Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen Donnelly - Minister for Health

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Wait until he has to take on the nursing unions over something or other down the road!

If and when it comes, I'll be backing him 100% - and I can't stand him!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jams100

Trust Vinny B to show Stephen for what he is: an opportunist and careerist TD. Wouldn't at all be surprised if he didn't get elected during next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

jams100 wrote: »
    Trust Vinny B to show Stephen for what he is: an opportunist and careerist TD. Wouldn't at all be surprised if he didn't get elected during next election.

He's actually making Harris look very good right now. And he was a man who caused a govt to collapse.

Taking the piss out of Donnelly now on de laveline as we speak. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

I am so glad he left the Social Democrats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Taking the piss out of Donnelly now on de laveline as we speak. .
    so to speak

I am so glad he left the Social Democrats

They dodged a bullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Fann Linn wrote: »
    He's actually making Harris look very good right now. And he was a man who caused a govt to collapse.

Donnelly is completely out of his depth, but Vincent Browne is a complete gobsh!te. You only get things done by becoming a Minister. Anyone can have a glorious career in the Dail as a sideline hurler, but how many backbenchers or loudmouth opposition spokespersons go down in history for having achieved anything other than whinging?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jams100

blanch152 wrote: »
    Donnelly is completely out of his depth, but Vincent Browne is a complete gobsh!te. You only get things done by becoming a Minister. Anyone can have a glorious career in the Dail as a sideline hurler, but how many backbenchers or loudmouth opposition spokespersons go down in history for having achieved anything other than whinging?

Joe Higgins, Pearse Doherty, Michael Healy Rae? Granted they mightn't be the best examples but the idea that you can only get things done by becoming a minister is BS. David Norris is another one, granted he was/is a senator and not a TD.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,012 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

blanch152 wrote: »

Tony Gregory got a lot of things done in his area.
    Donnelly is a clown though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Well to be honest considering how many BAME people work in our health service and yet none of them were picked for the role, I do think the old boys club played a sizeable role.

Anyone who was interested in the role should at least try to get elected as a TD first.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    Well to be honest considering how many BAME people work in our health service and yet none of them were picked for the role, I do think the old boys club played a sizeable role.
    He wanted the job as did Paul Reid as head of the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

donaghs wrote: »
    Anyone who was interested in the role should at least try to get elected as a TD first.
    Only the Taoiseach, Tánaiste and Minister for Finance have to be elected TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

is_that_so wrote: »
    Only the Taoiseach, Tánaiste and Minister for Finance have to be elected TDs.

Fair enough. But if you really want the job...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭RickDeckard

jams100 wrote: »

God Damn, I miss Vinny B

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Spoofer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

When he denies taking the soup on the basis that he did not do it to get a ministerial position you know he is on the high road to success.

The best politicians are in it for the long hall. My gut says he is a politician.

Don't laugh if he is running for president in 30 years.

I have a hunch he could do something right, I am not going for pints with him or anything like it, but I reckon he has a set of cojones and good luck to him.

The concept that he is some sort of a turncoat is facile, it takes balls to change direction or change things up, too may independents are happy enough to sit and crank, at least he is trying to put himself in a position where he can influence and manoeuvre change, the dude is a politician, let him roll. I would rather a person who is proactive than a crank sitting on a fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    When he denies taking the soup on the basis that he did not do it to get a ministerial position you know he is on the high road to success.

The best politicians are in it for the long hall. My gut says he is a politician.

I have a hunch he could do something right, I am not going for pints with him or anything like it, but I reckon he has a set of cojones and good luck to him.

The concept that he is some sort of a turncoat is facile, it takes balls to change direction or change things up, too may independents are happy enough to sit and crank, at least he is trying to put himself in a position where he can influence and manoeuvre change, the dude is a politician, let him roll. I would rather a person who is proactive than a crank sitting on a fence.

Riiiiiight...

The only one coming across badly in that video is Browne, an ignorant boor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, but his performance as Minister for Health has been abysmal so far.

• Advertisement

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    I was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, but his performance as Minister for Health has been abysmal so far.

Name me one minister for health that ever did a good job of things... just one.

My point is that he has the balls to change things up and try something. He is not a stooge imo. FFS he only in the job a wet summer and your out with the big adjectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Still better then Harris

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What are you expecting from the man in his first couple months in a ridiculously challenging and complex and convoluted portfolio?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Name me one minister for health that ever did a good job of things... just one.

My point is that he has the balls to change things up and try something. He is not a stooge imo. FFS he only in the job a wet summer and your out with the big adjectives.

Simon Harris, his immediate predecessor, performed better.
    I agree it's early to tell. And I had high hopes for Donnelly. I'll happily eat my words if he performs better in the long run.
    But a few months of a crisis is like years of normal time for judging performance.
    Since lockdown ended we've been snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and he's been the Minister responsible for a lot of that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

****e job, God couldn't even sort it at this stage

Simon Harris, his immediate predecessor, performed better.
    I agree it's early to tell. And I had high hopes for Donnelly. I'll happily eat my words if he performs better in the long run.
    But a few months of a crisis is like years of normal time for judging performance.
    Since lockdown ended we've been snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and he's been the Minister responsible for a lot of that time.

The health portfolio is a total shambles at the best of times, give him a break. There is a global pandemic on the go, in case you didn't notice.

At the end of the day his job will be judged on how well his SPAD's and PR team spin things to the media. The HSE and the Dept of Health will still be run as corruptly as ever by a gang of unscrupulous chunts who should be ashamed of themselves.

It is the pen pushers that are the problem, not any minister given the political "hospital pass" ( pun intended ) that is the department of health.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone see the video of Stephen Donnellys new press officer telling the media that they could not ask hm questions on the golf dinner. Luckily the media just ignored her and went ahead and asked the questions they wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,600 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Anyone see the video of Stephen Donnellys new press officer telling the media that they could not ask hm questions on the golf dinner. Luckily the media just ignored her and went ahead and asked the questions they wanted to.

Yep, it was like he asked his mammy to stand up to the mean people.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Orange Tiny Terror

The minister for health is an egg, we should not have eggs in government

• Advertisement

The minister for health is an egg, we should not have eggs in government

#baldlivesmatter

Advertisement