Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How hostile will the new government be for Waterford?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,389 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It must be a nightmare being a landlord with a bad tenant!

A complete disaster I'd imagine, I've heard some places can be destroyed after them, costing a fortune to sort, government policies aren't helping the situation either, for both entities

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Going by some recent national stories I can fully understand the reasons for it!

Yes, but some deserve what they get to. They put anybody in a house as long as they get the money and leave the neighbours suffer the consequences of the scum they put in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,389 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

BBM77 wrote:
    Yes, but some deserve what they get to. They put anybody in a house as long as they get the money and leave the neighbours suffer the consequences of the scum they put in the house.

Yea I can see both sides of this argument, I have come to the conclusion, there's probably an equal amount of arsehole tenents as there is landlords

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Going by some recent national stories I can fully understand the reasons for it!

Like SF's Violet Anne Wynn.

A charity provided her with a home for the princely sum of €63 a week. Rent arrears commenced as soon as she moved in and she paid zero rent for the final four years of her tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

So has there been any news on Government implementation of making Waterford a viable alternative to Dublin or giving providing basic healthcare such as 24/7 cardiac care or have we been shafted again? I think I saw some local FG politician asking for the technical institute being given priority and WIT be emrged with Carlow? Not sure how many votes that will get anyone down here if half the courses WIT offers now end up in Carlow.

Why would half the courses end up in Carlow? I find the comment very strange.

Why would a TU for the South East have to be exclusively in Waterford? If merging the two IT's is what it takes to secure Technical University status, surely its a case of getting on with it. CIT and ITT are doing just that and will be formally a TU in the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

alias no.9 wrote: »

Why would a TU for the South East have to be exclusively in Waterford? If merging the two IT's is what it takes to secure Technical University status, surely its a case of getting on with it. CIT and ITT are doing just that and will be formally a TU in the new year.

Cork already has a full blown university and now a TU... WIT was the first RTC and at the time only RTC upgraded to an IT on the understanding that it was a stepping stone to full University... But CRTC threw their toys out of the pram and all RTCs became ITs and Waterford was back to square 1 to where we are now today

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

alias no.9 wrote: »

Why would a third level institute replicate a couple of hundred courses? Given the discussions taking place previously between the colleges Carlow were adamant they would be taking over the i.t, engineering and business course, they told WIT they would be welcome to running arts& humanities.

Where did I say it would be exclusively for Waterford. I just think having campuses too spread out over one city is a bad implementation. Having one split in to 2 in Waterford and Carlow is ridiculous. I'd be very surprised if Cit didn't swallow up Itt and leave a satellite in Kerry. With the lack of any political say in the country I could see Carlow getting the lions share of courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Lecturers will commute to Carlow, Waterford's too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

https://www.facebook.com/120792148007585/posts/3285717264848375/
    A cork TD out to sabotage the expansion of Waterford city and totally contradicts himself.pure parish pump politics to suit their own constituency

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JimWinters

Muttley79 wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/120792148007585/posts/3285717264848375/
    A cork TD out to sabotage the expansion of Waterford city and totally contradicts himself.pure parish pump politics to suit their own constituency

It’s amazing FG can rely on a flawed report to deny us 24/7 cardiac care and ignore another report like the boundary commission that doesn’t suit their agenda.

County Waterford’s population was 116,000 in 2016. The maximum population you can have per TD is 30k. If you added the population in the area under review (7,000 people) into Waterford’s population there would be 123,000 in County Waterford and we would then need a fifth seat for the constituency.

We’re surrounded by counties with 5 seat constituencies which always leads to us getting squeezed. I think the boundary review was rejected to ensure we did not get our fifth TD!!

• Advertisement

JimWinters wrote: »
    It’s amazing FG can rely on a flawed report to deny us 24/7 cardiac care and ignore another report like the boundary commission that doesn’t suit their agenda.

County Waterford’s population was 116,000 in 2016. The maximum population you can have per TD is 30k. If you added the population in the area under review (7,000 people) into Waterford’s population there would be 123,000 in County Waterford and we would then need a fifth seat for the constituency.

We’re surrounded by counties with 5 seat constituencies which always leads to us getting squeezed. I think the boundary review was rejected to ensure we did not get our fifth TD!!

Whats surprising is that both Waterford and Wexford each stand to gain another td there is a population increase. 2 more tds for the south east would be massive.

I think Alan Kelly was happy to ignore Waterford and fk us over when in government but is trying to make all sorts of promises etc. now when eh doesn't have to do anything. But of course FG were instrumental in not implementing the boundary reccomendations

The definition of gerrymandering: to "manipulate the boundaries of (an electoral constituency) so as to favour one party or class."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

You just can't believe anything a politician says... The phrase "judge me by my actions and not my words" should apply to all politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Presumably, Carlow/Kilkenny would have had to have been reduced to a 4-seater for Waterford to become a 5-seater in this scenario i.e, not due to population increase just a transfer i.e. not an extra seat for the SE but yes an extra seat for the Waterford constituency?

Presumably, Carlow/Kilkenny would have had to have been reduced to a 4-seater for Waterford to become a 5-seater in this scenario i.e, not due to population increase just a transfer i.e. not an extra seat for the SE but yes an extra seat for the Waterford constituency?

So article 16 of the Constitution specifies that there must be one TD for between 20,000 and 30,000 of the population. Carlow has a population of 56k and Kilkenny has a population of 99k, they should be a 6 seater constituency. If they lost the 7k from the boundary review they would remain at 5.

25 of the 40 constituencies are above the 30k limit and breach article 16 of the Constitution. County Limerick has the lowest population to TD ratio in the country, if their ratio was applied to Waterford we would already be a 5 seater.

Mr. Coveney was in charge of that Constituency Commission review too!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/census-2016-shows-the-number-of-tds-breaches-constitution-1.2722184

The number of TDs representing Waterford has not changed since 1977 when the population of the city and county was around 29k less at 87,278.

According to the 2016 Census 25 of the 40 constituencies were above the constitutional limit. This was a new issue due to the rapid population growth over the past 10-15 years.

A Constituency Commission was established as a response, and as noted they recommended that Waterford remain unchanged. They also noted in the report that very few submissions were received about Waterford.

Prior to the changes the average constituency had 30,114 people for every TD, and this went down to 29,762 after the changes.

The population per TD in Waterford was 29,044 - which is very favourable by national standards. Kerry (at 29,541) and Wexford (at 29,944) also remained unchanged.

Turning KK-Carlow into a 5 seater left them with 31,233 people per TD.

hardybuck wrote: »
    The population per TD in Waterford was 29,044 - which is very favourable by national standards. Kerry (at 29,541) and Wexford (at 29,944) also remained unchanged.

Agreed, Waterford’s 5 TDs is correct for the current population. If the boundary commission’s recommendations were followed we would have 7k more in the county and would have a case for the 5th seat as we would be over the 30k.

It’s strange that just two seats were added in the 2020 election when 25 constituencies breach the ratio set out in the constitution...

Agreed, Waterford’s 5 TDs is correct for the current population. If the boundary commission’s recommendations were followed we would have 7k more in the county and would have a case for the 5th seat as we would be over the 30k.

It’s strange that just two seats were added in the 2020 election when 25 constituencies breach the ratio set out in the constitution...

I think this was a case of improving the situation while causing as little financial and political pain as possible.

You could make a strong case for a total overhaul of many constituencies. However this annoys people in a way that isn't logical.

If you broke up the existing structure and put East Waterford, South Tipp, South Kilkenny and South Wexford into one constituency it might make sense for lots of reasons, but it would be guaranteed to drive people in each area ballistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Just curious when has whats correct ever come into how Waterford gets treated by government?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

Dublin 45 seats
    Cork 18 seats
    Galway 8 seats
    Limerick 7 seats
    Waterford 4 seats
    Waterford will always struggle to have a voice in the government buildings.even wexford,kilkenny-carlow have 5 seats

Muttley79 wrote: »
    Dublin 45 seats
    Cork 18 seats
    Galway 8 seats
    Limerick 7 seats
    Waterford 4 seats
    Waterford will always struggle to have a voice in the government buildings.even wexford,kilkenny-carlow have 5 seats

True but if you get 5 in Waterford and 6 in Wexford and suddenly it is worth buying votes here by providing basic healthcare and a decent standard of education...

• Advertisement

True but if you get 5 in Waterford and 6 in Wexford and suddenly it is worth buying votes here by providing basic healthcare and a decent standard of education...

That's not going to happen in the short term. When it does other areas will be ahead of Waterford in the queue as at the moment its probably in the top 25% it comes to population per TD.

hardybuck wrote: »
    That's not going to happen in the short term. When it does other areas will be ahead of Waterford in the queue as at the moment its probably in the top 25% it comes to population per TD.

Like it wouldn't shock me if went another few thousand by the next census. We are surely going to do better than the 5 years after 2011 where we had a 2% increase. Theres a lot more people hanging around.

Advertisement