Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar's Walrus - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

4th and getting 23 points is
    Deleted User

I Break Horses - Denial

I'd heard the name I Break Horses before, but wasn't familiar with them at all. If the rest of their stuff is anything close to this good, they could easily become one of my new favourite bands. Really loved this one.

Taking the obligatory few minutes break before revealing the Top and Bottom 3 now...

On the edge of their seats wondering if they're high or low here are (in alphabetical order)... Irish Aris, osh, phatkev, Reberetta, Rothko, and Zaph

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Wait whos the real fourth place??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

fixXxer wrote: »

Not you :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If it's recorded after 1990 can it even be considered music?

• Advertisement

You're in 23rd. Sorry for getting your hopes up. Blame someone for distracting me (no one did distract me, but if it helps like do it)

Phew! :o Was slightly worried I'd be in the relegation spots this time; love the song but it's one that might potentially fall into the category of "background music" for some listeners - thankfully you're not one of them!

The other track by them I was considering going with is Faith, which is a bit beatier and darker-sounding, not too dissimilar to Crystal Castles actually (but more melodic). "Denial was the first song I heard by them though and so is the one I'm that bit more attached to.

RasTa wrote: »

giphy.gif

RasTa wrote: »

One day we'll get a real musical appreciation walrus instead of this lowest common denominator stuff.

tumblr_mexllzCwB81rzh4s2o3_250.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

One day we'll get a real musical appreciation walrus instead of this lowest common denominator stuff.

tumblr_mexllzCwB81rzh4s2o3_250.gif

If only the detractors would put their money where their mouths are.

tenor.gif?itemid=14229288

• Advertisement

In 24th place with 3 points is
    osh

Tortoise - TNT

I really liked the Tortoise song you submitted for phatkev's Walrus, and while I still enjoyed this one, it just didn't have as big an impact. It was a tough round overall though.

Necro wrote: »
    Not you :pac:

tenor.gif

3rd and getting 24 points is
    Zaph

The Monkees - Steppin' Stone

I love The Monkees and this is by far my favourite song of theirs, which I think you may have known, we've discussed the band a few times anyway. Micky Dolenz doing the lead vocals are generally my favourite Monkees tunes, so nothing but love for this. Nine times out of ten it would probably easily win a Walrus category for me, but just got pipped out of the top spot by a couple of impressive songs I was previously unfamiliar with.

25th and getting 2 points is
    Rothko

Dinosaur Jr - Freak Scene

Got slightly lost in the pack. Found it a bit forgettable overall. It is good, but I just found myself indifferent to it compared to everything above it.

2nd with 25 points is
    phatkev

Snarky Puppy - Shofukan (Live Recording)

Loved this straight from the very first note. Lots of instruments played to perfection always makes for a great experience. Would've loved to have been in the room for this. Hope this makes up for me not showing the Hypnotic Brass Enesemble much love in the #BlackCultureMatters round.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

3rd and getting 24 points is
    Zaph

The Monkees - Steppin' Stone

I love The Monkees and this is by far my favourite song of theirs, which I think you may have known, we've discussed the band a few times anyway. Micky Dolenz doing the lead vocals are generally my favourite Monkees tunes, so nothing but love for this. Nine times out of ten it would probably easily win a Walrus category for me, but just got pipped out of the top spot by a couple of impressive songs I was previously unfamiliar with.

I knew you were a Monkees fan, so I reckoned it had a decent chance. Didn't know it was your favourite song though, very nearly went with Randy Scouse Git instead.

In 26th place with 1 point is
    Reberetta

The Quails - Over The Hump

Another one that I just found a bit forgetable in between listens. Not a bad song, there wasn't really anything that I actively disliked in this round, just was feeling this one a bit less than all the rest.

Which means 1st place and getting 26 points is
    Irish Aris

Scorpions - Rhythm of Love

The only Scorpions songs I was previously familiar with were Rock You Like a Hurricane and Wind of Change, so this one was new to me, but absolutely loved it from the first listen. Once I heard it there was never a question it would be getting anything but the top spot. Just an epic '80s song. I'd even go as far to say it might be my favourite '80s song ever which is quite the achievement.

mustang shelly maintains the overall lead following Round 4, but only by a single point as Irish Aris moves in to second place.

name R1 R2 R3 R4 R5 R6 R7 Total
    mustang shelly 23 23 26 17 89
    Irish Aris 18 19 25 26 88
    Clarabel 26 24 19 15 84
    Necro 25 21 17 13 76
    Gru 16 16 18 21 71
    tusk 10 20 22 18 70
    phatkev 15 11 14 25 65
    ShaneU 8 18 16 22 64
    Homer J. Fong 22 5 9 23 59
    Sawduck 14 6 23 16 59
    lassykk 3 10 24 20 57
    Trigger 24 13 5 14 56
    beakerjoe 12 25 13 6 56
    fixXxer 21 9 20 4 54
    quickbeam 19 4 21 8 52
    Kolido 13 2 15 19 49
    Zaph 5 14 2 24 45
    the purple tin 7 15 8 12 42
    cj maxx 17 8 6 11 42
    Electric Nitwit 1 26 7 7 41
    osh 11 17 10 3 41
    JP Liz V1 6 22 3 9 40
    RasTa 2 12 11 10 35
    Rothko 20 1 4 2 27
    Reberetta 9 3 12 1 25
    y0ssar1an22 4 7 1 5 17

Hopefully will get to the All Things Heaven and Hell reveal tomorrow evening. Have a few things on throughout the day tomorrow so will have to play it by ear.

YouTube Playlist for Animal Instinct
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5L3Ao3oIFzotAH33Y2RaUEmzaFqGdvax

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I'm not even sure what to say when you prefer Boyzone to Cat Stevens :eek:

Zaph wrote: »
    I knew you were a Monkees fan, so I reckoned it had a decent chance. Didn't know it was your favourite song though, very nearly went with Randy Scouse Git instead.

Would've done equally as well I think - another of my favourite Monkees tracks. :D

quickbeam wrote: »

As Ronan Keating himself would say, "you say it best, when you say nothing at all!" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Scorpions is another band that I don't know how popular they are in Ireland. In Greece they are one of the most popular bands - especially for people that grew up in the 80's - their output that period was top notch.

LeVar, another song of theirs you could consider is Holiday. The easiest way to describe it is a power ballad: it starts as a classic ballad, but around the 3 minute mark changes tempo completely, before setting back to the slow tempo with a great guitar solo! A bit long (6 and a half minutes), but a great song nevertheless.

It's a good song, but I don't feel the big emotional impact I'm probably supposed to feel when listening to the lyrics.

Also, this is interesting. I'd have a similar relationship to you, but I really like the song. It got me thinking - how much do you have to resonate with the meaning of a song to like it?

For me, not much at all. There's loads of emotions that are meant to be conveyed by a song, but I can still like a song even if I have never experienced those emotions.

My guess would be that I'd be an exception here. I probably just listen to music wrongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,889 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

how did we all miss the eagles?!

on reflection, not the best choice. i was sucked in by it being fathers day. prob prefer wild world, and cats in the cradle.

how did we all miss the eagles?!

on reflection, not the best choice. i was sucked in by it being fathers day. prob prefer wild world, and cats in the cradle.

tusk didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Eagle eye cherry was my second choice so glad I went with photograph as it landed a bit higher. After my disastrous first round I ain't winning this but shouldn't finish bottom either!

• Advertisement

Also, this is interesting. I'd have a similar relationship to you, but I really like the song. It got me thinking - how much do you have to resonate with the meaning of a song to like it?

For me, not much at all. There's loads of emotions that are meant to be conveyed by a song, but I can still like a song even if I have never experienced those emotions.

My guess would be that I'd be an exception here. I probably just listen to music wrongly.

I guess it's because its such a lyrically heavy song and there's not a huge amount going on otherwise, because usually I'd be the same as yourself, I don't need to connect with the lyrics.

Like I said, I do like it, but have to find reasons to separate these songs in order to rank them, so took the lyrics into account more than I would if it just came on the radio.

Advertisement