Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar's Walrus - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

The problem with Neil Young is he's so variable, in style and quality. I'd recommend his Unplugged album as a starter though, I think it's brilliant

That's what I meant. He's so variable and yet two songs that were pretty similar (IMO), LeVar liked one and didn't like the other so it's hard to judge what he'd like.

Unplugged is good, for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

quickbeam wrote: »
    That's what I meant. He's so variable and yet two songs that were pretty similar (IMO), LeVar liked one and didn't like the other so it's hard to judge what he'd like.

Unplugged is good, for sure.

I really wouldn't consider Like A Hurricane and Sleeps With Angels to be all that similar at all, but that could just be me. Maybe I have sound-blindness the way other people have colour-blindness, and I just don't hear things the same way as other people do even though I can hear things I like and don't like in song, and that's why my taste is all over the place... You're all hearing Green, but I'm hearing Purple... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

In 25th and getting 1 point here is the purple tin
    You're all hearing Green, but I'm hearing Purple... :D

Harsh :p

It's like
    salt in the wound
    :pac:

Harsh :p

It's like
    salt in the wound
    :pac:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

In case anyone missed the announcement earlier... I don't actually expect anyone to actually succeed here, but just making sure everyone has a chance to see it... :D

that is evil, i thought i had a song only to find out it was 1 year off......thanks year of the fecking rabbit!

• Advertisement

Gru wrote: »
    that is evil, i thought i had a song only to find out it was 1 year off......thanks year of the fecking rabbit!

Let's hear it anyway, because 6 out of 7 is impressive

Maybe I have sound-blindness the way other people have colour-blindness, and I just don't hear things the same way as other people do even though I can hear things I like and don't like in song, and that's why my taste is all over the place... You're all hearing Green, but I'm hearing Purple... :D

Actually, I'm pretty sure that I am literally tone deaf, so it could be me either.

I tried learning to play the guitar once. I literally couldn't even tell the chords apart, beyond that I could phsycially see they had different finger positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Irish Aris takes over the lead following some very strong performances in the last few rounds, but there's not much in it with two rounds still to go...

And at the other end yoss just about pulls out of last place as things look equally close for the Wooden Spoon - apologies to those at the bottom, we just haven't really been sympatico in this Walrus thus far.

name R1 R2 R3 R4 R5 R6 R7 Total
    Irish Aris 18 19 25 26 26 114
    Clarabel 26 24 19 15 25 109
    mustang shelly 23 23 26 17 18 107
    Necro 25 21 17 13 23 99
    Gru 16 16 18 21 19 90
    tusk 10 20 22 18 15 85
    Sawduck 14 6 23 16 17 76
    ShaneU 8 18 16 22 8 72
    Kolido 13 2 15 19 22 71
    phatkev 15 11 14 25 5 70
    Zaph 5 14 2 24 24 69
    beakerjoe 12 25 13 6 13 69
    Homer J. Fong 22 5 9 23 10 69
    Trigger 24 13 5 14 11 67
    lassykk 3 10 24 20 9 66
    quickbeam 19 4 21 8 12 64
    JP Liz V1 6 22 3 9 22 62
    cj maxx 17 8 6 11 20 62
    fixXxer 21 9 20 4 2 56
    Electric Nitwit 1 26 7 7 14 55
    osh 11 17 10 3 7 48
    the purple tin 7 15 8 12 1 43
    RasTa 2 12 11 10 3 38
    y0ssar1an22 4 7 1 5 16 33
    Reberetta 9 3 12 1 6 31
    Rothko 20 1 4 2 4 31

Im 69ing with Zaph and Homer...... tee hee

for the challenge,

i'd argue it has six of the 7! Just need to find the tv show that had it as its theme song...

Number In The Title: Check
    Black Artist: Check
    Animal Name: Check
    Heaven & Hell: Check
    Year of the Rabbit: Check
    Weather Related: "the wind is Howlin' and the rain is pounding down" :pac:

does it being uncredited in a soundtrack count?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0504908/soundtrack

for the challenge,

i'd argue it has six of the 7! Just need to find the tv show that had it as its theme song...

Number In The Title: Check
    Black Artist: Check
    Animal Name: Check
    Heaven & Hell: Check
    Year of the Rabbit: Check
    Weather Related: "the wind is Howlin' and the rain is pounding down" :pac:

If only he sang it in the song, then maybe I'd accept that. There's a whole point on the line here though, so I'm not going to be in any way flexible... :D

5 out of 7 is still pretty impressive though.

• Advertisement

If only he sang it in the song, then maybe I'd accept that. There's a whole point on the line here though, so I'm not going to be in any way flexible... :D

5 out of 7 is still pretty impressive though.

hey sunshine brings people JOY! Hundreds of pounds of heavenly weather based Joy!

hey sunshine brings people JOY! Hundreds of pounds of heavenly weather based Joy!

You can argue it until you're blue in the face (blue like the sky where the sun shines and the rain falls down), but it's still a no from me on the weather front. :pac:

Additionally, I can't stand sunshine, being a creature of the night myself...

giphy.gif

does it being uncredited in a soundtrack count?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0504908/soundtrack

Certainly not. What do you think I am some sort of nice individual who wants to help you people get extra points like they were going out of fashion or something? Pfft.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 86,245 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Bonus Point Challenge

So if anyone missed it earlier, I've thrown down the gauntlet. Anyone who can come up with one song that fits the criteria (to my satisfaction) for all 7 categories by 1pm on Saturday will receive a bonus point

So the song must have a number in it's title, it must be by a black artist, it must be about the weather or make reference to the weather in its title, it must be from an artist with an animal in their name, it must be about Heaven/Hell/etc, it must have been released in the Year of the Rabbit, and is if that weren't complicated enough, it also must have been a TV Theme Song, if such a song even exists...

Answers on a Postcard please!

fair play if anyone meets that challenge

Year Of The Rabbit reveal happening this evening at about 7pm

No one picked any of these pre-selected songs, so no bonus points for this round either...

Depeche Mode - Strangelove [1987]

Feeder - Insomnia [1999]

Our Lady Peace - One Man Army [1999]

Childish Gambino - Heartbeat [2011]

Nickelback - When We Stand Together [2011]

Ah, this was my submission at one point but I kept looking and changed my mind, so close! :p

Love Feeder, think I've seen them more than any other band. I used to know their tour manager so I hung out backstage with them once, before they played their free Olympics gig. And by "hung out" I mean nervously said hi as they walked past :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Strangelove, what a fantastic song!!!!

Ah, this was my submission at one point but I kept looking and changed my mind, so close! :p

Love Feeder, think I've seen them more than any other band. I used to know their tour manager so I hung out backstage with them backstage once, before they played their free Olympics gig. And by "hung out" I mean nervously said hi as they walked past :pac:

Would only really know their singles and greatest hits, but they've got some cracking tunes.

Would only really know their singles and greatest hits, but they've got some cracking tunes.
    They really have, they deserve to have been so much more successful than they were. I'd have them up alongside Foo Fighters

• Registered Users Posts: 30,430 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I really like that Nickelback song.

• Advertisement

I really like that Nickelback song.

As much as people love to hate them (usually people who've never even listened to more than one or two of their songs), they have some really good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,430 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

As much as people love to hate them (usually people who've never even listened to more than one or two of their songs), they have some really good stuff.

They sure do.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Oh dear God I've just remembered what I put ;(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Only one before 1990, the rest are incompatible and cannot be considered music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

don't know what to expect for this round. I decided to take a gamble with an album track/non single from a famous album. I think it is a brilliant song but the choices so far have set a very high standard. In any case, it's one of the categories that I would be very interested for the reveal, especially if people select 1987 songs which is a key year for my music taste.

RasTa wrote: »
    Only one before 1990, the rest are incompatible and cannot be considered music.

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Someone better have picked a song from 1927 or even 2023 would be interesting....

I really like my submission to this one. Which means it'll probably come last.

quickbeam wrote: »
    I really like my submission to this one. Which means it'll probably come last.
    Ditto :p

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    Someone better have picked a song from 1927 or even 2023 would be interesting....

i'm working on getting a Black artist with an animal in their name to record before Saturday a song they won't release until 2023 named " Heaven 11 is a Rainy place" if that helps?

giphy.gif

Advertisement