Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hostile will the new government be for Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

alta stare wrote: »
    I cant see them ever tolling the M9. They will just tax us working people as it is far less hassle than investing in a motorway toll.

I hope not too but it would be sold as an easy “green win”, raising revenue and also Taxing “polluters”. Would also save on maintenance costs which currently come from national coffers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

karlitob wrote: »
    Not as hostile as Waterford is to everyone else.

For some reason, notions of having a university in a small city, in a small country, and two cath-labs that are not required.

It’s either a massive inferiority complex or a massive superiority complex. I can’t figure it out.

Why don’t you do some research on the topics you mention and how they affect Waterford instead of making stupid posts, you’ll be able to figure it out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

BBM77 wrote: »
    Why don’t you do some research on the topics you mention and how they affect Waterford instead of making stupid posts, you’ll be able to figure it out then.

Ah, I just won’t bother to go there instead. Just like a university won’t be there, a second cath lab, and an international airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

road_high wrote: »
    Waterford barely tallies as Munster proper it would serve the south Leinster area mainly plus east Waterford.
    SNN, cork, Kerry aren’t especially viable and are always struggling. One more centrally located airport would have made sense but as usual in Munster everyone had to have their own

Mad!!! So Waterford is now ‘barely’ in Munster. Does this affect Waterfords place in the Munster hurling championship, or just international air travel.

But you’ve confirmed - you do think that Munster needs 4 international airports. And ireland needs 7 in total.

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Is the best case the passive indifference exhibited by previous governments or will this government be actively hostile?

While I don't think they'll downgrade the M9 to a HQDC or downgrade the status of WIT, I can see them actively agitating for the complete closure of the Airport. I can easily see progressively more shipping diverted from Waterford to Cork/Ringaskiddy.

I'm not sure about the Hospital - can it be downgraded further? Now the second-cath lab has been delayed is that an opportunity to instigate further 'reviews'.

Maybe instead of these headline grabbers it will be death by a thousands cuts?

Remembering some of the things that happened in the past, some of them under Micheál Martin it is hard not to be concerned about what this government is going to do to Waterford. There was even a mention in Micheál Martin’s speech of restructuring education. Restructuring is a loaded term for Waterford when you have no minister and a Cork Taoiseach and minister for public expenditure.

On a positive note, as Varadkar is now minister for enterprise, trade and employment there may be a push to get new FDI in Waterford in an attempt to win back a FG seat in Waterford. That is how Genzyme came to Waterford. Mary Harney was trying to win a seat in Waterford for the Progressive Democrats when she was minister for enterprise, trade and employment and surprise surprise a big multinational pharma company appeared as if by magic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Mad!!! So Waterford is now ‘barely’ in Munster. Does this affect Waterfords place in the Munster hurling championship, or just international air travel.

But you’ve confirmed - you do think that Munster needs 4 international airports. And ireland needs 7 in total.

I’m not from Waterford but yes it’s on a limb geographically. Could easily be stuck in with Leinster, no one would notice the difference. That’s the hinterland Waterford is part of.
    That’s exactly what I’d didn’t say- sorry, I said cork, SNN and kerry should have all built in one central location like Mallow

Ah, I just won’t bother to go there instead. Just like a university won’t be there, a second cath lab, and an international airport.

Clearly a five year old has got hold of a laptop somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

No I don’t work in the HG.

You can’t compare staff to bed ratios as there is a wide variety of services, expertises and clinical/non-clinical staff. Cork is the only hospital in the country with every speciality. It has always been a regional hospital. Waterford is a general hospital. They don’t have the same services.

Is there discrepancies across the country - of course there is. UHL have a quarter less docs and half the number of HSCPs pro rata when compared to Beaumont, for the same catchment area as Beaumont and quarter less the beds. But Beaumont have twice the average length of stay. I can sing you a song from every hospital in every part of the country. The answer is that we need a national response to health which means a strategic plan of what services and what staff should go where, based on a finite budget. Someone is gonna ‘lose out’ as they see it. They can ‘fight’ for local services but the HSE has to provide a national service and that is extremely challenging as I hope you would agree. Especially with competing interests, single issue agendas and political interference. All with the continuing problem that people won’t pay more for services or accept that some services will move and will be better for it.
    I made comment earlier on cancer centres of excellence. Where’s all the noise now? So many lives have been saved. Does Waterford want a service back that cannot provide the same outcomes for its citizens.

I don’t know what is happening with no new urology referrals. It appears as simple as getting through the backlog. But I do know that there’s no one in a room plotting to downgrade a hospital. Can I ask - why do you think they want to downgrade the hospital? What is the nefarious reason?

The RHA will be a positive step. It’s essentially back to the Integrated Service Area of Prof Drumm era in 2008 which was abandoned because the docs wanted the hospital groupings to align with the universities. News flash - not all clinical staff are angels. Some are out for themselves.

UHW is a constituent hopsital of the group. The group is tasked with implementing the service plan as laid out by government ie gov policy. No group - or hospital - or any public service really has the control over finances and services that you think.

Sure wasn’t the group lead front and centre with Waterford colleagues, and others, on the first report on cardiac services. Doesn’t sound like an attempt to downgrade the service. Seems like your argument is gone with that point.
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/top-consultants-reject-south-east-cardiac-services-report-35061854.html

You're clearly trying to change subject/move goalposts or whatever, a lot of the campaign for cancer treatment somewhere in the southeast came before there was a motorway and it was a regular outcome that if you wanted to eba t home you ghot to make the lovely trip to one of the dublin hospitals which would take roughly 4-6 hours and then get the lovely treatment and another 4-6 hours travel home when you were able to make the trip. This of course affected outcomes but hey who cares about the suffering of those people and their families because "some people are losers".

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Clearly a five year old has got hold of a laptop somewhere.

I'm inclined to agree with the poster! Talk has been going on for years in regard to all of these and yet we're still talking! In another 20 years we'll still be talking about the North Quays and a bridge across the Suir!

Yes I would love an airport in Waterford with options! I would love a university for the city with all the possibilities that it could bring in improving the city financially!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

That’s exactly what I’m saying. There are insufficient numbers of people requiring a stent outside of cores hours so that it would be staffed safely by competent doctors who have sufficient numbers of procedures to ensure continuing competence. This has already been highlighted, presented to government, presented to the Dail. There is currently a group set up by DoH that will likely approve the extra lab (a mobile unit). This is a political decision to satiate Waterford people and the outgoing looney TD Halligan. Regardless no cardiologist will apply for a job there.

I recognise your focus on heart disease and stroke. If you really cared about the lives of your fellow Waterford citizens you would be demanding more investment in healthy ireland and personal responsibility from your fellow citizens.

The main causes of heart disease and stroke is inactivity, smoking, drinking, Overweight, poor diet etc. The treatment for heart disease is not to wait until someone is seriously ill but to prevent it by increasing activity, Reducing obesity, improving diet, reducing stress etc etc.

But that’s hard to do - it’s much easier to have a cath lab and pretend like it’s a key determinant to health. Besides cork is available outside of hours - as it’s always been.

Clearly you have no idea about the numbers of patients requiring thrombectomy in the South East,- the refusal to build a second lab was a sop to Cork as thay had lost their North Kerry catchment to Limerick - thanks to the investment in PCI services in Limerick.

The problem for UHW and the second Cath lab is Cork , as it will not be viable.

• Advertisement

Again, there is no ‘downgrade’ of ardkeen. It’s tin hat stuff to think that not getting an unsafe service is a downgrade.

And more inferiority complex. Not getting university status is not a personal attack on Waterford.

Loosing urology services pretty soon as well, surgeons not given theatre time so are moving on..

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JimWinters

For some reason, notions of having a university in a small city, in a small country, and two cath-labs that are not required.

It’s either a massive inferiority complex or a massive superiority complex. I can’t figure it out.

So in response to this comment. It’s not an inferiority complex when the politically disenfranchised people of Waterford have no faith in their own politicians. Our neighbours have stronger representation and have had ministerial positions to our detriment.

In some cases they have been better advocates for bigger slices of the pie for their own constituencies. On other fronts, they have proactively blocked Waterford from progressing, changed the terms of reports to suit them, ignored reports that don’t suit them and adopted plans that further their goals of stagnating Waterford. If you need examples I can provide many in terms of the Cath Lab, WIT and the boundary extension that would have made Waterford a 5 seat constituency. This last one is tantamount to gerrymandering!

Our local esteemed government TD and new taoiseach

https://mobile.twitter.com/247cathlab/status/1276931244123709440/photo/1

No more or less than any of the others. If Waterford had a fully functional airport you’d get a lot of people south of Naas that would use it for the convenience factor and choice. That would work both ways

They wont now,that its openly speculated,the government wants to toll the M9

The second cath lab is in the program for government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

No more or less than any of the others. If Waterford had a fully functional airport you’d get a lot of people south of Naas that would use it for the convenience factor and choice. That would work both ways

There was one here and it did not work for many reasons with the price being one of them. They were too expensive to fly out from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

They wont now,that its openly speculated,the government wants to toll the M9

Can you please show as to where you are seeing this? And which government are you referring to? Hardly this new one now sure they are only in place a few days and i doubt one of their main priorities was to toll the M9...we have worse things to be worrying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Some load of nonsense from the usual online/social media in regards the Cath Lab. Know of several companies we deal with who have tendered for the job to construct the 2nd Cath Lab. The award of tender i think is due this week or next.

Also, i don't care if there is no Minister from the South East or the West as long most relevant/strongest people are put in the departments for what's best for the country as a whole. We need to get away from the whole geographical/gender appointment scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Gardner wrote: »
    Some load of nonsense from the usual online/social media in regards the Cath Lab. Know of several companies we deal with who have tendered for the job to construct the 2nd Cath Lab. The award of tender i think is due this week or next.

Also, i don't care if there is no Minister from the South East or the West as long most relevant/strongest people are put in the departments for what's best for the country as a whole. We need to get away from the whole geographical/gender appointment scenario.

My understanding is that pre tender discussions and pre-qualification are nearing completion or have been just completed, but that actual tender to construct second cath lab has not been issued. Presumably that will happen shortly after which there will be several months discussion/delay before tender is awarded.

We might all agree in an ideal world that the best ministerial candidate should be put in place but Irish politics mixed with local influences is still not there yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

high road has hit upon something that probably informs the way the state, successive government thinks about investment. We're in Munster by dint of history and a line drawn on a map but geographically as part of the southeast we're clearly more Leinster than Munster. Trouble is we're at the wrong end! So the big decisions are in favour of Cork with respect to Munster/South and with greater Dublin with respect to Leinster/South. Wexford/Waterford/Kilkenny to some shared extent are told to go swing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Do you just sue the same phrase over and over again? So every other health service can get by with far far far far less admins than we do.... yet we definitely can't cut any seems to be what you're saying? When did I say that the UK had too many admin staff, i think it funny that the NHS can and does manage with a fraction of admin staff than the hse does. This is a good indication of where our priorities lie https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/hse-hires-3-times-more-office-staff-than-nurses-468746.html

Can you stick with the topic that was discussed as per the cardiac care and address those issues before brining in another bag of worms. I'd like to see you address the other arguments by me or anyone else...

No worse then you repeating "HSE less efficient than NHS" without bothering to consider why?

Back Office tends to be relatively fixed. So Admin staff. Not all of it, but lots are like for example the HPRA which have zero relationship to the size of population - it's literally a fixed cost.

Front office tends to be variable based on demand. So "front end workers" go up and down based on demand.

Your fixed costs in the NHS are divided against 66 Million people in the UK vs nearly 5 million in Ireland. It's called economies of scale. If someone wants to propose merging the Irish System with the NHS (a bit like the RNLI) I'd be ok with discussing it. But cheap talk about the HSE having more admin just for the craic is damaging to be frank for everyone.

That also ignores for example the increasing use of non-nursing staff to let highly trained nursing staff focus on their job rather than administration.

It's cheap gutter journalism supported by a useless senator.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0629/1150234-cabinet-first-meeting-dublin-castle/
    Taoiseach Micheál Martin has said a new jobs stimulus programme is likely to be ready by mid July. The initiative will involve Government departments looking at "shovel ready" projects that could create employment.

This will be a great test of the new government and will it actually support Waterford as a regional city or just write about it in its PFG. Will it just re-announce the funding already committed to for the north quays project, new mortuary or new cath lab by the last government. Or will there actually be something new. If there is not a strong financial commitment to the north quays project in light of what is in the PFG about developing regional cities, specifically naming Waterford, and the fact the north quays is shovel ready and an economic stimulus just waiting to happen. Then it will just confirm what I and many others fear that the new government is just a Dublin and Cork government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

azimuth17 wrote: »
    My understanding is that pre tender discussions and pre-qualification are nearing completion or have been just completed, but that actual tender to construct second cath lab has not been issued. Presumably that will happen shortly after which there will be several months discussion/delay before tender is awarded.

We might all agree in an ideal world that the best ministerial candidate should be put in place but Irish politics mixed with local influences is still not there yet.

Pre tender discussions and pre-qualification have being completed with all parties. The full tender has also being submitted to the qualified candidates including full BQ and specifications and returned. 2 Contractors i've spoken to are keen and awaiting a decision within the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rebs23

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0629/1150234-cabinet-first-meeting-dublin-castle/

This will be a great test of the new government and will it actually support Waterford as a regional city or just write about it in its PFG. Will it just re-announce the funding already committed to for the north quays project, new mortuary or new cath lab by the last government. Or will there actually be something new. If there is not a strong financial commitment to the north quays project in light of what is in the PFG about developing regional cities, specifically naming Waterford, and the fact the north quays is shovel ready and an economic stimulus just waiting to happen. Then it will just confirm what I and many others fear that the new government is just a Dublin and Cork government.
    It's likely that any Government committment to funding the bridge and relocation of the station is purely down to a significant commitment from the developers to commence construction. The question will be asked why construction has not commenced, tenders issued, detailed design completed, etc, etc. They will not be interested in listening to waffle or grand statements. There will need to be some significant indication that the North Quays proposal is viable and the developers are committed to proceeding.
    Realistically is the retail scheme viable? Are the apartments viable? Are offices viable going forward? New retail and office developments internationally and nationally are currently not proceeding and I can't see how the North Quays is any different. Generally no apartment scheme proceeds until they are purchased by a REIT.
    Why would you invest in a bridge first if the development it purports to facilitate is not going ahead or is financially viable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

rebs23 wrote: »
    It's likely that any Government committment to funding the bridge and relocation of the station is purely down to a significant commitment from the developers to commence construction. The question will be asked why construction has not commenced, tenders issued, detailed design completed, etc, etc. They will not be interested in listening to waffle or grand statements. There will need to be some significant indication that the North Quays proposal is viable and the developers are committed to proceeding.
    Realistically is the retail scheme viable? Are the apartments viable? Are offices viable going forward? New retail and office developments internationally and nationally are currently not proceeding and I can't see how the North Quays is any different. Generally no apartment scheme proceeds until they are purchased by a REIT.
    Why would you invest in a bridge first if the development it purports to facilitate is not going ahead or is financially viable?

The train station is a dangerous disaster as is.the pedestrian bridge will reduce vehicles need to block up the south quays, it increases attractiveness of taking the train too, it also connects with the new train station location and 2 greenways. Questioning the validity of a pedestrian bridge pretty much anywhere but especially at the north quays location shows how little you know about the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Waterford barely tallies as Munster proper it would serve the south Leinster area mainly plus east Waterford.
    SNN, cork, Kerry aren’t especially viable and are always struggling. One more centrally located airport would have made sense but as usual in Munster everyone had to have their own

Interesting that you make the point about a centrally located Airport, do you think any consideration was given to the location of Waterford Airport in the context of it being a regional airport for the South East?

As an outsider looking in, I hear Waterford people declare it the capital of the South East but I don't see anything that demonstrates much consideration of the needs of the region when planning infrastructure apart from counting the population of the south east when demanding something for Waterford. I certainly don't get the impression that people in Wexford, Carlow, Kilkenny or South Tipp look at Waterford as their regional capital.

Taking the Airport as an example, it couldn't have been situated in a more inaccessible place in Waterford when it comes to access from the rest of the south east region. Access has been improved with the new Suir Bridge and ring road but in reality, the airport was dead before that opened. Had it been somewhere around Granny, it may have drawn in more passengers from the region but the local Waterford / Kilkenny politics could never have let that happen.

All that said, I like Waterford and have family there. As a city, its core is probably bigger than Galway without even taking into consideration the North Quays, it has huge potential to regenerate and grow where as there's little room in Galway for anything other than suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rebs23

Max Powers wrote: »
    The train station is a dangerous disaster as is.the pedestrian bridge will reduce vehicles need to block up the south quays, it increases attractiveness of taking the train too, it also connects with the new train station location and 2 greenways. Questioning the validity of a pedestrian bridge pretty much anywhere but especially at the north quays location shows how little you know about the site.
    I know the site very well and fair enough with those points but the reasoning and economic justification up to this point has been that it will facilitate a very significant private sector investment.
    If they can stand on their own merits so be it but if the North Quays does not go ahead it will have little to do with the bridge or the train station.

rebs23 wrote: »

This clearly shows you know nothing about the north quays project. The government funding committed so far is for infrastructural works like the pedestrian bridge etc. It is not dependent on any developer or commitment. It is to facilitate the development of the north quays, it is separate to any development. I have heard Michael Walsh say this a number of times. Also, the train station is long sense unfit for purpose and really not related to the north quays project, it needs to be done anyway. If the government is not going to fund infrastructural improvements to allow for private developments now or in the future if the current plan does not work out for some reason then what the hell is the point of national government and paying tax at all!

Construction has not commenced because they have not gotten the final planning permission yet, it is due in mid July. Detailed design was completed last year. Some tenders have been issued and work started if you care to look at the site. There has been significant work done on the viability of the project.

On the global economic terms it is not clear what will happen, it depends on how the pandemic pans out. With that said it is not the end of the world economy, things will recover. Also, I don’t buy this thing of there will be a greatly reduced need for office space as people have gotten a taste for home working. The vast majority of people would rather be out of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Interesting that you make the point about a centrally located Airport, do you think any consideration was given to the location of Waterford Airport in the context of it being a regional airport for the South East?

As an outsider looking in, I hear Waterford people declare it the capital of the South East but I don't see anything that demonstrates much consideration of the needs of the region when planning infrastructure apart from counting the population of the south east when demanding something for Waterford. I certainly don't get the impression that people in Wexford, Carlow, Kilkenny or South Tipp look at Waterford as their regional capital.

Taking the Airport as an example, it couldn't have been situated in a more inaccessible place in Waterford when it comes to access from the rest of the south east region. Access has been improved with the new Suir Bridge and ring road but in reality, the airport was dead before that opened. Had it been somewhere around Granny, it may have drawn in more passengers from the region but the local Waterford / Kilkenny politics could never have let that happen.

All that said, I like Waterford and have family there. As a city, its core is probably bigger than Galway without even taking into consideration the North Quays, it has huge potential to regenerate and grow where as there's little room in Galway for anything other than suburbs.

I've a similar view really. It makes me think of the arrangement of leagues in sport. Ask any team what the fairest, most logical league format is and they'll always give an answer that by sheer chance has the top league expanded down far enough to include them, but not include any teams below them.

Similarly a lot of people reckon centralising things in Dublin is wrong, and everything should be regionalised and subdivided into a more local level. Nothing objectively wrong with that, but it seems the drive for regionalising stops once it reaches their level, and they feel everything in a given region should be focused on one city.

I spend a lot of time in Wexford, and while obviously there's a connection from proximity to Waterford, I certainly don't get the same impression you see presented in this forum that Waterford is their regional capital and the focal point of their economy, education, transport etc. I've certainly never heard anyone say "Waterford should get X or Y as that would benefit us".

Now don't take that to mean I'm arguing against investment in Waterford or arguing that Waterford should or shouldn't get X Y or Z. My argument is simply that it's not right to use the entire populations of Wexford, Carlow, Kilkenny and South Tipperary as justification for building things in Waterford city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

micosoft wrote: »
    No worse then you repeating "HSE less efficient than NHS" without bothering to consider why?

Back Office tends to be relatively fixed. So Admin staff. Not all of it, but lots are like for example the HPRA which have zero relationship to the size of population - it's literally a fixed cost.

Front office tends to be variable based on demand. So "front end workers" go up and down based on demand.

Your fixed costs in the NHS are divided against 66 Million people in the UK vs nearly 5 million in Ireland. It's called economies of scale. If someone wants to propose merging the Irish System with the NHS (a bit like the RNLI) I'd be ok with discussing it. But cheap talk about the HSE having more admin just for the craic is damaging to be frank for everyone.

That also ignores for example the increasing use of non-nursing staff to let highly trained nursing staff focus on their job rather than administration.

It's cheap gutter journalism supported by a useless senator.

Only in ireland would we make sure we definitely have enough admin staff doing very little when we have a massive shortage of nurses, doctors, beds and facilities. Yes the staff costs are too high for Ireland and I understand basic leaving cert business. No I'm not having the craic, a genuine discussion needs to be had to whether we place higher emphasis on recruiting doctors and nurses or admin staff with the funding we give health. Also I've never heard of public staff numbers going down due to cuts.

Advertisement