Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit unions in Dublin

• 28-06-2020 1:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I am originally from the wee north and had a credit union account since childhood on my local community, very rural small area. Living in Dublin now 2.5 years.

Happy enough with AIB - have Revolut too but only use it for abroad and transferring money from AIB to my AIB account in the north. (Formerly first trust).

Are your credit unions up to date / modernized down here? I want to join one if that’s the case, and I’ll shut down my old account on the north.

The only reason I still have it, and send €100 into each month is because when you want money out you have to go and physically get it in person, or ring them up in advance to let them know you need money out. I think they do some other old fashioned form like a Cheque or a bank transfer but the whole process is cumbersome. It’s an absolute pain as I don’t live there anymore - usually involves having to give my mother authority to go over and take out the cash, then she transfers me the money.

It’s has its pros- the money lays there dormant and sometimes over the year builds up for a nice rainy day fund or for a holiday once a year.

However, I think it’s more sentiment than anything that I support my local hometown CU by keeping money in it.

Are your CU’s down here anything like banks, have they phone apps, online banking etc? Mine has nothing of the sort. I even have to ring up to ask for my account balance!

If they are - I’m living in Dublin 15, Ashtown / Cabra area. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Are your CU’s down here anything like banks, have they phone apps, online banking etc? Mine has nothing of the sort. I even have to ring up to ask for my account balance!

If they are - I’m living in Dublin 15, Ashtown / Cabra area. Any recommendations?

Yes, a lot of them have internet banking and some of them are rolling out current accounts but the first thing you'll have to figure out is which CU will take you as a member, then check out their services. Solvency and reserves requirements imnposed by our Central Bank has led to a significant number of mergers so most CUs down here are now of a size that they can roll out modern banking services.

Here's a link to Cabra CU ... https://www.cabracu.ie/

To save time, I'd ring them, give your address and ask if you're in their catchment area. If you're not, they will tell you which nearby CU you can apply to join.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

coylemj wrote: »
    Yes, a lot of them have internet banking and some of them are rolling out current accounts but the first thing you'll have to figure out is which CU will take you as a member, then check out their services. Solvency and reserves requirements imnposed by our Central Bank has led to a significant number of mergers so most CUs down here are now of a size that they can roll out modern banking services.

Here's a link to Cabra CU ... https://www.cabracu.ie/

To save time, I'd ring them, give your address and ask if you're in their catchment area. If you're not, they will tell you which nearby CU you can apply to join.

Thanks for that :)

Just from doing a quick search that does seem to be a thing down here - merged/multiple community credit unions?

Will look into them, wondering the bigger ones offer more benefits than the smaller..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Just from doing a quick search that does seem to be a thing down here - merged/multiple community credit unions?

Will look into them, wondering the bigger ones offer more benefits than the smaller..

have a look at the interest rates for loans in each one as well (just incase you ever need one) as they can vary from each CU and you woulnt want to be in one with a shocking rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Many smaller CU have amalgamated or merged.

Note that you can't "shop around", you join the CU that covers where you live.

Unless through your job you could join an occupational CU, like TUI CU or Garda CU.

• Advertisement

Thanks for pointing out the bit about the loans.

My two local CU's in my area I am eligible for appear to be "Community Credit Union" - 4 branches, 1 in Castleknock, 2 in Cabra and 1 in Blanch Centre
    Other is Blanchardstown Credit Union serving all of D15

Blanch CU looks to have better rates at around 9-10% whereas CCU are 12% on some loans.

They also have a better website and appear to offer more..plus better opening hours, will go with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Thanks for pointing out the bit about the loans.

My two local CU's in my area I am eligible for appear to be "Community Credit Union" - 4 branches, 1 in Castleknock, 2 in Cabra and 1 in Blanch Centre
    Other is Blanchardstown Credit Union serving all of D15

Blanch CU looks to have better rates at around 9-10% whereas CCU are 12% on some loans.

They also have a better website and appear to offer more..plus better opening hours, will go with them!

also you may be elegible to join one near your workplace as you work in their common bond area

Advertisement