Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar's Walrus - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

In 18th with 9 points is
    Reberetta

Annihilator - 21

Really like this one, great rhythm to it, and a simple song concept. Who doesn't love a good song about Black Jack, and possibly also about sixty-nining or am I reading too much in to it? Either way, good pick, just hard to put it ahead of the ones that ranked higher than it.

In 9th with 18 points is
    Irish Aris

The KLF - 3 AM Eternal

I vaguely recall hearing this before, but it definitely didn't leave much of an impact at the time. Wasn't too sure about it on the first listen here either, but really grew on me with each additional listen, and now I really like it.

In 19th with 8 points is
    ShaneU

The Black Keys - Ten Cent Pistol

Would be familiar with a fair amount of The Black Keys stuff, nice easy listening. I knew this one, not my favourite of theirs, but I like it, and it’s a decent choice for this category, just happened to be up against some really tough competition.

8th and getting 19 points is
    quickbeam

Echo and the Bunnymen - Seven Seas

I know some Echo & The Bunnymen, but don't think I'd ever heard this one before, and I really like it. Started off a bit lower down on the list for this round, but leapfrogged quite a few songs on repeated listen. Nice choice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Yay, I'll take that!

• Advertisement

20th with 7 points is
    the purple tin

Tom Waits - Ol '55

Wouldn't be a big Tom Waits fan, but quite liked this one. Found myself singing along on repeated listens, despite having only heard the song once or twice prior to this competition. My favourite bit is the phrase, lickety-splickly, which I feel should be used more in everyday conversation. I've heard a couple of people use it before, but they're few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Robot Morrissey scored higher than me holy jaysus

In 7th with 20 points is
    Rothko

Mansun - Six

I think I know one or two of Mansun's other songs, as they seem familiar, but none of the names of their singles are jumping out at me though. On first listen, I didn't think this song had much going for it and had it down towards the bottom, but it definitely grew on me and flew it's way up the table. Really love it now. Biggest grower of the round.

21st and getting 6 points is
    JP Liz V1

Nena - 99 Red Balloons

I nearly put this in last place solely for the fact it's not the German version... Always pick the German version!!! It's far superior. I even double checked that this was the version you wanted to use and was disappointed when you still said English. That said, it's still incredibly catchy and not as bad as I remember despite the lack of Luftballons. May have jumped up a few more spots were it "auf Deutsch," but still enjoyed it and I ranked it a fair bit higher than I initially thought I would.

20th with 7 points is
    the purple tin

Tom Waits - Ol '55

Wouldn't be a big Tom Waits fan, but quite liked this one. Found myself singing along on repeated listens, despite having only heard the song once or twice prior to this competition. My favourite bit is the phrase, lickety-splickly, which I feel should be used more in everyday conversation. I've heard a couple of people use it before, but they're few and far between.

Nice choice Purple!

• Advertisement

6th and getting 21 points is
    fixXxer

Utah Saints - B777

I had heard of Utah Saints and had listened to one or two of their songs before, but don't remember being anything memorable. B777 was new to me though and enjoyed every second of it. I don't play too many video games, but felt this wouldn't feel out of place on a level of Sonic The Hedgehog or something akin to that; I mean that in the best possible way, as when I do play video games, a great score/soundtrack is always a must.

22nd and getting 5 points is
    Zaph

Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Two Tribes

I like the energy Two Tribes has going for it, but I've always felt it lacks a bit of substance, it's all flashy around the edges, but there's nothing really going on at it's core. I know it's an anti-war song, but even lyrically it feels a bit hollow. Like a Ring Doughnut - tastes great, but where's the filling? I don't dislike it, but I just want something more from the song.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,845 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I had heard of Utah Saints and had listened to one or two of their songs before, but don't remember being anything memorable. B777 was new to me though and enjoyed every second of it. I don't play too many video games, but felt this wouldn't feel out of place on a level of Sonic The Hedgehog or something akin to that; I mean that in the best possible way, as when I do play video games, a great score/soundtrack is always a must.
    You should listen to the Celeste soundtrack

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Not last, I'll take it :D

In 5th with 22 points is
    Deleted User

Twin Shadow - Five Seconds

Love the synthy pop vibe of this one, it has a really great energy. Never heard of Twin Shadow before but if the rest of his stuff is like this, I'm in. Not much else to stay on this one, other than I really loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,889 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

17th and getting 10 points is
    tusk

Metallica - The Unforgiven II

I'm not too gone on Metallica, I do know and like some of their songs, but they've never left that much of an impression on me. I'm fairly sure I'd heard this one before though, but don't think I gave it much credit, probably because I felt at the time that it paled in comparison to it's predecessor. The Unforgiven is my favourite Metallica track, but as sequels go, this is pretty damn good. It definitely grew on me.

oh no! :o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Zaph wrote: »
    Not last, I'll take it :D

I'm here for that :D

23rd and getting 4 points is
    y0ssar1an22

Metallica - One

This is a Metallica track I was familiar with already, and I'm a bit indifferent to it. James Hetfield's voice is class of course, and for the most part I enjoy it, but for a seven and a half minute track it just doesn't leave much of an impression. It's another song that just lacks a bit of filling for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Necro wrote: »
    I'm here for that :D

*hold my beer*

In 4th place with 23 points is
    mustang shelly

Sabaton - Seven Pillars of Wisdom

As soon as I started listening to this I knew it would rank highly for this round. It instantly felt epic and was definitely one of my favourite discoveries from the entire Walrus. My initial thought was that it was a theme song for some Anime Series, it has the same kind of energy and umph to it - I can't find any evidence that it actually is, but it really should be. Really f**king enjoyable song anyway, that just demands your attention from the very first beat and never lets up. Definitely looking forward to checking out more of Sabaton's stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,242 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

21st and getting 6 points is
    JP Liz V1

Nena - 99 Red Balloons

I nearly put this in last place solely for the fact it's not the German version... Always pick the German version!!! It's far superior. I even double checked that this was the version you wanted to use and was disappointed when you still said English. That said, it's still incredibly catchy and not as bad as I remember despite the lack of Luftballons. May have jumped up a few more spots were it "auf Deutsch," but still enjoyed it and I ranked it a fair bit higher than I initially thought I would.

Mein Fehler

• Registered Users Posts: 30,430 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

23rd and getting 4 points is
    y0ssar1an22

Metallica - One

This is a Metallica track I was familiar with already, and I'm a bit indifferent to it. James Hetfield's voice is class of course, and for the most part I enjoy it, but for a seven and a half minute track it just doesn't leave much of an impression. It's another song that just lacks a bit of filling for me.

For a while I was contemplating this as my entry.

Going to let the Top 3 and the Bottom 3 stew for just a few minutes more - hadn't expected to get through the other 20 songs so fast, so no need to rush it, I can be a bit cruel... ;)

Still waiting to learn their fates (in alphabetical order) are, Clarabel, Electric Nitwit, lassykk, Necro, RasTa, and Trigger

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'm not nervous - YOU'RE Nervous!

In 4th place with 23 points is
    mustang shelly

Sabaton - Seven Pillars of Wisdom

Makes me think of Stonehenge by Spinal Tap :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

Just checking in now and glad to see I'm still in the running

• Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Good time to walk in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I'm sorry but no.

• Advertisement

In 24th and getting 3 points is
    lassykk

Finger Eleven - One Thing

Know this one pretty well. One of my radio co-hosts in college adored this song and was always playing it on our show. I don't dislike it, but always felt it was a bit meh. The other song of theirs I'm familiar with is Paralyzer which I really like and think suits the band a lot better, One Thing in comparison doesn't feel like they're doing what they do best.

Advertisement