man in servitude. Couple that with the fact that he is called Uncle, and the fact that rice plantations were manned by slaves in the US.

Fair nuff

Advertisement