Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LeVar's Walrus - The Reveal

Options

Comments

Phew! Given the pre-thread warnings, 9 points doesn't seem so bad. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

17th and getting 10 points is
    osh

R.E.M. - So. Central Rain

I'm much more familiar with '90s R.E.M. than their earlier stuff. I'd heard this before but only in passing, and hadn't paid it much heed, so wouldn't have been one I listen to regularly, but it grew on me quite a bit, so will be adding it to my R.E.M. playlist for sure. Really liked it.

Ah osh, great shout :)
    Didn't think of that, love that song. You've been hideously mistreated in the scoring there!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Woo hoo, I will take that all day every day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

In 19th place with 8 points is
    the purple tin

Mary Gauthier - It Ain't The Wind, It's The Rain

A decent song, I really like her voice, and it's a perfect fit for the theme of this category. Sorry I couldn't rank it higher, as I've said the standard of this category has been really high. (bottom 4 aside)

Phew! Given the pre-thread warnings, 9 points doesn't seem so bad. :p

Even 22nd place in this round is one I genuinely like - the drop between that and the bottom 4 is colossal. :D

• Advertisement

In 8th place with 19 points is
    Clarabel

LSD - Thunderclouds

I'm familiar with Sia, but never heard of Diplo or Labrinth. Nothing but praise for this song, the three artists gel really well together. Really enjoyed it, so will be checking out more of their stuff as a group, and their solo stuff too.

20th and getting 7 points is
    Electric Nitwit

Lemon Jelly - Nice Weather For Ducks

I've really enjoyed this song every time I've heard it in previous tournaments and such, and thought it would rank quite highly in this round, but again it just kept falling further and further back as other songs shone brighter in this instance.

7th and getting 20 points is
    fixXxer

Faith No More - Land of Sunshine

I'm familiar with some Faith No More and liked the stuff I'd heard before, but hadn't heard this one previously. Really liked it, so will be checking out more of their stuff off the back of this one.

In 21st with 6 points is
    cj maxx

The Beatles - Here Comes The Sun

I've always been a tad indifferent to Here Comes The Sun. It's enjoyable enough, but pales in comparison to some of the rest of The Beatles back catalogue. Still a good song, it just doesn't really excite me too much compared to what else was on offer in this round.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

:D

• Advertisement

6th and getting 21 points is
    quickbeam

Dire Straits - It Never Rains

I don't think you can really go wrong with Dire Straits, even their weakest songs are far superior to most; this is a definitely a great one though. Mark Knoplfer's voice is just incredibly soothing, I could listen to it all day and I'm sure I'd just feel incredibly calm the entire time.

20th and getting 7 points is
    Electric Nitwit

Lemon Jelly - Nice Weather For Ducks

I've really enjoyed this song every time I've heard it in previous tournaments and such, and thought it would rank quite highly in this round, but again it just kept falling further and further back as other songs shone brighter in this instance.

Well, that's disappointing but at least you enjoyed it. I genuinely assumed this was one of the ones you hated and had the gifs all lined up :pac:

Out of curiosity, would Thom Yorke have ranked higher do you think?

Not that I'd ever not enter this for a weather round. This song brings me sheer, unbridled, childlike joy, I truly love every second, every time I hear it :D

22nd and getting 5 points is
    Trigger

Mastodon - Blood and Thunder

I enjoyed this whenever I listened to it, but afterwards I'd always kind of just forget about it. It just didn't leave as big an impression as the others, but it was good. I've never actually read Moby Dick, so the book connection didn't mean anything to me here.

Well, that's disappointing but at least you enjoyed it. I genuinely assumed this was one of the ones you hated and had the gifs all lined up :pac:

Out of curiosity, would Thom Yorke have ranked higher do you think?

Not that I'd ever not enter this for a weather round. This song brings me sheer, unbridled, childlike joy, I truly love every second, every time I hear it :D

Quite possibly, I do like him, but the Top 22 in this round, were all genuinely really good songs, so hard to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Its squeaky bum time

In 5th place with 22 points is
    tusk

Maybeshewill - He Films The Clouds Pt. 2

Really loved this, thought it was a solid instrumental piece which I was perfectly happy about, but then the vocals come in halfway through and it just goes up another level from there. If it had just been the second half of the song, I probably would've bumped it up another spot or two, but overall still very very much enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Well I feared the worst with that early warning but I reckon I did ok that round.

Umbrella reminds me of when I lived in Dublin. Not so much that it was always on the radio but probably because it was always raining.

Ususally, I'd wait until the Top 3 and Bottom 3 before making people sweat for a few minutes, but since I've made such a big deal about the Bottom 4 in this one, now seems like a good time to have a quick intermission... ;)

Still waiting for a result (in alphabetical order) are... Irish Aris, JP Liz V1, lassykk, mustang shelly, Rothko, Sawduck, y0ssar1an, and Zaph

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Just caught up, and whew!

In 5th place with 22 points is
    tusk

Maybeshewill - He Films The Clouds Pt. 2

Really loved this, thought it was a solid instrumental piece which I was perfectly happy about, but then the vocals come in halfway through and it just goes up another level from there. If it had just been the second half of the song, I probably would've bumped it up another spot or two, but overall still very very much enjoyed it.

tenor.gif

Fecking love maybeshewill, and have been waiting to use the more obvious one in a Walrus. Great, great shout :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

9th and getting 18 points is
    Gru

Imagine Dragons - Thunder

I do have a bit of a soft spot for Imagine Dragons, they have some great tracks in their repetoire. Dan Reynolds has a fantastic voice. I was hoping to see some Imagine Dragons in the Animal Instinct category, but had forgotten they also had a song that'd be suitable for this category.

oh thank baby jesus!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Ususally, I'd wait until the Top 3 and Bottom 3 before making people sweat for a few minutes, but since I've made such a big deal about the Bottom 4 in this one, now seems like a good time to have a quick intermission... ;)

Still waiting for a result (in alphabetical order) are... Irish Aris, JP Liz V1, lassykk, mustang shelly, Rothko, Sawduck, y0ssar1an, and Zaph

All of a sudden I don't feel very confident. I didn't expect to be that high. . .or that low in this round. . .

In 23rd place with 4 pts is
    Rothko

Neil Young - Like A Hurricane

I really want to punish this and put it in last simply for being an absolutely unnecessary 8 minutes long, for an already really unbearable song, but on a positive note, there are three songs I absolutely can't stand even more that keep it out of the bottom three.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Irish Aris wrote: »
    All of a sudden I don't feel very confident. I didn't expect to be that high. . .or that low in this round. . .

I expected one of those, no prizes for guessing which one

4th and getting 23 points is
    Sawduck

Scorpions - Wind of Change

Absolute classic, just a wonderful song, and whistling in songs can often be a bit hit or miss, but this is one of the best uses of whistling in music. Great choice. Obviously a political wind rather than a meteorological one, but before anyone gets on their high horse it fits the parameters I had set out for the category, "or with references to weather in their song titles" so save your whining for someone who cares.

Rothko

I really want to punish this and put it in last simply for being an absolutely unnecessary 8 minutes long, for an already really unbearable song, but on a positive note, there are three songs I absolutely can't stand even more that keep it out of the bottom three.
    Shocked-CM-Punk.gif

I love that song!

(Although I'd listen to the unplugged version now, which is under 5mins)

24th and getting 3 points is
    JP Liz V1

Bruce Springsteen - Waitin' On A Sunny Day

If this song had a face, I’d punch it. That's it, that's the only note I've got for it. It's very punchable.

Shocked-CM-Punk.gif

I love that song!

I didn't say they're universally hated songs, I just hate them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Rothko

Nice one Rothko, don't mind him, it's a great entry.

It also doesn't bode well for one of my later submissions ....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Oh I like that Bruce song. I entered it into Molly's walrus iirc

Advertisement