Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NWCI complains that only 4 in 15 ministers are women

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Because they are the National Women's Council...a taxpayer funded lobby group for women to pressure the government of the day for as many privileges for women as is humanely possible....they made all the political parties sign up to the feminist manifesto before the last election.

They know full well it doesn't matter a jot how many women get elected....

I'd say the toughest part of their day is trying to keep a straight face!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Should we not be appointing people based on ability rather than gender. Gender is arbitrary as a person's hair or eye colour.

So why lock women out of the boys club because of it?

Why is it ok to question a majority male ministerial cabinet but not ok to question a majority female senate?

That wouldn't fit the victimhood narrative. The concept of meritocracy needn't apply either.

That wouldn't fit the victimhood narrative. The concept of meritocracy needn't apply either.
    You think Michael Martin is tsaoiseach on merit?

You think Simon Harris was minister for health on merit NOW minister for higher education? A college drop out?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/nine-of-taoiseach-s-11-seanad-appointees-are-women-1.4290681?mode=amp

Why is it ok to question a majority male ministerial cabinet but not ok to question a majority female senate?
    Nine of the Taoiseach's senators are women precisely because the state of women's representation is so pathetic.

It doesnt even come close to approaching a statistically normal representation of women in the workplace.

Eight out of 10 TDs in the Dail are now men. That is an absolutely shocking indictment of the voting behaviours of Irish people, and the social structures which we have created to deprive ourselves of a significant amount of human talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dammo

OP, were a lot of your teachers women?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

So why is it ok to ridicule a male majority cabinet but not ok to question a female majority senate?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Their position is less about the number of ministers than the inadequate number of candidates, according to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

4 out of 15 positions isn't "locked out".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Once again this private sector club is presented in the media as being a state body...

• Advertisement

Nine of the Taoiseach's senators are women precisely because the state of women's representation is so pathetic.

It doesnt even come close to approaching a statistically normal representation of women in politics.

Eight out of 10 TDs in the Dail are now men. That is an absolutely shockomg indictment of the voting behaviours of Irish people, and the social structures which we have created to deprive ourselves of a significant amount of human talent.

If you want to live in a society where people are forced to vote in a specific way, feel free to defect into North Korea.

So why is it ok to ridicule a male majority cabinet but not ok to question a female majority senate?

Have you observed the general quality of these people?

I am speaking both men and women here.

Stephen Donnelly is now minister for health.

These people are not chosen on merit.

Hazel Chu has not had to debit her relevant experience of late she has had to debate whether or she is Irish and whether or not its ok for an Asian person to be mayor. Which would insinuate that for some people being a white person might be very important to their voting decision.

Please don't tell me Joan Burton was put there on MERIT. She towed the party line.

Its NOT a meritocracy. And if it is going to be nepotistic we may as well go for the fairest nepotism we can.

Politics is not based on merit. But if you are going to have something entirely based on nepotism go for the fairest brand of over privileged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Women don't vote for women candidates. It's simple as that. Every party signed up to gender quotas, often male candidates who did better at conventions where not selected because of this quota.

Then the general election comes along and people vote based on ability..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Here lads , you should know by now your not allowed question the narrative, just shutup and take your medicine.

Dont ask why nobody raises issues with

1. Huge over representation of Women at Primary Teaching level in the past 15 years or more . No campaign to get more men involved. Let women have the cushy few months off for the summer ,

2. Huge over representation of Women in Healthcare & Nursing yet no campaign to get more men involved.

3. Women only Professorships in fields where by their own choice women dont pick them . For example engineering if 90% of students are male then unfortunately its likely 90% of professors are male. Merit should be everything we are ploughing money into STEM subjects for women and they still dont pick them in large numbers.

4. Men literally cant pick childcare as a profession for fear they will be called a Pedophile by Women. There was a case in Cork recently of a third level educated male childcare professional working in a creche getting called a Pedo by a woman collecting her child from care, who called him a weirdo for picking it as a profession. Yet not a noise made about it.

Gender Quotas are not the solution in any area - Just ensure equality of access and let people follow their own path in life. Dont consider it irregular if men like to choose certain professions and women choose others. Just ensure all people are treated fair.

Hazel Chu has not had to debit her relevant experience of late she has had to debate whether or she is Irish and whether or not its ok for an Asian person to be mayor. Which would insinuate that for some people being a white person might be very important to their voting decision.

Please don't tell me Joan Burton was put there on MERIT. She towed the party line.

Its NOT a meritocracy. And if it is going to be nepotistic we may as well go for the fairest nepotism we can.

Politics is not based on merit. But if you are going to have something entirely based on nepotism go for the fairest brand of over privileged.

Then based on that reasoning, should we aim to have 4% Protestants, 1% Muslims, 10% non-religious, some disabled people, some brown eyed people, some green eyed, some Jews.... All of those are as arbitrary as ridiculous gender quotas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Eight out of 10 TDs in the Dail are now men. That is an absolutely shockomg indictment of the voting behaviours of Irish people, and the social structures which we have created to deprive ourselves of a significant amount of human talent.

Must admit I never checked. Mostly what I think about becoming a politician is where did it all go wrong for them? What a life. But anyway on the point of the shocking indictment of the voting behaviour of the Irish people I presume the indictment falls equally on the male and female voters. I cannot get voter turnout numbers broken down by sex on the google but it appears that when it comes to European elections men and women turn out about equally in number in Ireland so I am going to hazard a guess that women turn out at Irish national elections freely and vote freely as they wish. People like who they like. People vote for who they like. The mystery to me is how anyone ever finds anyone they like on a ballot paper. I find it a futile exercise in using my mandate to desperately try and keep out the worst morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Here lads , you should know by now your not allowed question the narrative, just shutup and take your medicine.

Dont ask why nobody raises issues with

1. Huge over representation of Women at Primary Teaching level in the past 15 years or more . No campaign to get more men involved. Let women have the cushy few months off for the summer.
    They've been aware of this for a long time and it's not for the want of trying. Lots of reasons for this from negative perceptions of the job to opportunities elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

51% of the electorate is female, and the fact that the majority of them chose to vote for male candidates is a credit to their intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭davetherave

162 of the 531 candidates in the general election were females. 30.5%

36 of the 160 elected TD's are female. 22.5%

4 of 15 ministers is 26.6%

That seems proportional to the number of candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

is_that_so wrote: »
    They've been aware of this for a long time and it's not for the want of trying. Lots of reasons for this from negative perceptions of the job to opportunities elsewhere.
    Its sounds like lots of studies but very few actions. Are there male only events that demonstrate what a great area it is ?

Look at the lengths we are going to trying to get Women into STEM areas. There is everything from scholarships to huge quantities of local events aimed at women only such as the IWISH events and plenty of events by individual colleges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Paulzx

. That is an absolutely shockomg indictment of the voting behaviours of Irish people.

Its ok to insinuate the male voters are cabbages but please don't include the 50% of the electorate that are female. That's not allowed

#female voters matter

I have a science degree in a niche area.
    There was 1 girl and 11 boys in my college course.

The CAO application process is as blind as Stevie Wonder. What's stopping girls from applying?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I look forward to NWCI and its' supporters campaigning for women to take 50% of jobs on building sites.

We're all mad for equality, aren't we? :rolleyes:

If you want to live in a society where people are forced to vote in a specific way, feel free to defect into North Korea.
    I can only assume that you are a fellow feminist and you know exactly how ridiculous this sounds.

The point is that there is obviously a problem when 80 per-cent of our elected representatives are male. I am not for a moment absolving women from their answerability here, either; they also live in a free democracy and of course, should focus on changing the social barriers that exist for women who wish to enter politics.

Think about the talent we are losing when 50% of the population seems to feel inhibited from taking a role of political leadership, despite women being well-represented in management, business and administration. You don't even have to be a feminist to acknowledge this problem, just as a matter of practicality, this loss of talent is insane.

Edit: I've just realised that this thread has been moved to a forum which is notoriously awful, so you probably are wasting your time replying to this. I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

biko wrote: »
    4 out of 15 positions isn't "locked out".

Agreed, if 2/10 TDs are women, despite there being quotas for election candidates, then 4/15 is an over representation of women TDs as ministers. What are the equality agency going to do to bring this down to a more equal and proportionately representative level of 3/15???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mouldybiscuits

It doesnt even come close to approaching a statistically normal representation of women in politics.

Maybe men are more likely to pursue a career in politics or are seen by the public as more likely to be better leaders. Maybe because of the differences between men and women men are more likely to succeed at some things and women are more likely to succeed at other things. It seems ridiculous to introduce quotas because then people are actually being discriminated against. Most sewerage workers are also men, should we introduce a quota there too? We also need more female carpenters, plumbers and builders. More men need to be encouraged to become primary childminders while the women go to work on the building sites under the new quotas. I'm all for equal rights for everyone. Gender should not be relevent regarding job opportunities, otherwise that's not fair and equal treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭davetherave

Should Minister for Justice have been a member of An Garda Siochana in a previous life?

Does the Minister for Health need to be a doctor, or a nurse, or a big cheese in the HSE?

Does the Minister for Defence need to know his or her section battle drills? Or have completed their Command and Staff Course in the Military College in the Curragh? No, it would have been nice if Cathal Berry had gotten the nod for Defence on account of him having gone through the system and actually knowing what it is like but a minister is a policy maker.

I've been in the Defence Forces for 12 years. I can hit a target 38 times out of 40 from varying distances from 300 to 100 metres. I can do an apropriate number of push-ups and sit-ups and run 3.2km in an apropiate time for my age and gender to be deemed "Fit". I have the neccessary skills, training, and confidence in myself to lead a team of 9 guys and girls through an assault on a postition.

Does that mean you think I'm over qualified for the role of Minister for Defence and Foreign Affairs?

If a 50% gender quotas becomes enforced, hopefully they'll make it so both genders have to be represented.

If the quota only protects women then there's nothing to stop the pendulum swinging and the Dáil being 75% women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

You think Michael Martin is tsaoiseach on merit?

You think Simon Harris was minister for health on merit NOW minister for higher education? A college drop out?

I think you'll find gender and skin colour reigns supreme in the old boys club. Not merit or qualification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Paulzx

If a 50% gender quotas becomes enforced, hopefully they'll make it so both genders have to be represented.

If the quota only protects women then there's nothing to stop the pendulum swinging and the Dáil being 75% women.

There's no issue with the Dail being 75% women. Once it's decided by the electorate in a demoratic election that hasn't been engineered by self interested lobby groups like the National Womens Council.

Advertisement