Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing from the UK

Options
  • 28-06-2020 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭

I'll be buying a Honda Blackbird in the coming months, so getting a feel for how to get the best I can for my budget.

UK looks to offer the best bang for my buck, but I've never imported before so want to make sure I know what I'm getting into.

From reading previous threads, I don't want to chance riding the bike from where I buy it to the port. Sounds too high a risk of being stopped and the bike being lifted for insurance / MOT / tax issues? I know that bringing home the V5 is essential.

So a van service seems wiser; Ted's Trucking sounds highly recommended. About €300?

I've checked VRT, comes to about €150, grand.

With regards to going over and checking it out, is there any argument for a dealer versus a private sale?
    Also, as I'm not mechanically minded past the absolute basics, would I be best to bring someone with me to have a look and check it?

Am I missing anything with the above? All advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If you buy and ride you can tax, insure and ride.....

Are you buying private?
    Or dealer?
    There are companies that deliver and around the €300-350 mark is about right.

See will the dealer do a deal with delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭goblin59

I bought a bike from Craig at suffolk motors in January.
    Had it delivered to Holyhead Ferry port by a lad called Ian Brown who does deliveries around the UK of motorcycles.
    He collected it for me from Suffolk and then we met him at the ferry there to get it back.

I had it insured with an irish insurance company on the UK Regplates (Sometimes they do it on the VIN).
    i then organised to have it put through the VRT soon after to get it registered in ireland and informed the Irish insurance company.
    Ian was £180 (cash) from suffolk to Holyhead.

his email is ironhorse073@gmail.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ironhorsebikehaulage/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

goblin59 wrote: »
    I bought a bike from Craig at suffolk motors in January.
    Had it delivered to Holyhead Ferry port by a lad called Ian Brown who does deliveries around the UK of motorcycles.
    He collected it for me from Suffolk and then we met him at the ferry there to get it back.

I had it insured with an irish insurance company on the UK Regplates (Sometimes they do it on the VIN).
    i then organised to have it put through the VRT soon after to get it registered in ireland and informed the Irish insurance company.
    Ian was £180 (cash) from suffolk to Holyhead.

his email is ironhorse073@gmail.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ironhorsebikehaulage/

This might be a stupid question but... if it was transported to Holyhead, is there any reason the cops could lift the bike at that point? Or is it just, have the paperwork in order and drive her onto the ferry?

Also, thanks for that recommendation, good to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭goblin59

This might be a stupid question but... if it was transported to Holyhead, is there any reason the cops could lift the bike at that point? Or is it just, have the paperwork in order and drive her onto the ferry?

Also, thanks for that recommendation, good to have.

once you have proof of sale and the V5c, they won't lift the bike there.
    You're not breaking any laws since you aren't driving the bike on public roads.

once all the paperwork is in order then they won't have any issues.

Not a problem!
    Ian is pretty old school btw, don't think he has whats app.
    He was pretty good with communication and very upfront.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I got mine delivered to Hollyhead in the McDonald's carpark. No issues with police at all.

• Advertisement

Lovely. Sounds like I haven't missed anything then so. Vanning it to the ferry sounds like the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Carb or fuel injected Jimmy? Is she standard, mileage?
    Have one myself.

H_Lime wrote: »
    Carb or fuel injected Jimmy? Is she standard, mileage?
    Have one myself.

Haven't picked one yet, still getting the cash saved up and my own bike sold first.

I'm fairly easy on carb or FI though, I know both sides have their advocates but I think it's win/win.

Any things to look out for? Reg/rec is a bit ropey if not sorted, front suspension can be soft after 20k miles, anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Waillee123

Not to to hijack the thread but just checking, you don't need to get an MOT from the seller to get the VRT? I know they have deferred them with C19 so a few that were due in the last 2 months may not have it done...

Also I have read you need a proof of date of sale, if private and say from NI is a hand written receipt signed by both valid?

Thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Waillee123 wrote: »
    Not to to hijack the thread but just checking, you don't need to get an MOT from the seller to get the VRT? I know they have deferred them with C19 so a few that were due in the last 2 months may not have it done...

Also I have read you need a proof of date of sale, if private and say from NI is a hand written receipt signed by both valid?

Thanks all

A hand-written receipt is acceptable for date of sale and you don't need an MOT for VRT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CorkBlackbird

When I was looking there was no real difference in cost between Ireland and the UK for Blackbirds. They are hugely popular in the UK have reached their minimum value year depending.

Med-High mileage Carb €2-3k (will need reg/rec upgrade)
    Med-High mileage FI €2-3K

2006 FI are going for around €4.5-5K

Advertisement