Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Minister for Transport Eamon Ryan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

My commute is about 12km on the western side of Dublin.
    I have consistently found that it takes longer to commute by car than by bicycle.
    On average car takes about 28-30 minutes. By bicycle it takes about 22-26 (depending on wind).
    Also it generally doesn't rain and im not cold because I dress for the weather. If you're freezing then maybe consider moving rather than just standing there. Also, are you freezing all year round while you wait there?
    When I get to work or home, I'm feeling good & refreshed.

Nobody is pointing a gun. Attempts are being made to improve bus services his Bus Connects but are being stifled by misinformed politicians, residents who don't want to lose a small portion their large front gardens and also by bus unions.
    The gun that you refer to might be the council reallocating road space towards efficient modest transport. Don't feel bad about it though - it's for the greater good :D

Bus connects? Anything with the word "bus" in it is a third world non solution. Didnt have a car until my thirties so suffered a lifetime of CIE. Will pay anything not to go back to that misery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Truthvader wrote: »
    Bus connects? Anything with the word "bus" in it is a third world non solution. Didnt have a car until my thirties so suffered a lifetime of CIE. Will pay anything not to go back to that misery

You must be a troll. What 1st world country doesn't have bus services?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

I think Covid may put a stad to alot of Eamos public transport fantasys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Truthvader wrote: »

You can continue to use your car. You just need to pay more for using it.

So not sure why you are complaining so much. You say yourself that you "will pay anything" to not use public transport so happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Fred_

What do the car people suggest to resolve the climate / traffic / environmental issues around car usage in our cities?

Fred_ wrote: »
    What do the car people suggest to resolve the climate / traffic / environmental issues around car usage in our cities?

1. Stop cars into the cities
    2. If they need to bring a car in then electric as no fumes

Done

I know people will go on about deliveries etc but all work around for them.

They don't care/believe in them, they only care about their own consumption.

I think Covid may put a stad to alot of Eamos public transport fantasys

Eamon has yet to adopt any public transport strategies, any different from the previous government's which weren't implemented. Can you name one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Fred_

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    1. Stop cars into the cities
    2. If they need to bring a car in then electric as no fumes

Done

I know people will go on about deliveries etc but all work around for them.
    No fumes and no / less noise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

cgcsb wrote: »
    Eamon has yet to adopt any public transport strategies, any different from the previous government's which weren't implemented. Can you name one?

Eamonn is in the job for less than 48 hours, so I'm not sure it is entirely fair to suggest he's been slow to adopt policies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The only city it really affects is Dublin, let Dublin councils legislate what they want to do and leave the rest of the country alone, different areas need different rules ,one size fits all Dublin centric policies are unsuitable for most of the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I would have been surprised if you didn’t come up with more excuses. Most Irish people don’t want to use anything else but a car and they will come up with every excuse not too look at alternatives

It’s a free world and your entitled to use your car, but your car is polluting the atmosphere, doesn’t matter if electric either. So you pay additional tax to use it.

I think people need to realise this and then stop complaining when they have to pay more tax.

For the people with no alternative we’ll you should focus your anger on the people in cars who have an alternative, who could use public transport/bike etc as they are the issue.

Excuses ? When I lived and worked in Paris, I never set foot in a car. I had to transport me an efficient, clean, well planned and well ran public transport service. For ALL the people in the city... I could travel my 13 kms to work, in 40 minutes, 30 of that on the metro including one change, 10 mins walking...to and from both stations.

When we have something in place to enable people traverse this city with similar efficiency and comfort, then we can ‘action’ getting cars off the road. Believe it , people want this scenario, but are a little fed up of hearing about ‘planning’ they want to be ‘using’. Remember, from the first idea for the Dublin metro, to bums on seats will be 26 years...this is a big, densely populated, busy, vibrant, culturally expansive city, the hub of our economy... what the fûck was going on that meant it was going to take a third of a lifetime to build one metro line? Cars out ok, but not before we have an alternative.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The only city it really affects is Dublin, let Dublin councils legislate what they want to do and leave the rest of the country alone, different areas need different rules ,one size fits all Dublin centric policies are unsuitable for most of the country
    It's not just about cars in Dublin - it's about an entire national change.
    It's about creating a culture where it is safe to let children cycle to school.
    It's about sustainable development and not ribbon development and one off housing.
    It's about encouraging sustainable towns and villages.
    We've allowed ourselves to become Americanised where were too lazy to walk to the local shop and would rather drive to some out of town retail park.

Eamonn is in the job for less than 48 hours, so I'm not sure it is entirely fair to suggest he's been slow to adopt policies.

That's not what I was suggesting, look at what I was replying to.

Not really, all towns have to adapt.

• Advertisement

It's not just about cars in Dublin - it's about an entire national change.
    It's about creating a culture where it is safe to let children cycle to school.
    It's about sustainable development and not ribbon development and one off housing.
    It's about encouraging sustainable towns and villages.
    We've allowed ourselves to become Americanised where were too lazy to walk to the local shop and would rather drive to some out of town retail park.

, they closed the bank's, post offices and Garda stations in the small towns so little reason to visit , lockdown as moved many to online shopping and they won't return. Small towns are just places where people sleep when they aren't working in the larger ones which they need to drive to.

, they closed the bank's, post offices and Garda stations in the small towns so little reason to visit , lockdown as moved many to online shopping and they won't return. Small towns are just places where people sleep when they aren't working in the larger ones which they need to drive to.
    Yeah, it's strange how other countries can continue to keep their towns and villages but we can't. Whilst technology has displaced the need for some traditional retail outlets, many others are still needed.
    Garda stations closed because we would rather crappy tax reductions in our annual budget (which are taken back from elsewhere anyhow) rather than increase taxes and get better value for money.
    Rural decline happened partly because of modernisation. It has accelerated because of our modern lifestyle choices.

No fault to Ryan but peoples view of him would be that he's a bit touched, very hard to sell something to the public when it's coming from someone like that, whole party would str similar views,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Eamon thinks everyone could avail of the likes of go car or cycle...

He is a very dangerous person to be in such a position.

Life isn't always black and white and people need to be able to get around more then any psv can get them.

Why do people keep voting them back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

I haven't read through the whole thread so someone else may have mentioned this but....

I have yet to see a Transport Minister give any sort of incentive to people to try out scooters and motorbikes as a tool to combat congestion. There are plenty of studies out there which have proven the positive benefits of scooters and motorbikes on traffic congestion, not just on those riding the scooters or motorbikes, but also on the car/van/truck/bus drivers too.

I won't be able to take him seriously if he does not acknowledge that motorbikes and scooters are a healthy part of the overall traffic mix rather than just a hobby for folks. Before Covid I commuted every workday on my motorbike. In the car, the same commute would have been 60 minutes, on the motorbike it was 30. Part of that was not having to go looking for a parking space, part of it was responsibly filtering through stationary traffic queues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Will Eamonn allow you to have a car though?
    Green Party leader Eamon Ryan has suggested that a village of 300 people needs just 30 cars to operate.

He believes the Government should incentivise car-sharing, and move towards a situation where a village would have a set amount of cars and there “would always be one available” through a collection and drop-off system

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/green-party-leader-calls-for-car-pooling-scheme-for-rural-ireland-1.4046585

Hate to tell you but that is the future:eek:

Talk to any of the large leasing companies and soon people will not be buying cars. PCP is the start which people loved, just paying a monthly fee but in reality you could do for rest of your life and never own your car

The future is a number of cars sitting in a spot which you can walk down to, swipe your CC and off you go, returning the car that evening. Similar to some of the car companies in Dublin now

Over the next few years you will see this more and more. The overheads of owning a car will continue to increase and increase. Just look at the price of a car, it is not going down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Massive gains by Sinn Fein and we Still end up with the Green party in Government. You cant make this **** up sometimes.

I forsee a lot of heartache for the average motorist in the coming years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭geotrig

Fabio wrote: »
    I haven't read through the whole thread so someone else may have mentioned this but....

I have yet to see a Transport Minister give any sort of incentive to people to try out scooters and motorbikes as a tool to combat congestion. There are plenty of studies out there which have proven the positive benefits of scooters and motorbikes on traffic congestion, not just on those riding the scooters or motorbikes, but also on the car/van/truck/bus drivers too.

I won't be able to take him seriously if he does not acknowledge that motorbikes and scooters are a healthy part of the overall traffic mix rather than just a hobby for folks. Before Covid I commuted every workday on my motorbike. In the car, the same commute would have been 60 minutes, on the motorbike it was 30. Part of that was not having to go looking for a parking space, part of it was responsibly filtering through stationary traffic queues.

This has baffled me for years, why there wasnt /isnt a push on mopeds / scooters now etc as a way forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Vicxas wrote: »
    Massive gains by Sinn Fein and we Still end up with the Green party in Government. You cant make this **** up sometimes.

People won’t and don’t have to put up with heartache. It’s a democracy, if people don’t like the way the country is being run, get rid of the government...

You want cars off the road there has to be a viable, efficient and workable alternative. For ‘now’ at this instance there isn’t. It’s coming but it’s not here, yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Not oy the motorist it's anyone that needs electric or hell even some heating to stay alive....

They're taxing us all hard on something so essential.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Massive gains from not that much to 25% does not get them into government.

SF were claiming that there was a vote for change - but not their flavour of change. If you shout loud enough, some people might listen, but when the facts are against you, then the facts are against you. 25% is not 50% - it is just half of 50%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

The massive gains by SF are the reason we have the Green Party in Government.

Leo and Micheál would have done a deal with the devil himself to keep them out.

All we can do is hope Eamonn doesn’t do too much damage before this sham of a government hits a brick wall.

Eamon thinks everyone could avail of the likes of go car or cycle...

He is a very dangerous person to be in such a position.

Life isn't always black and white and people need to be able to get around more then any psv can get them.

Why do people keep voting them back.
    I reckon that you're misrepresenting something he previously said but at no time has he said that everyone could or should avail of go car or cycle.
    What he did say was that most people don't need to own a car and most cars are sitting in a car park 95% of the time. Is he wrong?
    Is he wrong when he said that many communities could save money through communal car ownership?

I once worked for someone who didn't drive (couldn't drive!) and he found that it cost him less to use taxis. Ryan is using similar logic except with common ownership.

At no point has he tried to stop car ownership - sure he owns a car himself!

What is dangerous though is people posting stuff as a truth which is incorrect!

At what point in that article did you form the view tht he was trying to stop car ownership?
    He also discussed how rurla Ireland would embrace electric cars before saying how electric cars were better cars. I don't see what you somehow managed to interpret from what he said.

• Advertisement

hawkwing wrote: »
    So I should walk 3 miles to the nearest village hoping there is a car there,then drive 15 miles to the nearest Lidl and walk back another 3 miles after dropping the car off whilst carrying the shopping. This would need 2 or 3 weekly round trips =60-90miles of driving so you could carry the stuff instead of the one 26mile round trip from home. Hideous:confused:
    No. Why do you assume that you can't have your own car? :rolleyes:
    What is being proposed is for those who subscribe to a service, they can have the use of a car for a much cheaper monthly cost than those who choose to buy outright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Electricity grid isn't in great shape, power cuts will become more frequent, having a tonne and a half of useless sitting in the yard isn't going to much of an incentive.

Interesting post. Why do you say the grid isn’t in great shape?

So I should walk 3 miles to the nearest village hoping there is a car there,then drive 15 miles to the nearest Lidl and walk back another 3 miles after dropping the car off whilst carrying the shopping. This would need 2 or 3 weekly round trips =60-90miles of driving so you could carry the stuff instead of the one 26mile round trip from home. Hideous:confused:

Why do so many people think that EVERYTHING is specifically about them? is it a boomer generational thing? is it a culchie thing? is it both?

Buy a bike :-)

I joke but I doubt large car companies and lease companies are going to target every individual in the World. They will focus on the majority, the million or so in Dublin for a start

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

The greens also made massive gains, respective to previous years. Doubled their number of seats.

:)

Do you need someone to explain to you the difference between being the largest party and getting a majority?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

lozenges wrote: »
    The greens also made massive gains, respective to previous years. Doubled their number of seats.

:)

I think going from 2 seats to 12 seats is a bit more than doubling.

They have also achieved a good number of seats on DCC, in fact enough to now hold the Lord Mayor of Dublin, and the Mansion House. The Green Party have 10 councillors, equal to FF, and could have had another one as Councillor Hazel Chu achieved two quotas but had no running mate to pull through.

I think they could achieve a lot if things go their way. Big IF.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

I think going from 2 seats to 12 seats is a bit more than doubling.

They have also achieved a good number of seats on DCC, in fact enough to now hold the Lord Mayor of Dublin, and the Mansion House. The Green Party have 10 councillors, equal to FF, and could have had another one as Councillor Hazel Chu achieved two quotas but had no running mate to pull through.

I think they could achieve a lot if things go their way. Big IF.

True! I was comparing to the most seats they had ever held in the past which I believe was 6 (could be wrong about that tho). But yes, massive gains either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Should crash helmets for motorists be a legal requirement?

If you believe in helmets to reduce head injuries, surely you would start with where the vast majority of head injuries happen, even with seat belts and air bags etc - in cars, not on bikes?

So Andrew, this is your response when you're presented with facts that dispel your notion that it's not safer for cyclists to wear helmets?

Seriously Andrew?

Read the link again Andrew and have a chat with yourself.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/collisions-with-cars-only-account-for-30-of-cycling-injuries-in-ireland-1005536.html

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

So Andrew, this is your response when you're presented with facts that dispel your notion that it's not safer for cyclists to wear helmets?

Seriously Andrew?

Read the link again Andrew and have a chat with yourself.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/collisions-with-cars-only-account-for-30-of-cycling-injuries-in-ireland-1005536.html

I thought I was chatting with you.

Why would you focus in solely on cycling to benefit from helmets? Surely if you really believe in helmets to reduce head injuries, then you would be wearing a crash helmet yourself in the car, given that vastly more head injuries happen in cars than on bikes?

On the broader issue of road widening, here's a good explanation

https://twitter.com/OConnorOisin/status/1277993816398745602?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I thought I was chatting with you.

Why would you focus in solely on cycling to benefit from helmets? Surely if you really believe in helmets to reduce head injuries, then you would be wearing a crash helmet yourself in the car, given that vastly more head injuries happen in cars than on bikes?

I already told you I wear a seat belt in my car and I'm also surrounded by airbags in case the unfortunate should occur.

Also the structure of the car would afford protection in itself.

Why are you trying to deflect away from the point of discussion?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I already told you I wear a seat belt in my car and I'm also surrounded by airbags in case the unfortunate should occur.

Also the structure of the car would afford protection in itself.

Why are you trying to deflect away from the point of discussion?

And I told you that vastly more head injuries happen in cars than on bikes - so it looks those protections you mention aren't quite up to scratch.

Why wouldn't you wear a crash helmet in the car yourself?

NO

Why do so many people think that EVERYTHING is specifically about them? is it a boomer generational thing? is it a culchie thing? is it both?

welcome top planet earth

• Advertisement

tom1ie wrote: »
    Interesting post. Why do you say the grid isn’t in great shape?

I drive quite a bit, I notice things, trees over growing powerlines, lopsided poles, I've experienced power cuts more frequently, other people I've talked to have mentioned the same,

Election somewhere between 3 months and 2 years, Green party will be a sh1t stain in history by then

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

There is something seriously wrong with this country if we have the likes of Eamon Ryan as Minister for Transport. How on earth was that allowed to happen. The only scenario worse than that is to make him Taoiseach.

cournioni wrote: »
    There is something seriously wrong with this country if we have the likes of Eamon Ryan as Minister for Transport. How on earth was that allowed to happen. The only scenario worse than that is to make him Taoiseach.

Greens got in on SF surplus, voters didn't want to give their votes to FG or FF and thought we'll give it to the local idiot, he/she/it is harmless, know for again idiots are easily swayed, second hand Nissan Leaf and a new bell for the bicycle

Rural decline is because of no public transport. Example Is the train out to Clonee/Dunboyne/m3 parkway. Now these Villages are hardly miles from Dublin but decent example. As soon as train was announced the investment into both in terms of housing, and then amenities was huge. You struggle to buy a house now as they get snapped up because you can jump on a train straight into Dublin

Do the train line right out to Navan and see how many more villages town suddenly boom

Cars are not the answer to regenerate outside Dublin, trains are

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement