Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen Donnelly - Minister for Health

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Term limits for TDs might help that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

She's well in with the female political media brigade who won't hesitate to parrot any criticisms that she makes and won't highlight her fence sitting (which she pathetically tried to defend in the Dáil last night).

Furthermore, nowadays health appears to be all about womens' innards so Baldy is on a hiding to nothing.

What an ignorant comment considering woman have died of cervical cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

He did a Q&A on Boards back in 2011. Back when everyone thought he was the second coming of Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭limitedIQ

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Or the cleverest one of them all..

Yeah, like do people think you are born with a political allegiance and are not allowed to change your mind or beliefs for the rest of your life.

He did a Q&A on Boards back in 2011. Back when everyone thought he was the second coming of Jesus

I’d say that’ll be gone soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

mariaalice wrote: »
    What an ignorant comment considering woman have died of cervical cancer.

What is that in reference to? I presume you’ve read this independent external report from start to finish?

https://assets.gov.ie/42976/ede300579d8445a8bb64474e39e7d0c0.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Maybe he'll come back and do an AMA :p

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Skyfloater

Jeez, this is a depressing thread. Everyone wants him to fail just so they can say "told you so".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,523 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think SD said today that he wanted to speed up the implementation of Slainte Care, Roisin Shorthall will be delighted. That's the long term plan to be implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,775 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He's a spoofer

Aren't they all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

He talks a good game and has an answer for everything so time for action now

And every answer begins with a patronising "So...." Sign of a bullshitter, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Skyfloater wrote: »
    Jeez, this is a depressing thread. Everyone wants him to fail just so they can say "told you so".

This, so this.

The government have been in office mere hours and we are already see the tsunami of cynicism and negativity from all quarters.

Maybe that was the attitude that held us back being freed from the British for so long?

Skyfloater wrote: »

I don't thing anyone wished him ill, I don't anyway but he has put himself forward as having some if not all the answers, he has also contradicted himself in two different interviews.

If anyone puts themselves out as having all or some of the answers they need to be very careful.

I do thing there is a possibility he could benefit from the benine headwind of them all aggreing with Sláintecare and that would be luck rather that ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,409 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Water John wrote: »
    I think SD said today that he wanted to speed up the implementation of Slainte Care, Roisin Shorthall will be delighted. That's the long term plan to be implemented.

Define Slaintecare.

He also got a very benign interview on RTE Radio yesterday, he is on record as saying nurses are adequately paid for example and was not questioned about this.

Not getting into the issues of much nurses are paid, as that is not what the thread is about plus it seems to induce foaming at the mouth rage in some posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'm prepared to give him a chance. Surprised to see people go on about his lack of integrity when he predecessor wasnt exactly Honest John.

Its probably the worst ministry to get, but we've had 4 years of Harris so hopefully it cant get any worse.

keano_afc wrote: »
    I'm prepared to give him a chance. Surprised to see people go on about his lack of integrity when he predecessor wasnt exactly Honest John.

Its probably the worst ministry to get, but we've had 4 years of Harris so hopefully it cant get any worse.

Very low bar, their all a bit of spoofer so this one cant be any worse than the last spoofre.

The general consensus is that Simon Harris handled COVID 19 very well so he has bowed out on a bit of high.

We will see how Simon Donnelly get on as he hasn't had the chance to do anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Very low bar, their all a bit of spoofer so this one cant be any worse than the last spoofre.

The general condenses is that Simon Harris handled COVID 19 very well so he has bowed out on a bit of high.

We will see how Simon Donnelly get on as he hasn't had the chance to do anything yet.

The bar in health has been low for a long time.

I wouldn't agree that Harris handled Covid well, most of the well wishes towards him seem to be for his about-turn on abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ah health, a complicated mess, some good, some bad decisions, overall, not much change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

He was on Newstalk this morning and suggested that there will be a need to get diagnostic equipment operatiing 24/7.

Unions backs will be up already...

He is, of course, correct though.

To maximise the value of having this equipment required 24/7 365 operation..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

He is a td that has always said some intelligent things in debates.

When he joined fianna fail expected him to get a ministerial role sooner or later.

I hope he can conduct himself with that intelligence showing going forward in his ministerial career.

I'm not expecting massive progress though. The hse is the hse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

mikep wrote: »
    He was on Newstalk this morning and suggested that there will be a need to get diagnostic equipment operatiing 24/7.

Yes, he is 100% correct. Indeed this coalition may be what is needed to bring the Unions to heel and actually reform outdated work practices fit for the 21st Century.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

That's a good step.

My father had two stays in hospital for over a week last year. During both stays he was waiting over a week for scans ordered.

During the second stay he was released after a scan showing no problems and was told for the last week of his stay he could go once they got a scan result back.

It's not just waiting lists but moving people out of inpatient stays asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,409 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yeah...no.

Broadly and in the most ambiguous language, piling every aspirational healthcare improvement you can think of into a document isn't a plan.

Hell, the thing hasn't even been costed in four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

Sly, cunning and self serving Stephen Donnelly. Independent - Social Democrat - Fianna Fail - ?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

a mechanical engineer who got elected on the 16th count and has said in the past "nurses are paid enough".........fcuk sake

I despise this uneducated thought process that some posters on this forum have. It does not matter in the slightest what count a politician gets voted in on.

Naturally enough some constituencies have more candidates running than others, and will take more than a couple of counts for votes to be transferred and TD’s elected. Being elected on the first count doesn’t somehow make a politician superior or more effective. Being elected is being elected, end of.

As for Donnelly, he hasn't been shown to be a man of his word thus far, however we will should give him an honest chance as Minister before casting judgement on his performance.

Do private hospitals or the likes of Affidea operate 24 hours a day 365 days a year be interesting to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

Do private hospitals or the likes of Affidea operate 24 hours a day 365 days a year be interesting to know.

I don't know that but he suggested it was so..

During the waterford cath lab rigmarole I was checking other countries services and many operate at least twice as long as we do here..

I am just thinking along the lines of what happens in industry where generally if megabucks are sent on equipment running time is maximised therefore operated as much as possible to get value for money..

I guess I see the problem though as value for money is probably an alien concept to the HSE..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I can't understand the vitriol Donnelly gets at all.
    I wouldn't vote FF but he obviously only joined them after he reached an ideological impasse with Shortall and Murphy over what kind of party the SDs would be. Looking at how the party has developed since I suspect he was right not to stick with it. He got into politics as an outsider bringing real world talent and experience to a political scene dominated by primary school teachers, publicans and dynasties, at a time when the country and its politics in particular were bankrupt in every way. He tried being an independent, he tried forming a new party and then he finally joined FF as the best vehicle for his abilities.
    If there's any portfolio that needs a management consultant it's the HSE, I wish him well.

Advertisement