Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a New Home - Should We Sell or Rent Out Existing Properties

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Keeping the properties in case there’s relationship problems is not why we want to keep them!!
    What’s PPR? Are we subject to capital gains tax on the properties if we sell now?

I haven't been online and see the PPR and CGT items have been explained :)
    I was being flippant in relation to someone elses comment about having the properties as back up in case something went wrong as a couple. For me the biggest issue is that the longer you rent out a property to a particular tenant for the longer it takes to regain control of the property if you need it either to live in, or to sell or to do whatever it is you want to do with it down the line.
    I seriously think that an individual needs to have a particular appetite for being a landlord because its not as easy as some people seem to think. If I were considering keeping the properties though, I would try put them both on long term let to the council as one of their schemes in particular returns the property to you in good condition, and you dont have the worry of chasing tenants for rent. Downside is that they only pay 80% of market rent and you agree to hand over the property to them for 10 years (I think).

Advertisement