Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hostile will the new government be for Waterford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Bards wrote: »
    We might be actually be better off under British rule as we were before the ROI came into being... We actually had a university in Waterford but FF closed it

We didn't actually have a university, but had a fully fledged third level facility in De La Salle college as a high;y respected teacher training college. Enda Kenny's dad trained as a teacher there. I believe that seven GAA presidents trained there as teachers. It was scheduled for closure 1936/1938 by FF Minister for Education Tom Derrig, Minister for Education (Carlow Kilkenny TD !!!!!) in De Valera government and finally closed in 1947 I think. It was offered to NUI as constituent college and was almost agreed until the relentless opposition of UCC president Alfie O'Rahilly... a former Jesuit, ended all hope. I believe it to be the only third level facility actually ever closed in this republic. A bitter pill from FF.

azimuth17 wrote: »
    We didn't actually have a university, but had a fully fledged third level facility in De La Salle college as a high;y respected teacher training college. Enda Kenny's dad trained as a teacher there. I believe that seven GAA presidents trained there as teachers. It was scheduled for closure 1936/1938 by FF Minister for Education Tom Derrig, Minister for Education (Carlow Kilkenny TD !!!!!) in De Valera government and finally closed in 1947 I think. It was offered to NUI as constituent college and was almost agreed until the relentless opposition of UCC president Alfie O'Rahilly... a former Jesuit, ended all hope. I believe it to be the only third level facility actually ever closed in this republic. A bitter pill from FF.

That is a v.interesting piece of trivia

Kudos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Thomas Ashe former leader of the IRB also studied there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    post brexit?:confused:

For anyone to say we would be better off under British rule at any time is mind boggling given what was done to our people nevermind anything to do with Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

We didn't actually have a university, but had a fully fledged third level facility in De La Salle college as a high;y respected teacher training college.
    St John's College was more impressive and had land down to Ballytruckle. Had great potential for a leafy university. Now it's a homeless shelter for non-nationals. Waterford's recent progress in a nutshell.

• Advertisement

vriesmays wrote: »
    St John's College was more impressive and had land down to Ballytruckle. Had great potential for a leafy university. Now it's a homeless shelter for non-nationals. Waterford's recent progress in a nutshell.

I normally would not answer your posts because they are often deliberately offensive. You either know nothing about Waterford or are deliberately circulating false information for your own mischievous gratification.

St John's College has been very sensitively converted into apartments for senior citizens by Respond. It is a wonderful facility which should serve as a model for the future use of many redundant religious buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

I normally would not answer your posts because they are often deliberately offensive. You either know nothing about Waterford or are deliberately circulating false information for your own mischievous gratification.

St John's College has been very sensitively converted into apartments for senior citizens by Respond. It is a wonderful facility which should serve as a model for the future use of many redundant religious buildings.

His total lack of self awareness means that he blames the city of Waterford for his wife and kids leaving him when the most obvious answer is that he is just a complete and total arsehole of the highest order.

Id almost feel sorry for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Deiseen wrote: »
    His total lack of self awareness means that he blames the city of Waterford for his wife and kids leaving him when the most obvious answer is that he is just a complete and total arsehole of the highest order.

Id almost feel sorry for him.

The quite fella or his new name vriesmays needs help.
    To blame a city for your wife leaving you.
    Looks like she must have left him for a non national. Either that or a non national is now the kids stepdad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

we need more schemes that provide funding to renovate old period buildings in the city and easier conversion from planning to residential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

The quite fella or his new name vriesmays needs help.
    To blame a city for your wife leaving you.
    Looks like she must have left him for a non national. Either that or a non national is now the kids stepdad.

That makes sense, or he's just a racist gombeen. He must really hate himself for being from Waterford.

• Advertisement

we need more schemes that provide funding to renovate old period buildings in the city and easier conversion from planning to residential.

Every old building in Waterford will soon be a hostel of homeless shelter. The town is turning into a laughing stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,389 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Every old building in Waterford will soon be a hostel of homeless shelter. The town is turning into a laughing stock.

when this occurs, i think we should start giving out free heroine, just for the craic

Deiseen wrote: »
    That makes sense, or he's just a racist gombeen. He must really hate himself for being from Waterford.

Everyones a racist :rolleyes:

A lot of period buildings in Waterford are being gradually lost or having key features lost. They give Waterford a lot of appeal and should be treasured more. If less money was squandered on free housing yeah they would be more money for making Waterford great

Everyones a racist :rolleyes:

A lot of period buildings in Waterford are being gradually lost or having key features lost. They give Waterford a lot of appeal and should be treasured more. If less money was squandered on free housing yeah they would be more money for making Waterford great

very few people obtain free housing, if you re heavily indebted, theres a good chance more of your income goes to the rentier class than the welfare class

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

How are you still here? You're just a racist using any old excuse to get a jibe in at immigrants or "non nationlals"

very few people obtain free housing, if you re heavily indebted, theres a good chance more of your income goes to the rentier class than the welfare class

Asylum seekers and many granted refugees do and those on housing lists get rentals that make Leitrim look pricey.

Asylum seekers and many granted refugees do and those on housing lists get rentals that make Leitrim look pricey.

There's clearly something wrong with the way we view housing and expect prices to remain high, yet many younger generations are stuck in low wage inflation and increasing precarious working environments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

There's clearly something wrong with the way we view housing and expect prices to remain high, yet many younger generations are stuck in low wage inflation and increasing precarious working environments

I fined myself agreeing with you for once. What bugs me is how this kills cities. People and governments are so concerned these days about the death of retail, which of course is a valid concern. But the cost of accommodation in cities is as big a problem as retail decline. Plus, too many houses and apartments are being bought as investments to rent out or put on AirBnB. Most of the time they are empty. There is a house around were I live that is clearly an investment property bought by somebody but it has been occupied only about twelve months in the time I have been living here and I am living here nearly eighteen years. Also, there is a row of houses in Baker St that are perfect for families to live in the city centre. Instead of buying in the suburbs buy one of these houses and renovate. What do the council do? But a bunch of bottle banks in front of them, half the time there is rubbish left around them. So anybody thinking of buying one is put off before they even walk in the door. So yes, there clearly is something wrong with the way housing is viewed particularly in cities.

BBM77 wrote: »
    I fined myself agreeing with you for once. What bugs me is how this kills cities. People and governments are so concerned these days about the death of retail, which of course is a valid concern. But the cost of accommodation in cities is as big a problem as retail decline. Plus, too many houses and apartments are being bought as investments to rent out or put on AirBnB. Most of the time they are empty. There is a house around were I live that is clearly an investment property bought by somebody but it has been occupied only about twelve months in the time I have been living here and I am living here nearly eighteen years. Also, there is a row of houses in Baker St that are perfect for families to live in the city centre. Instead of buying in the suburbs buy one of these houses and renovate. What do the council do? But a bunch of bottle banks in front of them, half the time there is rubbish left around them. So anybody thing of think of buying one is put off before they even walk in the door. So yes, there clearly is something wrong with the way housing is viewed particularly in cities.

this is actually becoming an extremely serious problem, and its gonna be up to the younger generations to sort out the mess, do you really want your off-spring to live in a world of increasing precariousness regarding their most essential and critical of needs, we really need to do some deep soul searching here, we re really running out of time here in order to try sort these issues

There are vested interests that want high prices but I am not convinced that they are incontrol. If you look at Waterford prices, we are only up about 20% higher in median price since 2010. Have you any evidence that there is increasing precarious working environments?
    BBM77 wrote: »
    I fined myself agreeing with you for once. What bugs me is how this kills cities. People and governments are so concerned these days about the death of retail, which of course is a valid concern. But the cost of accommodation in cities is as big a problem as retail decline. Plus, too many houses and apartments are being bought as investments to rent out or put on AirBnB. Most of the time they are empty. There is a house around were I live that is clearly an investment property bought by somebody but it has been occupied only about twelve months in the time I have been living here and I am living here nearly eighteen years. Also, there is a row of houses in Baker St that are perfect for families to live in the city centre. Instead of buying in the suburbs buy one of these houses and renovate. What do the council do? But a bunch of bottle banks in front of them, half the time there is rubbish left around them. So anybody thinking of buying one is put off before they even walk in the door. So yes, there clearly is something wrong with the way housing is viewed particularly in cities.
    No doubt that the council is sometimes the worst enemy of the city, but housing as always been seen as an investment. Without investors, there would be nothing to rent.

• Advertisement

There are vested interests that want high prices but I am not convinced that they are incontrol. If you look at Waterford prices, we are only up about 20% higher in median price since 2010. Have you any evidence that there is increasing precarious working environments?

No doubt that the council is sometimes the worst enemy of the city, but housing as always been seen as an investment. Without investors, there would be nothing to rent.

i think the problem is more to do with complex human behavior, than anything else. we have managed to largely convince ourselves of things such as, continually rising asset prices, particularly in relation to housing, is good for everyone, as the wealth created trickles down, but reality is showing a very different story. this has only truly worked for particular portions of society, and baring in mind, this is highly subjective. the obvious gainers have been the already wealthy, but many none wealthy have also gained from this thinking, particularly many older generations. please bare in mind, im not saying the older generations that have gained, or believed so, had an easy run of it, far from, i do realise most have probably had to make a lot of sacrifices and have worked damn hard for what they have, but some external factors were in their favor at critical times in their lives.

we have elevated particular industries in the modern economy, that have lead to very questionable activities and behaviors, we typically call this financialization, in which its activities potentially could be extremely dangerous for us all, including the wealthy. some of the biggest offenders operating in the modern economy would be the fire sectors(finance, insurance and real estate), and by default, from this thinking of things such as 'trickle down', these industries have become in effect 'the controllers'. baring in mind, id imagine most working in these industries truly believe they are doing the right thing for society and themselves of course, but simply may not be, they may in fact could be causing great harm to society as a whole.

theres loads of evidence of the increasing precariousness of working environments, both in the public and private sectors, its very noticeable in the private sector, compared to previous generations. many would say the 'job for life' is long gone, and it is, thats a clear indication, but there any many others, such as the increase in the number of service jobs etc

it is only some what true that housing has always been an investment, wind back the clock a bit, and you ll see a large proportion of housing was in fact publicly owned, rising private ownership is a relatively new concept, a few decades. of course there has always been investors in the sector, but id argue current policies are exposing both entities of the rental market, i.e. both tenants and landlords. i will agree, we do need investors in this market, but we also need a balance of both private and public housing, neither are currently truly occurring.

i think the problem is more to do with complex human behavior, than anything else. we have managed to largely convince ourselves of things such as, continually rising asset prices, particularly in relation to housing, is good for everyone,

I would argue that gradually slight increases housing is good for all. The problem is when it is too fast or reversed.
    sectors(finance, insurance and real estate), and by default, from this thinking of things such as 'trickle down', these industries have become in effect 'the controllers'. baring in mind, id imagine most working in these industries truly believe they are doing the right thing for society and themselves of course, but simply may not be, they may in fact could be causing great harm to society as a whole.
    No one believes in trickle down. Even Ronald Reagan and Milton Freiden did not believe in trickle down. Left wing myth.
    it is only some what true that housing has always been an investment, wind back the clock a bit, and you ll see a large proportion of housing was in fact publicly owned, rising private ownership is a relatively new concept, a few decades. of course there has always been investors in the sector, but id argue current policies are exposing both entities of the rental market, i.e. both tenants and landlords. i will agree, we do need investors in this market, but we also need a balance of both private and public housing, neither are currently truly occurring.

Homeownership is not a new thing. Home ownership has been in decline for about 50 years. House prices were correlated for a long time to consumer price index until about 1996. 1996 was also the year that we achieved net positive in migration numbers and migration as well as population increases, less casual work and income growth is why houses and rent have boomed.

I would argue that gradually slight increases housing is good for all. The problem is when it is too fast or reversed.

Yea I'd some agree with this
    No one believes in trickle down. Even Ronald Reagan and Milton Freiden did not believe in trickle down. Left wing myth.

That's funny on many levels cause Reagan largely implied it during most of his time in office, Reagan and thatcher were clearly also highly conservative. the confusing part occured after their tenure, as the traditional left, or the so called left (chomsky - moderate republicans) also got into the same game, effectively abandoning their base, and went full on trickle down(which in reality is largely trickle up), and we re still largely playing the same game

1996 was also the year that we achieved net positive in migration numbers and migration as well as population increases, less casual work and income growth is why houses and rent have boomed.

You ll actually find one of the main factors that has caused a rapid rise in housing has been the availability of credit from private sector financial institutions, hence why we recently experienced a 'credit crisis'. you ll actually find wage inflation has been relatively low in comparison to this rapid rise in the price of housing, and not really much to do with population increases

This thread is so puffed up with verbose self importance and has gone so far off topic that it is mind deadening. It needs to be called to order.

Wanderer 78 et al in economics 101, open a thread on local economics and post there.

This thread is so puffed up with verbose self importance and has gone so far off topic that it is mind deadening. It needs to be called to order.

Wanderer 78 et al in economics 101, open a thread on local economics and post there.

you a mod? strangely enough folks, our current situation is all economics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Phoenix column in this week's News and Star sums it all up perfectly

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/07/21/phoenix-no-surrender/#.Xxbxx7fhRkw

Private landlords are selling up while councils are buying up. In a few years there will be nothing to rent.

Private landlords are selling up while councils are buying up. In a few years there will be nothing to rent.

cant see that happening at all

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

So has there been any news on Government implementation of making Waterford a viable alternative to Dublin or giving providing basic healthcare such as 24/7 cardiac care or have we been shafted again? I think I saw some local FG politician asking for the technical institute being given priority and WIT be emrged with Carlow? Not sure how many votes that will get anyone down here if half the courses WIT offers now end up in Carlow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Going by some recent national stories I can fully understand the reasons for it!

It must be a nightmare being a landlord with a bad tenant!

Advertisement