Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Truthvader wrote: »
    we can't just keep building more roads or adding extra lanes to existing roads

Why?

Because we need houses to live in preferably close to where people work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Why?

For the obvious reason that it makes traffic worse in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Thats only the start of it.The electrification of the national fleet will be fast tracked now with these eejits in charge. Guess what we still power all these electric vehicles using fossil fuel - all the greens will be doing is moving the problem - I doubt that there will be any difference in reality in carbon emissions - what I can guarantee though is that we will buy more carbon credits and throw a few hundred a year onto the carbon tax making the Greens look great while us the tax payers end up paying these fools wages.

Untrue, you could google Ireland's electricity grid if you are unsure how it works or google how electric vehicles compare to fossil fuel powered ones. Ireland's electricity grid is about 80% a mix of wind and natural gas. Peat and coal fired generation will be completely gone from Ireland in the next 5 to 10 years. Natural gas is many multiple times more carbon efficient than diesel or petrol and it's much easier to regulate emissions from one gas turbine than it is to regulate emissions from 10,000 privately owned cars. Electric cars are only part of the solution. The reality is there is not enough precious metals on this planet to manufacture an EV for every household in the western world. Decarbonising transport means first and foremost people living closer to their work/shopping/education, more walking and cycling, more public transport and then using EVs to fill in what ever gaps remain.
    The greens ruined the motor industry before telling everyone to buy diesels because they were cleaner and look what the outcome of that was.

You're just going to have to get over this. At the time people did think this was the case, do you blame people for buying asbestos based products 50 years ago or do you accept that it was the consensus at the time and we know more now?
    Whoever gave Eamon Ryan the transport ministry should be brought out and shot. Hes no more qualified as a transport minister than Simon Harris was as a health minister.
    We don't know this to be fair and we can at least take comfort in that he actually knoes something about the topic unlike lord ross.
    We`re all absolutely ****ed now.Especially anyone that wants to keep ICE or those working in the motor trade or transport sectors.

We are about to enter into one of the biggest recessions the world will ever see and the last thing we need is to tax the **** out of the transport industry which is whats going to happen with the greens in charge.

When you say the transport industry, do you mean the car industry? If so then I'd support taxing the sh!te out of it. Cars, car parts and fuel for cars takes money out of the Irish economy and gives it to Saudi Arabia and Germany, it's a net negative for the Irish economy.
    Jobs will be lost due to their policies but yay we`ll save a few whales along the way while we sing Kumbaya perched around the campfire because we wont be able to afford to heat our homes.!!!

I am all for cleaning the planet up and being more environmentally friendly but it has to be done right.

people who claim to support environmentally friendly policies with 'buts' attachedand then characterise people who actually care about these issues as you have above are me feiners who are not fooling anyone.
    If we are going to electrify the national fleet then we need to look at how our power is generated - fossil fueled power plants dont fix things - they only move the issue from supplier to consumer.

Electricity generation is the only area that Ireland has made significant ground in decarbonisation so clearly this has already been thought of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Why?

How many years has Ireland built roads? has the traffic got any better or worse?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    One of the ideas of the Greens is to connect to France so we can use nucleur but not have to build a station, good idea?
    That interconnector has been in progress for a while...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Interconnector

It has also been part funded by the EU: https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/1002/1080715-interconnector-electricity/

• Advertisement

Why?
    ...and have more urban sprawl which in the long term means it costs much more to provide services and people have less options in terms of commuting, etc.
    In addition, you're further encouraging the dependency on cars which leads to further congestion and longer journey times.
    Name one country where urbal sprawl has been positive?

That interconnector has been in progress for a while...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_Interconnector

It has also been part funded by the EU: https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/1002/1080715-interconnector-electricity/

Never knew, I seen it mentioned in program

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

From a societal perspective, cycling is superior to driving (especially ICE vehicles) for a number of reasons.

Road use/traffic efficiency: one person on a bike takes up less space than one person in a 4 person car or SUV. Allowing more people to travel on the road at one time.

Health:

Personal - cycling reduces sedentary lifestyle and substantial health costs that obesity and cardiovascular disease cause.

Community - bicycles do not produce smog/emissions that contribute to respiratory diseases

Collisions - RTCs involving motorised vehicles are much more likely to result in serious disability or death than those involving eg cyclist v cyclist or cyclist v pedestrian.

City planning: bicycle storage requires substantially less space than car parks.

Climate: bicycles obviously do not contribute to climate change. EVs are better but still ethical issues with mining for lithium.

I am a car and bike owner. I need to drive for my job (which is 'essential'). I have no problem with bike use being encouraged and car use discouraged. One is beneficial to society and the other is much less so. I am also delighted to see a Green Party member with the transport brief. Hopefully Ryan succeeds in creating a better balance between all forms of transport on the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Fred_

lozenges wrote: »
    From a societal perspective, cycling is superior to driving (especially ICE vehicles) for a number of reasons.

Road use/traffic efficiency: one person on a bike takes up less space than one person in a 4 person car or SUV. Allowing more people to travel on the road at one time.

Health:

Personal - cycling reduces sedentary lifestyle and substantial health costs that obesity and cardiovascular disease cause.

Community - bicycles do not produce smog/emissions that contribute to respiratory diseases

Collisions - RTCs involving motorised vehicles are much more likely to result in serious disability or death than those involving eg cyclist v cyclist or cyclist v pedestrian.

City planning: bicycle storage requires substantially less space than car parks.

Climate: bicycles obviously do not contribute to climate change. EVs are better but still ethical issues with mining for lithium.

I am a car and bike owner. I need to drive for my job (which is 'essential'). I have no problem with bike use being encouraged and car use discouraged. One is beneficial to society and the other is much less so. I am also delighted to see a Green Party with the transport brief. Hopefully Ryan succeeds in creating a better balance between all forms of transport on the roads.

Bikes don't just improve heath but also wealth. Cheaper than cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Oh, I see the lycra brigade have invited some more of their friends along. Most be gone quiet over in the MAMIL forum, got tired of preaching and moaning to the same choir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

donvito99 wrote: »
    70% of people commuting into Dublin city are not in cars already so a metro isn't required in order to deal with the traffic caused by the private car at rush hour.

A metro is required, 70% commuting are people who can’t drive, don’t have available parking near their work, don’t see it as convenient, traffic etc.

They have to suffer a poor overground transport system. A metro is needed, required, will happen regardless of people who think we should walk, cycle, climb, skateboard or otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Nobody is arguing against metro though.

Health:

I am a car and bike owner. I need to drive for my job (which is 'essential'). I have no problem with bike use being encouraged and car use discouraged. One is beneficial to society and the other is much less so. I am also delighted to see a Green Party member with the transport brief. Hopefully Ryan succeeds in creating a better balance between all forms of transport on the roads.

Great, you are choosing to do all that, your lifestyle, your choices.. problem comes when you start attempting to dictate to the rest of us...

You want cars off the road, we simply need to continue investing in and building public transport to facilitate that happening... building it, not like the metro ... proposed in 2005, to be completed in 2027... almost a quarter of a century between ‘hey I know what...’ to.... ‘tickets please !’ Actually, that’s only if things remain on (off) track as they are now... one line, 16 stops, about 23 years...

Ryan can go on about demonizing cars and car users all he wants but unless there is a viable alternative transport system to cope with demand and transport people across and around the approximately 115 km squared of Dublin in comfort and efficiently he can go swing a gibbon, guy is living in dreamland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

bazz26 wrote: »
    I have absolutely no useful thoughts or opinions to contribute and I'm feeling a little out of my depth listening to people having an adult discussion, so let me throw in a few schoolyard insults to see if I can drag things down to my level so I can feel less insecure

Don't fret lad, school will be back soon :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds like I hit a nerve. Say hello to Cycle Dub will you.

Strumms wrote: »
    Great, you are choosing to do all that, your lifestyle, your choices.. problem comes when you start attempting to dictate to the rest of us...

You want cars off the road, we simply need to continue investing in and building public transport to facilitate that happening... building it, not like the metro ... proposed in 2005, to be completed in 2027... almost a quarter of a century between ‘hey I know what...’ to.... ‘tickets please !’ Actually, that’s only if things remain on (off) track as they are now... one line, 16 stops, about 23 years...

Ryan can go on about demonizing cars and car users all he wants but unless there is a viable alternative transport system to cope with demand and transport people across and around the approximately 115 km squared of Dublin in comfort and efficiently he can go swing a gibbon, guy is living in dreamland.

Literally the entire point of the post was that individual choices have an impact on wider society. So it's not just my lifestyle, my choices. It affects everyone. Including you. Income tax paid by you is going on treating obesity related diseases, fines for not meeting climate targets, etc.

No-one is trying to banish cars from the road altogether. It's about shifting away from the primacy of the private car as the default and encouraging other - less detrimental - modes of transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Greens Vs ff, fg
    Cyclists Vs Cars

Can cyclists please stop posting in this topic.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Oh, I see the lycra brigade have invited some more of their friends along. Most be gone quiet over in the MAMIL forum, got tired of preaching and moaning to the same choir.

I have a pastel coloured ladies bike complete with basket, on which I tend to travel at a very leisurely pace. I assure you I am not a MAMIL. :)

Phil.x wrote: »
    Greens Vs ff, fg
    Cyclists Vs Cars

Can cyclists please stop posting in this topic.
    Are you afraid of debating the points?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Why?

More roads brings more traffic. Loads of academic research confirming this, or just look at what happened on the M50 and the N7 when the third lane was added.

518267.jpg

Finallycartoon.jpg

• Advertisement

More roads brings more traffic. Loads of academic research confirming this, or just look at what happened on the M50 and the N7 when the third lane was added.

You would be surprised at the amount of people who actually think putting another lane onto the M50 will resolve the problem.

The same as the people who thought newlandscross would fix the traffic, not just get them quicker to the traffic jam on the M50

You would be surprised at the amount of people who actually think putting another lane onto the M50 will resolve the problem.

The same as the people who thought newlandscross would fix the traffic, not just get them quicker to the traffic jam on the M50

Is there anything to be said for another lane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Surely a lot of the humdrum on the M50 will be gone now with the working from home and the supermassive recession they're going to be imposing on us for the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

518267.jpg

Finallycartoon.jpg

So maybe a fat carpark at the end rather than a thin road

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

Newlands cross upgrade made a big difference when leaving Dublin!

And its freezing. Remember global warming? F*** the polar bears. Time to torch some carbon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

And its freezing. Remember global warming? F*** the polar bears. Time to torch some carbon

:D:D:D

Humour also isn't allowed by our Green overlords. You're required to look anxious, miserable, indignant at those taking pleasure from life, and well ... Green.

So maybe a fat carpark at the end rather than a thin road

And where exactly will the big fat carpark fit? And how will the poor drivers get from the big fat carpark to their places of work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Expect diesel and petrol to top 2 euro a litre inside 3 years

The plan is to increase the carbon tax from 26 euro to 100 per tonne.

This will lead to a rise in petrol tax of 17 cent.

• Advertisement

And where exactly will the big fat carpark fit? And how will the poor drivers get from the big fat carpark to their places of work?

Big fat road under the city called the port tunnel. Could build mutiple big fat carparks all over the city - maybe all linked by underground Or.....

Lets tax and clamp everything forever until we achieve that perfect Luddite theme park fantasyland

?Cee?view wrote: »
    :D:D:D

Humour also isn't allowed by our Green overlords. You're required to look anxious, miserable, indignant at those taking pleasure from life, and well ... Green.

Ah now Gretta's hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Ah now Gretta's hilarious

Imagine being stuck in a sailing boat crossing the Atlantic with Eamon Ryan and Gretta Thunberg :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Jizique

Geuze wrote: »

That’s around the price drop in the last few months from the price of oil, so it shouldn’t be noticed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

ah f*ckin b@lls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

?Cee?view wrote: »

Imagine being stuck in a sailing boat crossing the Atlantic with Eamon Ryan and Gretta Thunberg :eek:

i would use my own face as an iceberg

• Advertisement

Big fat road under the city called the port tunnel. Could build mutiple big fat carparks all over the city - maybe all linked by underground Or.....

Lets tax and clamp everything forever until we achieve that perfect Luddite theme park fantasyland

Draw us a map - find spaces 'all over the city' for your big fat car parks, and let's see how you're going to link them to the (already massively overcrowded) M50 or other access routes with your big fat tunnels.

You do remember how difficult and expensive it was to build one fairly short stretch of tunnel over one carefully selected route, right?

Literally the entire point of the post was that individual choices have an impact on wider society. So it's not just my lifestyle, my choices. It affects everyone. Including you. Income tax paid by you is going on treating obesity related diseases, fines for not meeting climate targets, etc.

No-one is trying to banish cars from the road altogether. It's about shifting away from the primacy of the private car as the default and encouraging other - less detrimental - modes of transport.

You want less cars on the road, you need proper public transport. I live about 5.1 kms south of Dublin airport. Using public transport as is NOW... It will take approximately 55 minutes and two buses from leaving my house to arriving at the airport. Driving it’s 16 minutes. No comparison. That lug 10 times a week, especially in winter, 4 minutes walk between the two bus stops, the waiting, the freezing... Friday comes, you feel that extra effort and stress.

Less cars on the road for sure... but you cannot begin pointing the green gun at peoples heads until you HAVE provided the necessary alternative mode of transport... cost effective, efficient, clean, safe and far reaching...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

His first job should be to take on the Irish insurance federation/cartel.
    If they discourage private motor car usage he will support them over the taxpayers.
    Less cars on the road for sure... but you cannot begin pointing the green gun at peoples heads until you HAVE provided the necessary alternative mode of transport... cost effective, efficient, clean, safe and far reaching...
    I guess you didn't notice SFA done with pubiclic transport while cars get less and less roadway? Job one is to discourage you using the car, if they can get away with building no public transport to replace it, they will will. Think of the money saved :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Jizique

You want less cars on the road, you need proper public transport. I live about 5.1 kms south of Dublin airport. Using public transport as is NOW... It will take approximately 55 minutes and two buses from leaving my house to arriving at the airport. Driving it’s 16 minutes. No comparison. That lug 10 times a week, especially in winter, 4 minutes walk between the two bus stops, the waiting, the freezing... Friday comes, you feel that extra effort and stress.

5km is a 20 minute cycle; 15 on an ebike.
    One can’t expect door to door transport for everyone, and given you are “going against the traffic” there is no reason not to drive. The issue would be if you had to drive the 5km into the city Centre, which would probably take an hour.

You could probably do that trip in 15 minutes on a bike.

• Advertisement

Is there a source for this?

I live about 5.1 kms south of Dublin airport. Using public transport as is NOW... It will take approximately 55 minutes and two buses from leaving my house to arriving at the airport. Driving it’s 16 minutes. No comparison. That lug 10 times a week, especially in winter, 4 minutes walk between the two bus stops, the waiting, the freezing... Friday comes, you feel that extra effort and stress.
    My commute is about 12km on the western side of Dublin.
    I have consistently found that it takes longer to commute by car than by bicycle.
    On average car takes about 28-30 minutes. By bicycle it takes about 22-26 (depending on wind).
    Also it generally doesn't rain and im not cold because I dress for the weather. If you're freezing then maybe consider moving rather than just standing there. Also, are you freezing all year round while you wait there?
    When I get to work or home, I'm feeling good & refreshed.
    Nobody is pointing a gun. Attempts are being made to improve bus services his Bus Connects but are being stifled by misinformed politicians, residents who don't want to lose a small portion their large front gardens and also by bus unions.
    The gun that you refer to might be the council reallocating road space towards efficient modest transport. Don't feel bad about it though - it's for the greater good :D

Is there a source for this?

I calculated it.

Have a look:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113889703

Ok, so eventually the carbon tax should be 100 pt, from 26 pt now.

26 pt now = 5.985 cent per litre of petrol

100 pt future = 23 cent per litre

So the tax per litre of petrol will rise by 17 cent.

Jizique wrote: »
    5km is a 20 minute cycle; 15 on an ebike.
    One can’t expect door to door transport for everyone, and given you are “going against the traffic” there is no reason not to drive. The issue would be if you had to drive the 5km into the city Centre, which would probably take an hour.

You could, however about 1.5kms of the trip is done on poor yet busy roads with with poor or no lighting due to the close proximity of the runway. I know, I’ve done it... it’s 30 minutes. Against traffic? Incorrect, when I’m starting and finishing there is considerable traffic also heading north, then returning south, many HGV and other industrial vehicles, cycle lanes... looking at google maps for accuracy make up about 20% of the route, that’s a generous estimate.

I calculated it.

Have a look:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113889703

Ok, so eventually the carbon tax should be 100 pt, from 26 pt now.

26 pt now = 5.985 cent per litre of petrol

100 pt future = 23 cent per litre

So the tax per litre of petrol will rise by 17 cent.
    That's clearer now. So the plan is to increase the price over a ten year period by 17cent.
    Oh no! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Here's what they think of Eamon. I laughed, a lot. :D

https://twitter.com/i/status/1277653682046337027

That's clearer now. So the plan is to increase the price over a ten year period by 17cent.
    Oh no! :rolleyes:

The plan is to increase the carbon tax from 26 euro pt to 100 euro pt.

That would translate to an increase in petrol tax of 17 cent per litre.

The price of petrol is dependent on many factors:

crude oil cost
    wholesale and retail margins
    excise duty
    VAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

crude oil cost
    wholesale and retail margins
    excise duty
    VAT

And you forgot the factor, of how much the fuel washers are skimming :) Or sideways/grey imports.

Then there is competition at which point some fuel stations actually sell fuel at near loss, to make more money on coffee etc. just to beat the local competition.

Oh ... wait .. and what time of the day it is. Cause fuel prices for each individual fuel station may (most likely) go up during rush hour. Keep an eye out for that.

/M

You could, however about 1.5kms of the trip is done on poor yet busy roads with with poor or no lighting due to the close proximity of the runway. I know, I’ve done it... it’s 30 minutes. Against traffic? Incorrect, when I’m starting and finishing there is considerable traffic also heading north, then returning south, many HGV and other industrial vehicles, cycle lanes... looking at google maps for accuracy make up about 20% of the route, that’s a generous estimate.

I would have been surprised if you didn’t come up with more excuses. Most Irish people don’t want to use anything else but a car and they will come up with every excuse not too look at alternatives

It’s a free world and your entitled to use your car, but your car is polluting the atmosphere, doesn’t matter if electric either. So you pay additional tax to use it.

I think people need to realise this and then stop complaining when they have to pay more tax.

For the people with no alternative we’ll you should focus your anger on the people in cars who have an alternative, who could use public transport/bike etc as they are the issue.

Marlow wrote: »
    And you forgot the factor, of how much the fuel washers are skimming :) Or sideways/grey imports.

Then there is competition at which point some fuel stations actually sell fuel at near loss, to make more money on coffee etc. just to beat the local competition.

Oh ... wait .. and what time of the day it is. Cause fuel prices for each individual fuel station may (most likely) go up during rush hour. Keep an eye out for that.

/M

Ahh come on, I have heard this for year of the poor fuel station. It was a good PR story but a load of BS.

Case in point, in Ashbourne they have garages not too far. One guy went in and filled up, said he was surprised they had fuel so cheap at 5c per litre cheaper to rival. Owner walked out, looked up road and put the price up to match

Many similar cases around Ireland. The garages are not selling at a loss

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement