Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar's Walrus - The Reveal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

One is one of the greatest pieces of music in all existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

fixXxer wrote: »
    I'm sorry but no.

What are you giving out about now. You're never happy. :rolleyes:

fixXxer wrote: »
    One is one of the greatest pieces of music in all existence.

When are you doing your own Walrus again? Word on the street is you got scared... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

What are you giving out about now. You're never happy. :rolleyes:

That's because everyone else gets these things so wrong!!

lassykk wrote: »
    Just checking in now and glad to see I'm still in the running
    In 24th and getting 3 points is
    lassykk

:pac:

Awks!

• Advertisement

3rd place and getting 24 points is
    Trigger

Linkin Park - One More Light

My emotional connection to this song definitely coming in to play here. For anyone who isn't familiar with Linkin Park, this is the title song from the last album they released before Chester Bennington killed himself. The song itself was written for people who are grieving the loss of a friend or loved one, and the band released it as a tribute to Chester after he died. Linkin Park were and still are a band that influenced the music I listened to as a teenager, acting as a sort of gateway from the mainstream pop music that you'd hear on the radio to much heavier and lesser known artists. I always find listening to this song incredibly cathartic and it will always hold a special place in my heart. Despite my emotional connection to this ones I just really love the top two and there are Linkin Park songs I prefer a lot more in general, so couldn't justify placing this higher, but for the quality of the round that's in it, that's not a bad position to end up in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

:pac:

Awks!

Ha, I should have stayed watching Australian Masterchef.

I'll bow out again now

25th and getting 2 points is
    RasTa

Patti Clayton - One Meatball

This was a pleasant surprise when I first listened to it. I liked the quirkiness of it and really like Patty Clayton's voice. Initially I had it ranked much higher up, but the novelty wore off on repeated listens and it just fell further and further back as other songs grew on me more, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

For a while I was contemplating this as my entry.

Me too, last minute change thankfully.

2nd place and getting 25 points is
    Necro

Britney Spears - ...Baby One More Time

Yeah, that's right b*tches... I'm giving Britney second place, because 11 year-old LeVar f**king loved this song, and 33 year-old LeVar loves it even more. Britney was never able to come close to reaching the level of brilliance that is ...Baby One More Time again, so as an artist I may not rate her particularly high in general, but this song as a standalone has got everything I want from a pop song, and always happy to hear it. Great choice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,430 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Linkin Park were and still are a band that influenced the music I listened to as a teenager, acting as a sort of gateway from the mainstream pop music that you'd hear on the radio to much heavier and lesser known artists.

Same here. Prior to Hybrid Theory, I was pretty much following whatever everyone else was listening to (as anything to the contrary would be soooo uncool) but Linkin Park opened my ears and horizons musically. Still love Linkin Park to this day.

Last in 26th place and getting 1 point is
    Electric Nitwit

The Kissaway Trail - 61

I was so indiffernt to this song. I kept forgetting it existed, and was surprised every time it came on, but not a nice surprise where you get excited because you forgot about something you loved, but the type of surprise where you groan, and think, not this again. It felt like it went on forever too, despite not being an especially long song in comparison to some of the other entries here. I don't think it's bad, I just found it really really boring. Sorry EN.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

2nd place and getting 25 points is
    Necro

Britney Spears - ...Baby One More Time

Yeah, that's right b*tches... I'm giving Britney second place, because 11 year-old LeVar f**king loved this song, and 33 year-old LeVar loves it even more. Britney was never able to come close to reaching the level of brilliance that is ...Baby One More Time again, so as an artist I may not rate her particularly high in general, but this song as a standalone has got everything I want from a pop song, and always happy to hear it. Great choice!

I probably should have stayed out of this walrus

Which means in 1st place with 26 points is
    Clarabel

Steve Reich - Eight Lines - Octet; 1979

Entering a piece that comes in at 17 minutes and 36 seconds to a Walrus is a hell of a gamble, but in this case its one that certainly paid off. An absolutely incredible piece of music, I looked forward to listening to this every single time and just found myself getting lost in it. I had heard the name Steve Reich before, but as far as I know have never heard any of his pieces, but will definitely be checking out more based on this little beauty. At first it reminded me a lot of Gerald Barry's chaotic but wonderful Piano Quartet which I studied for the auld Leaving Cert back in the day, but Eight Lines is much more restrained than that and a far far superior piece. It never felt lengthy despite its epic running time, and I was always disappointed when it ended, because I'd gladly sit and listen to this for hours.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Woohoo :D

So the leaderboard after Round 1 is as follows, but 7 Rounds in this, so it could all change yet.

name R1 R2 R3 R4 R5 R6 R7 Total
    Clarabel 26 26
    Necro 25 25
    Trigger 24 24
    mustang shelly 23 23
    Homer J. Fong 22 22
    fixXxer 21 21
    Rothko 20 20
    quickbeam 19 19
    Irish Aris 18 18
    cj maxx 17 17
    Gru 16 16
    phatkev 15 15
    Sawduck 14 14
    Kolido 13 13
    beakerjoe 12 12
    osh 11 11
    tusk 10 10
    Reberetta 9 9
    ShaneU 8 8
    the purple tin 7 7
    JP Liz V1 6 6
    Zaph 5 5
    y0ssar1an22 4 4
    lassykk 3 3
    RasTa 2 2
    Electric Nitwit 1 1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Congrats Clara.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

3rd place and getting 24 points is
    Trigger

Linkin Park - One More Light

My emotional connection to this song definitely coming in to play here. For anyone who isn't familiar with Linkin Park, this is the title song from the last album they released before Chester Bennington killed himself. The song itself was written for people who are grieving the loss of a friend or loved one, and the band released it as a tribute to Chester after he died. Linkin Park were and still are a band that influenced the music I listened to as a teenager, acting as a sort of gateway from the mainstream pop music that you'd hear on the radio to much heavier and lesser known artists. I always find listening to this song incredibly cathartic and it will always hold a special place in my heart. Despite my emotional connection to this ones I just really love the top two and there are Linkin Park songs I prefer a lot more in general, so couldn't justify placing this higher, but for the quality of the round that's in it, that's not a bad position to end up in.

I absolutely adore this song, so delighted it placed high. When I first began listening to music after having the implant, this was the actual first song that I heard with my implant, my OH had put it on in the car, and I couldnt believe that I could hear it fully(this was a couple of months down the line) . It holds a very close emotional connection to me.

Hoping to do the reveal for Round 2 #BlackCultureMatters tomorrow, but would have to do it slightly earlier, at about 5pm, unless people want me to hold off and do it sometime on Tuesday evening instead? Let me know and I'll make a decision tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,944 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Last in 26th place and getting 1 point is
    Electric Nitwit

The Kissaway Trail - 61

I was so indiffernt to this song. I kept forgetting it existed, and was surprised every time it came on, but not a nice surprise where you get excited because you forgot about something you loved, but the type of surprise where you groan, and think, not this again. It felt like it went on forever too, despite not being an especially long song in comparison to some of the other entries here. I don't think it's bad, I just found it really really boring. Sorry EN.

Strange, the link looks right but you clearly listened to the wrong song :p

• Advertisement

Strange, the link looks right but you clearly listened to the wrong song :p

It's the YouTube link you sent me buddy. ;)

And it was the same on Spotify. :D

It's the YouTube link you sent me buddy. ;)

And it was the same on Spotify. :D
    Weird, must be you then. I think Specsavers do ear tests, best go get yourself checked out ;)

Good job LeVar, that first place track sounds very intriguing. Look forward to listening to that.

Shameless plug time: for those who enjoy Walrus, you may also enjoy Surlaw. My game is currently running and you are all gently encouraged to participate.(and if you don't you will be sternly encouraged.) Click me to begin!
    In 5th with 22 points is
    Deleted User

Twin Shadow - Five Seconds

Glad you liked it. Happy with 5th place, very appropriate symmetry with the song title. :p
    20th with 7 points is
    the purple tin

Tom Waits - Ol '55

Almost went with Waits myself, 16 Shells From a Thirty-Ought-Six was on my shortlist. One of my favourite Waits songs, not sure it'd be everyone's cup of tea though.

I never made a Spotify playlist for any of the categories, as there were a good few songs missing, so I just went with YouTube playlists for the lot...

By The Numbers playlist...
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5L3Ao3oIFzqqlXOXYyqQXNTN7wZNf1v2

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Hoping to do the reveal for Round 2 #BlackCultureMatters tomorrow, but would have to do it slightly earlier, at about 5pm, unless people want me to hold off and do it sometime on Tuesday evening instead? Let me know and I'll make a decision tomorrow.

Whichever suits yourself Levar.

Weird, must be you then. I think Specsavers do ear tests, best go get yourself checked out ;)

giphy.gif

tusk wrote: »
    I probably should have stayed out of this walrus

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

wow, that was a really great selection of songs, I wouldn't want to be in your place ranking these.

Fair play Clarabel, that was a very interesting choice and I like it that you got.
    And agree with quickbeam, whenever suits you best for the next reveal, just let us know :)

• Advertisement

Irish Aris wrote: »
    wow, that was a really great selection of songs, I wouldn't want to be in your place ranking these.

Fair play Clarabel, that was a very interesting choice and I like it that you got.
    And agree with quickbeam, whenever suits you best for the next reveal, just let us know :)

Aren't you next up to run one? You'll be likely in my place very soon so. :D

Most likely I will fire ahead with the reveal about 5-ish tomorrow, as I don't want to keep people waiting if I've already got the results ready to go, but I'll let you all know by 1pm at the latest.

The plan is to reveal a Round a day if possible, but don't want to clash with any other reveals and may have to miss a day or two along the way depending on what else I've got going on.

Advertisement