Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar's Walrus - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

In 3rd place with 24 points is
    lassykk

Live - Lightning Crashes

I know this one very well, and have loved it since the very first time I heard it. It starts off really nice and calm and slowly builds to a nice loud finish. Was pleasantly surprised to see it show up - I had kind of forgotten about lightning when it came to songs that referenced the weather, so this wouldn't even have been on my radar for this round.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I didn't say they're universally hated songs, I just hate them
    Ah yeah, just with the build up I was expecting three really terrible songs and Nice Weather For Ducks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

I had a bit of a Live binge a couple of weeks ago, they've got a fairly strong back catalogue

In 25th place with 2 points is
    Zaph

The Ramones - Have You Ever Seen The Rain?

I like the Ramones, but I really struggle with this song, no matter who's singing it, it just makes me see red. They've done an alright job I suppose... at the end of the day though, you can polish a turd all you like but it's still a turd.

2nd and getting 25 points is
    Irish Aris

The The feat. Sinéad O'Connor - Kingdom of Rain

This song was up and down my rankings like a yo-yo from listen to listen; really really liked it on the first listen, then thought it was a bit bland on the second listen, but by the third listen I was back to loving it again, then it just grew on me more and more until it had cemented it's place in second. It's a really great duet and the vocals of Matt Johnson paired with Sinéad O'Connor just works remarkably well.

• Advertisement

Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen and The Ramones?
    What unbridled horror! :eek:

What could possibly have ranked below these? Can only be someone universally detested, like Mozart.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

24th and getting 3 points is
    JP Liz V1

Bruce Springsteen - Waitin' On A Sunny Day

If this song had a face, I’d punch it. That's it, that's the only note I've got for it. It's very punchable.

:eek: strong words poor Brucie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,072 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i picked that song as well. different artist though!

In 26th place with 1 point is
    y0ssar1an22

Creedance Clearwater Revival - Have You Ever Seen The Rain?

No. No. No. Make it stop. I thought I simply disliked Creedance Clearwater Revival, but turns out I absolutely f**king despise them. John Foggerty's voice goes through me. I know people love them, and think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, but they can f**k off as far as I'm concerned. Would be happy to never be subjected to the torture that is their sound ever again. I even hate when people refer to them affectionately as CCR or Creedance. Sorry yoss, but if it's any consolation, you've won the award of submitting the worst song of the entire Walrus and causing me a great amount of torture and discomfort by forcing myself to listen to it multiple times.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

In 25th place with 2 points is
    Zaph

The Ramones - Have You Ever Seen The Rain?

I like the Ramones, but I really struggle with this song, no matter who's singing it, it just makes me see red. They've done an alright job I suppose... at the end of the day though, you can polish a turd all you like but it's still a turd.

Another great song. Didn't know this version (its decent), but it's a good song. I'm not sure what is the original but CCR is the one I know best and I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

quickbeam wrote: »
    Nice one Rothko, don't mind him, it's a great entry.

It also doesn't bode well for one of my later submissions ....

It's ok, it doesn't bother me... I just have something in my eye... that's all :o

In 1st place and getting 26 points is
    mustang shelly

Enya - Echoes In Rain

Wouldn't be familiar with Enya's more recent stuff, and don't remember hearing this one before, but it's class. Absolute magic. There's an Australian comedian Steve Hughes who claims no one can possibly hate Enya because her songs are just the wind coloured in, and I've always thought that was an apt description. This was immediately added to a shed load of my playlists. Great choice.

In 26th place with 1 point is
    y0ssar1an22

Creedance Clearwater Revival - Have You Ever Seen The Rain?

No. No. No. Make it stop. I thought I simply disliked Creedance Clearwater Revival, but turns out I absolutely f**king despise them. John Foggerty's voice goes through me. I know people love them, and think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread, but they can f**k off as far as I'm concerned. Would be happy to never be subjected to the torture that is their sound ever again. I even hate when people refer to them affectionately as CCR or Creedance. Sorry yoss, but if it's any consolation, you've won the award of submitting the worst song of the entire Walrus and causing me a great amount of torture and discomfort by forcing myself to listen to it multiple times.

Ahhhh here!!!! :eek:

Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen and The Ramones?
    What unbridled horror! :eek:

To be fair to Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, and The Ramones I have no problem with the acts, just hate those particular songs.

Opinions are never wrong. But those bottom 4 from LeVar are very, very ... not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Creedence are an amazing band

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I'll take it!!! Not bottom 4 which was hate territory! I love blood and thunder though, only starting to get into heavy stuff and this was one of the first :D

Leaderboard after the 3rd (and most controversial) round sees mustang shelly take over the lead, but not by much, with four rounds to go.

name R1 R2 R3 R4 R5 R6 R7 Total
    mustang shelly 23 23 26 72
    Clarabel 26 24 19 69
    Necro 25 21 17 63
    Irish Aris 18 19 25 62
    tusk 10 20 22 52
    fixXxer 21 9 20 50
    Gru 16 16 18 50
    beakerjoe 12 25 13 50
    quickbeam 19 4 21 44
    Sawduck 14 6 23 43
    ShaneU 8 18 16 42
    Trigger 24 13 5 42
    phatkev 15 11 14 40
    osh 11 17 10 38
    lassykk 3 10 24 37
    Homer J. Fong 22 5 9 36
    Electric Nitwit 1 26 7 34
    cj maxx 17 8 6 31
    JP Liz V1 6 22 3 31
    Kolido 13 2 15 30
    the purple tin 7 15 8 30
    RasTa 2 12 11 25
    Rothko 20 1 4 25
    Reberetta 9 3 12 24
    Zaph 5 14 2 21
    y0ssar1an22 4 7 1 12

Have You Ever Seen The Rain is a great tune. Don't know much about any of the rest of their catalog but HYESTR by CCR is a veritable classic :)

We're off to the Zoo tomorrow for the Animal Instinct reveal.

YouTube Playlist for Looks Like Rain, Ted!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5L3Ao3oIFzo2olSrfc6h8iUmpNSE0Zhi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Ha, I'm happy you liked lightning crashes but you almost had a third version of have you ever seen the rain as I absolutely love this version!

That would surely have been a first for a WALRUS if one song was nominated three times by three different bands!

quickbeam wrote: »
    Opinions are never wrong. But those bottom 4 from LeVar are very, very ... not right.

You're not right...
    giphy.gif

While we're all recovering from the shock of that bottom 4, I'll just throw in another shnakey plug for my SURLAW:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058089265

20 songs, you vote for your top ten. It's kinda like Eurovision, but without bloc-voting! :p

Have you ever seen Lorraine?

lassykk wrote: »
    Ha, I'm happy you liked lightning crashes but you almost had a third version of have you ever seen the rain as I absolutely love this version!

That would surely have been a first for a WALRUS if one song was nominated three times by three different bands!

Well, I didn't want to listen to the two versions I had to rate, so I'm not going to subject myself to yet another version. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

delighted that you liked The The.
    It's one of these bands that people could find. . . "uneventful"(for lack of a better word) - I used to too, but when I started really getting into their catalogue I just loved them - and it was an absolute pleasure to see them live at Iveagh Gardens 2 years ago.
    So I talk about them to anyone who will listen!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

In 1st place and getting 26 points is
    mustang shelly

:eek: absolutely shocked to come first!!! I know a lot of people hate her but I love her, such a beautiful voice. I thought that this was my riskiest entry.

Glad you enjoyed it LeVar!

There wasn't any other songs in the remaining rounds that I disliked, so at least all that unpleasantness is out of the way now, but apologies again to those whose songs I was disdainful towards.

giphy.gif

Well done Shelly! The atrocities of the bottom 4 took the spotlight off your achievement a bit. Good going!

• Advertisement

:eek: absolutely shocked to come first!!! I know a lot of people hate her but I love her, such a beautiful voice. I thought that this was my riskiest entry.

Glad you enjoyed it LeVar!

Sometimes the risks pay off... Not risky in my eyes anyway, like I said Enya is like the wind coloured in, it's hard to dislike that. ;)

Advertisement