Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar's Walrus - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Brief pause now before I get to the Top and Bottom 3.

Still awaiting their fate are (alphabetically as usual)... Clarabel, fixXxer, Irish Aris, RasTa, the purple tin, and Zaph

Every fcuking day... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Zaph wrote: »
    Every fcuking day... :(

I know, I only noticed that now... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I've never understood the absolute adoration The Cure get here on boards. I think they've got a couple of decent songs, and don't dislike them, but I simply don't have them on the same pedestal that others seems to

Did you see their Glastonbury set last year?
    I didn't think I knew a lot of theirs and wouldn't call myself a fan but it was majestic. And no theatrics, unusually for headliners. Just cracking tune after cracking tune, played brilliantly. I was converted

23rd and getting 3 points is
    RasTa

Mississippi John Hurt - You Got To Walk That Lonesome Valley

Decent little number, liked the guitar playing and enjoyed his voice, just felt it was missing that something special to rank it above most of the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's no Enya alright :)

• Advertisement

22nd and getting 4 points is
    Rothko

The Cure - Just Like Heaven

I've never understood the absolute adoration The Cure get here on boards. I think they've got a couple of decent songs, and don't dislike them, but I simply don't have them on the same pedestal that others seems to. From what I remember from the PM's, you weren't the only one who considered this song for this round. I do like Just Like Heaven, but not enough to have it any higher than this on this particular occasion.

*raises hand*
    That was my "safe" entry. Not so safe after all, it would seem! :P
    I really love that song though, was one of my "Best Song of the 80's" nominations.

I do sort of see what you mean by The Cure being on a pedestal though, they definitely had some amazing hits but still I've never felt the inclination to go check out all their back catalogue. Kind of a "Greatest Hits" act for me, in much the same way Marilyn Manson is actually! On which note...
    Delighted to see Manson, even if I guessed the wrong song!

I don't know all of Marilyn Mansons' stuff at all, the one you linked earlier is a song I've never heard. I mostly just know his "big" hits but I remember The Pale Emperor album getting good reviews when it came out, so I listened to it one night and found myself liking it quite a lot, and The Devil Beneath My Feet was the track that jumped out at me most in it.

In 3rd place with 24 points is
    Zaph

Talking Heads - Heaven

Such a beautiful chorus. Loved the simplicity of this one. I had heard the studio recording of the song a couple of times before and didn't do much for me, but this was my first time hearing the stripped back live version and it's just infinitely better. Really great choice for this category.

24th and getting 2 points is
    fixXxer

Slayer - Disciple

The lyrics were great, and liked it for the most part, but just didn't care much for the vocals, which aren't the most important part of a track like this obviously, just would've ranked it a good bit higher had I also enjoyed the vocals.

I don't know all of Marilyn Mansons' stuff at all, the one you linked earlier is a song I've never heard. I mostly just know his "big" hits...
    Ha ha, whereas I thought Long Hard Road Out of Hell was obvious (definitely on the best of, that's what I listen to most as well) and that you'd picked a more niche one :p

In 2nd place with 25 points is
    Clarabel

KEiiNO - Spirit In The Sky

This is Euro-Pop at its absolute best. Really loved it, especially when the Pitbull looking motherf**ker does the reverse yodelling of whatever that thing he's doing is called. I missed Eurovision last year, so this song was new to me. Can't believe a gem like this didn't win Eurovision '19... or this round for that matter...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Zaph

Talking Heads - Heaven

Such a beautiful chorus. Loved the simplicity of this one. I had heard the studio recording of the song a couple of times before and didn't do much for me, but this was my first time hearing the stripped back live version and it's just infinitely better. Really great choice for this category.

listening to psyco killer here. great choice zaph.

In 25th and getting 1 point here is
    the purple tin

David Rawlings - Yup

Nice song, enjoyed it, but just a bit too repetitive to make any real impact in this round. There wasn't anything I disliked in this round, and unfortunately the fight for bottom place just became about what song made or didn't make the strongest impression, and this happened to be it. Sorry.

Taking the top spot in 1st place and getting the max 26 points is
    Irish Aris

INXS - Devil Inside

Had this so far down the list originally its kind of ridiculous that it is now in the top spot. Its one of those one that just continued to grow on me until suddenly it had whizzed past favourites that I expected to be sitting pretty in the top positions and near the podium - never expected on the first listen that'd it be over-taking AC/DC or Belinda Carlisle, let alone in first place. Back to Back wins for Irish Aris - Irish Aris does it Aris you might say...

Zaph

Talking Heads - Heaven

Glad I changed my entry for this round. :D I don't think my original entry would have done anywhere near as good, and I was kicking myself after I entered it that I somehow managed to forget this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

21st and getting 5 points is
    phatkev

Tool - 10,000 Days (Wings Part 2)

I really liked this one, but it's length worked against it slightly. I just found 11 minutes of it to be a bit too much, and it fell back a couple of spots as a result. Unlike the Smashing Pumpkins song where I would've liked a bit more, I would've preferred had this been scaled back just a bit in terms of length.

Two songs immediately came to mind for this round, 10,000 days and the other was by Keenans other band A Perfect Circle. Same subject matter, just much shorter and much angrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Can't believe no-one picked this classic

Taking the top spot in 1st place and getting the max 26 points is
    Irish Aris

INXS - Devil Inside

Had this so far down the list originally its kind of ridiculous that it is now in the top spot. Its one of those one that just continued to grow on me until suddenly it had whizzed past favourites that I expected to be sitting pretty in the top positions and near the podium - never expected on the first listen that'd it be over-taking AC/DC or Belinda Carlisle, let alone in first place. Back to Back wins for Irish Aris - Irish Aris does it Aris you might say...

Great song, I really must see if I still have my copy of Kick anywhere, it's a superb album.

Irish Aris takes over the lead following some very strong performances in the last few rounds, but there's not much in it with two rounds still to go...

And at the other end yoss just about pulls out of last place as things look equally close for the Wooden Spoon - apologies to those at the bottom, we just haven't really been sympatico in this Walrus thus far.

name R1 R2 R3 R4 R5 R6 R7 Total
    Irish Aris 18 19 25 26 26 114
    Clarabel 26 24 19 15 25 109
    mustang shelly 23 23 26 17 18 107
    Necro 25 21 17 13 23 99
    Gru 16 16 18 21 19 90
    tusk 10 20 22 18 15 85
    Sawduck 14 6 23 16 17 76
    ShaneU 8 18 16 22 8 72
    Kolido 13 2 15 19 22 71
    phatkev 15 11 14 25 5 70
    Zaph 5 14 2 24 24 69
    beakerjoe 12 25 13 6 13 69
    Homer J. Fong 22 5 9 23 10 69
    Trigger 24 13 5 14 11 67
    lassykk 3 10 24 20 9 66
    quickbeam 19 4 21 8 12 64
    JP Liz V1 6 22 3 9 22 62
    cj maxx 17 8 6 11 20 62
    fixXxer 21 9 20 4 2 56
    Electric Nitwit 1 26 7 7 14 55
    osh 11 17 10 3 7 48
    the purple tin 7 15 8 12 1 43
    RasTa 2 12 11 10 3 38
    y0ssar1an22 4 7 1 5 16 33
    Reberetta 9 3 12 1 6 31
    Rothko 20 1 4 2 4 31

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

ShaneU wrote: »
    Can't believe no-one picked this classic

Speaking of Annie, I was considering 'love song for a vampire' but didnt think it fitted the category.

This was one of my favourite rounds and therefore the toughest to score, but then Year Of The Rabbit came along which was even tougher again and loved seeing not only what songs people went for, but also what year they opted for - hopefully will get to that reveal tomorrow evening...

YouTube playlist for All Things Heaven & Hell:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5L3Ao3oIFzof1AaFaNzb4lgJBwtUhAzn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Well done Aris and great reveal LeVar.

So no one picked Meatloaf? :confused:

tenor.gif?itemid=17464397

• Registered Users Posts: 16,890 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i went to see counting crows on long island new york about ~10-15 years ago. does anyone remember who they were playing with (i cant :o).

an american rock n roll band, pretty famous (i think only in the US). have since broken up?

its just there, but i cant remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Zaph wrote: »
    Great song, I really must see if I still have my copy of Kick anywhere, it's a superb album.

Yes, a classic album, one of my all time favourites!!!

Glad that you liked that song, LeVar. Between so many great songs in that album, The Devil Inside is usually overlooked.
    And based on how many great songs were on this list, very happy with the top spot. . . arís!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

*raises hand*
    That was my "safe" entry. Not so safe after all, it would seem! :P
    I really love that song though, was one of my "Best Song of the 80's" nominations.

I do sort of see what you mean by The Cure being on a pedestal though, they definitely had some amazing hits but still I've never felt the inclination to go check out all their back catalogue. Kind of a "Greatest Hits" act for me, in much the same way Marilyn Manson is actually! On which note...

I'd recommend checking out Disintegration

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Rothko wrote: »
    I'd recommend checking out Disintegration

+1 for Disintegration. I was 17 when it was released and I was starting getting serious about music, and it blew my mind. A dark, haunting, wonderful album!!

In case anyone missed the announcement earlier... I don't actually expect anyone to actually succeed here, but just making sure everyone has a chance to see it... :D
    Bonus Point Challenge

So if anyone missed it earlier, I've thrown down the gauntlet. Anyone who can come up with one song that fits the criteria (to my satisfaction) for all 7 categories by 1pm on Saturday will receive a bonus point

So the song must have a number in it's title, it must be by a black artist, it must be about the weather or make reference to the weather in its title, it must be from an artist with an animal in their name, it must be about Heaven/Hell/etc, it must have been released in the Year of the Rabbit, and is if that weren't complicated enough, it also must have been a TV Theme Song, if such a song even exists...

Answers on a Postcard please!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

In 14th place with 12 points is
    quickbeam

As you can guess by my reaction to Like A Hurricane, I'm not the biggest Neil Young fan, and was not expecting to enjoy this one either, but its really good. Maybe Neil Young is more bearable than I initially thought, or perhaps this is merely the exception to the rule. Either way, enjoyed it a lot.

He's one of my favourite singers. But I'm not sure I even know where to go with recommending more like this, since Like a Hurricane would be in a similar vein (both songs done with his some-time backing band Crazy Horse) and you didn't like that one, so it's hard to gauge.

FWIW, if I had to choose I'd rather Like A Hurricane over my own pick.

quickbeam wrote: »
    He's one of my favourite singers. But I'm not sure I even know where to go with recommending more like this, since Like a Hurricane would be in a similar vein (both songs done with his some-time backing band Crazy Horse) and you didn't like that one, so it's hard to gauge.

FWIW, if I had to choose I'd rather Like A Hurricane over my own pick.
    The problem with Neil Young is he's so variable, in style and quality. I'd recommend his Unplugged album as a starter though, I think it's brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

i went to see counting crows on long island new york about ~10-15 years ago. does anyone remember who they were playing with (i cant :o).

an american rock n roll band, pretty famous (i think only in the US). have since broken up?

its just there, but i cant remember!

I remember they toured with these guys around that time period, would've been around 07 or 08

Advertisement