Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DeWalt drill bit recommendation.

• 28-06-2020 1:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently bought a DeWalt combi drill in B&Q. They had no drill bit set at the time so I went to woodies and bought a set for €80. When I got them home & opened the box they seemed very poorly made. I also read up so reviews and they were very poor. I’ve since returned them.

Basically, I’m just looking for a good set for steel/masonry.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recently bought a DeWalt combi drill in B&Q. They had no drill bit set at the time so I went to woodies and bought a set for €80. When I got them home & opened the box they seemed very poorly made. I also read up so reviews and they were very poor. I’ve since returned them.

Basically, I’m just looking for a good set for steel/masonry.

Much better deals on Amazon definitely worth signing up
    I go to the shops for a look then purchase the item for less on Amazon
    If you sign up for prime you get Saturday delivery from anpost aswell as a few programs to watch on the smartTV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

LenWoods wrote: »
    Much better deals on Amazon definitely worth signing up
    I go to the shops for a look then purchase the item for less on Amazon
    If you sign up for prime you get Saturday delivery from anpost aswell as a few programs to watch on the smartTV

That’s just it though, I’ve been to two shops and they have shag all. The proper hardware shops I find people don’t come near you at the moment.

That’s just it though, I’ve been to two shops and they have shag all. The proper hardware shops I find people don’t come near you at the moment.

Heiton Buckley generally have great advice,
    Just tell them you have come in having forgotten your bank Card but looking for recommendations.

Quite entertaining fella in our local store;
    I remember he was selling a cordless drill with two batteries to a carpenter; told him if he wasn't tired after using up the capacity of the two batteries included in the kit then he had better contact the GP for some sleeping tablets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jogdish

When I got my dewalt combi from B&Q I got a Bosch branded drill bit set box, so wood/mas./steel/hole saw/various screw/nut attachments, very happy with it about 30 euro.

jogdish wrote: »
    When I got my dewalt combi from B&Q I got a Bosch branded drill bit set box, so wood/mas./steel/hole saw/various screw/nut attachments, very happy with it about 30 euro.

Bosch have some really good Quality equipment equal to dewalt in terms of quality and durability 👍

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

What are you drilling? I have lots of different sets and tbh hard to beat on price the basic sets you can get in Aldi and Lidl for a fiver. What I do is chuck a set of those in with each drill I have and if I do snap one (often the 1 - 2mm) then I go and buy an individual replacement of the same size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

GinSoaked wrote: »
    What are you drilling? I have lots of different sets and tbh hard to beat on price the basic sets you can get in Aldi and Lidl for a fiver. What I do is chuck a set of those in with each drill I have and if I do snap one (often the 1 - 2mm) then I go and buy an individual replacement of the same size.

I need to put up a post box in a stone wall. That’s the first job, I suppose.

So any Lidl/Aldi bit will go into a dewalt drill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

I need to put up a post box in a stone wall. That’s the first job, I suppose.

So any Lidl/Aldi bit will go into a dewalt drill?

Tough first job. Ideally you want an SDS drill for that but any decent masonry bit will give you a fighting chance. Ideally use the hammer action if you have it if not persevere and as a last resort drill into the mortar between the stones.

If the stone is really hard you may not make much impact without either hammer or ideally SDS feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Bosch, Makita, de walt, Milwaukee, or if you really want a lifetime job Hilti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I think Aldi or Lidl are selling sets at moment

I got a 100pc HSS set last year, for about €6
    I’ve been very impressed so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭CoBo55

You're absolutely wasting your time drilling masonry with round shank drill bits they'll do your head in, SDS is the only way to go. You can get an SDS chuck for using standard round shank bits. After years of torture I splashed out on a Hitachi corded SDS drill plus a set of Lidl SDS drill bits, sheer bliss, no more dying batteries, no mangled drill bits from slipping in the chuck, I just have to extra careful I don't drill into the neighbours:pac:

Advertisement