Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan

1789101113»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Proves the mid life crisis bit, spend a fortune on hair dye?

I do not have any dyed hair, and I have owned a red sports car for years - this is just the latest - no mid life crisis.

The bike is just to go on trips where the car would not be a good choice.

Enda Kenny used to walk to Gov buildings, ER goes by bike as it is that bit further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

When I say cyclist you know I mean sad middle-aged men in lycra who think they are in the Tour de France.

Compared to sad middle aged over weight men sitting in a Skoda thinking they are Michael Schumacher?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I see the new Lord Mayor of Dublin Hazel Chu of the Green Party doesn't want cars parking in the Phoenix Park and neither does the Green MEP Ciaran what's his name.

Surely Eamon will be able to sort this out?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I see the new Lord Mayor of Dublin Hazel Chu of the Green Party doesn't want cars parking in the Phoenix Park and neither does the Green MEP Ciaran what's his name.

He can do absolutely nothing about it without the agreement of the other parties as it falls under OPW not Transport.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I would think it is illegal parking that is the problem. I would imagine the car parks are OK with her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

When I say cyclist you know I mean sad middle-aged men in lycra who think they are in the Tour de France.

How about happy middle aged men in lycra who wonder why the drivers around them think they are in a Formula 1 race?

Or how about elderly women like these?
    https://twitter.com/SilkeRichard/status/1271844709519024128?s=19

Or how about the many families with young kids that I saw cycling today?

How about happy middle aged men in lycra who wonder why the drivers around them think they are in a Formula 1 race?

Where's their helmets?

Accidents waiting to happen, the two of them.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

And your concerned about parking in Dublin why exactly?

Did you ask the Healy Rae if they have any policies on parking?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    And your concerned about parking in Dublin why exactly?

Did you ask the Healy Rae if they have any policies on parking?

He cycles around Dublin, get with it slowcoach.

He cycles around Dublin, get with it slowcoach.

The Healy Rae double act cycle around Dublin?

• Advertisement

Where's their helmets?

Accidents waiting to happen, the two of them.

They're on tricycles mate, in case you missed it.

Where's your crash helmet for the car? Accident waiting to happen, you are, mate. That's where the vast majority of head injuries happen, in cars, not on bikes, even with seat belts and air bags etc.

Compared to sad middle aged over weight men sitting in a Skoda thinking they are Michael Schumacher?

I’d much rather be a fat fecker in a skoda than a Lycra clad Tour de France wanna be.

Where's your crash helmet for the car? Accident waiting to happen, you are, mate. That's where the vast majority of head injuries happen, in cars, not on bikes, even with seat belts and air bags etc.

How many times are you going to write this utter crap. It’s pretty clear that cyclists are in far greater risk of a head injury than someone in a car. Would you think motorcyclists don’t need helmets either? I was only reading Twitter yesterday someone who ran into a car who wrongly crossed his path being very thankful he had a helmet as he said it saved him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Speed limits are enforced , idiot behaviour by cyclists isn't , old people and families rarely ride 4 abreast and go around corners on the white line, that seems to the preserve of the middle aged man.

Barry get a new car?

I’d much rather be a fat fecker in a skoda than a Lycra clad Tour de France wanna be.

That’s the plan, once all the fatties die all early the World will be left to the rest of us :-)

At least on your death bed you can tell everyone you drove a Skoda

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/almost-70-of-cyclists-without-helmet-at-time-of-head-trauma-1.4030409

It's your choice of course, but the fat fecker in the Skoda will lose 10-20 years off his lifespan compared to the lycra clad TdF wannabe.
    How many times are you going to write this utter crap. It’s pretty clear that cyclists are in far greater risk of a head injury than someone in a car. Would you think motorcyclists don’t need helmets either? I was only reading Twitter yesterday someone who ran into a car who wrongly crossed his path being very thankful he had a helmet as he said it saved him.

Anecdote isn't a very sound basis for public safety policy.

Far more head injuries, and deaths happen in cars than on bikes.

If you believe that helmets will protect people from head injuries, you should be wearing one at all times in the car.

What percentage of motorists were without helmets at the time of head trauma?

Speed limits are enforced , idiot behaviour by cyclists isn't , old people and families rarely ride 4 abreast and go around corners on the white line, that seems to the preserve of the middle aged man.

We have 98% of motorists breaking urban speed limits in the last RSA Speed Survey, so no, speed limits are not enforced.

Cyclist behaviour is enforced all the time, though I guess the Gardai spend most of their time dealing with motorists, given that they're the ones killing 2 or 3 people each week.

You're right that old people and families rarely ride, because they've been scared off the road by the speeding, texting, Snapchatting, Facetimeing drivers - that's a problem that we need to fix.

Come on and stop bulls**t, we try to cycle in our area with our kids, it’s a road with a 60km and drops down to 30km in a village, it should be safe but every gobs**t is doing 100km and slams on to slow down as they enter the village, on exit it a race to see how fast they can get up to speed

Only last week, someone had to ditch their car because cars had backed up at the junction into village, they came around corner so fast the option was plough into all the cars or go into ditch

I seen a video on Facebook last night of some clown ina row of cars behind a tractor, decides to floor his heap of sh*t and of course goes straight into the mower as the tractor was turning and he couldn’t stop in time

a huge percentage of Irish drivers are complete gobs**ts

• Advertisement

What percentage of motorists were without helmets at the time of head trauma?

Internal injuries, when your organs whack the I side of your body at over 100 miles an hour are the main cause of death in road accidents, head injuries from road accidents are quite low, got concussion from putting the windscreen out with my head in 1988 but nothing major

Internal injuries, when your organs whack the I side of your body at over 100 miles an hour are the main cause of death in road accidents, head injuries from road accidents are quite low, got concussion from putting the windscreen out with my head in 1988 but nothing major

You're looking at head injuries as a proportion of overall motoring injuries. That's not really relevant.

If you look at motoring injuries as a proportion of overall head injuries, you will see that it is one of the major causes of head injuries (unlike cycling).

9136661513_df5c60f306_o.png

So, crash helmets for all motorists, right?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...and had you been wearing a helmet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Wow,

I hope Ryan isn't in his position for long because he he hasn't a clue.
    Worst polluters in this country are cows.
    Second is traffic pollution..i think,
    But in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter what we do...ee have to do our best and I believe most of us do.
    But he wants to tax us for living...
    Remember his 8c is still on fuel from his last administion...

The wow bit was because of the nonsense above...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Wow,

I hope Ryan isn't in his position for long because he he hasn't a clue.
    Worst polluters in this country are cows.
    Second is traffic pollution..i think,
    But in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter what we do...ee have to do our best and I believe most of us do.
    But he wants to tax us for living...
    Remember his 8c is still on fuel from his last administion...

The wow bit was because of the nonsense above...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

4 abreast and go around corners on the white line, l

Must be a very wide white line.

...and had you been wearing a helmet?

helmet!! I wasn't wearing a seatbelt,

Come on and stop bulls**t, we try to cycle in our area with our kids, it’s a road with a 60km and drops down to 30km in a village, it should be safe but every gobs**t is doing 100km and slams on to slow down as they enter the village, on exit it a race to see how fast they can get up to speed

Only last week, someone had to ditch their car because cars had backed up at the junction into village, they came around corner so fast the option was plough into all the cars or go into ditch

I seen a video on Facebook last night of some clown ina row of cars behind a tractor, decides to floor his heap of sh*t and of course goes straight into the mower as the tractor was turning and he couldn’t stop in time

a huge percentage of Irish drivers are complete gobs**ts

So are cyclists

So are cyclists

Probably true enough, though it's worth remembering that gob****e cyclists don't kill two or three people each week.

• Advertisement

So are cyclists

How? because they hold the road?

'
    How? because they hold the road?

There are two types of cyclists on the road near me, type one are Indian dudes going to work, stay to the side, signal when turning, sound, second type is the balding school teacher with a fetish for L ycra, who doesn't stop at junctions, roars at pedestrians and wanders from lane to lane on the road, purposely holds the white line to stop cars passing and quite happily crosses the road in front of oncoming cars, whether it's the dodgy uniform or the mid life crisis that's causing this ,I don't know but it makes my view of cyclists quite poor

'

There are two types of cyclists on the road near me, type one are Indian dudes going to work, stay to the side, signal when turning, sound, second type is the balding school teacher with a fetish for L ycra, who doesn't stop at junctions, roars at pedestrians and wanders from lane to lane on the road, purposely holds the white line to stop cars passing and quite happily crosses the road in front of oncoming cars, whether it's the dodgy uniform or the mid life crisis that's causing this ,I don't know but it makes my view of cyclists quite poor

Does the 98% of drivers who break urban speed limits in the RSA Speed Survey make your view of motorists quite poor?

Does the 98% of drivers who break urban speed limits in the RSA Speed Survey make your view of motorists quite poor?

RSA aren't a reliable source, no way is it 98% ( I can't be everywhere ). Remember the time they got scammed by the tyre sales industfy on part worn tyres, turned off the ABS so the part worn tyres would skid, bunch of political rejects

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement