Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Provision to be Abolished

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Don't forget blaming the population for all being big nasty racists when the inevitable far right party becomes mainstream.

I keep hearing on boards a "far right" anti immigration party has no place in Ireland as the public has no appetite for it. Well by God they seem to be doing everything they can to lay the foundations for it

Of course the same was uttered across the UK and Europe and we've seen the results of that ;)

The scary thing is that saying no to open borders and championing restricted immigration based on skills/needs and genuine, quickly processed and vetted, refugees, is now viewed by many, especially in the MSM, as a "far-right" position.

It's genuinely disturbing.

As foreseen 15 years ago by anyone with half a brain, there are now immigrant ghettos forming. Of course, we were told that in Ireland things would work out differently.

So, when things work out as they have in every other country, badly, what's the next call in the NGO/Multicult playbook?

RACISM!

I definitely foresee major issues politically and socially in the next 10 years. It will not be pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

Gatling wrote: »
    Because we pay for them to make near unlimited appeals to prevent themselves being removed for bogus claims .

Every asylum seeker seems to have their own full multilayered legal teams ,at other people's expenses

You're beginning to get to the root of the issue here.

People complain about the time the process takes, when in fact protection applicants are cash cows for the legal profession. People making money out of human suffering, and the longer the process takes, the more money solicitors and barristers can make.

The applicant, despite public protestations to the contrary, are also happy with this because the longer the process goes on, the more likely they will get permission to remain under the IP Act. (Essentially, the person has no protection need but has been here so long that it is no longer practical to remove them).

It's a game. At great expense to the tax payer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    They're more in need and their situation is much more dire. They need our help for God's sake.

After they get here they have the same needs as anybody who needs a house.

I think Germany put some people up in private houses, it was a volunteer effort. 5000 people could easily be housed in Ireland in that manner, and there's a lot of spare beds in the leafy suburbs. The added advantage are there are greater resources in upper middle class areas, and the upper middle classes in Ireland are, by their own admission, the bestest and least racist people in Ireland and maybe the world.

Until now they havent been able to show this by embracing diversity in their own areas, but this is a mechanism for it to work.

People complain about the time the process takes, when in fact protection applicants are cash cows for the legal profession. People making money out of human suffering, and the longer the process takes, the more money solicitors and barristers can make.

Well we have the first volunteers then.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Gatling wrote: »
    "They also include applicants who may have previously sought international protection in another EU member state."

Traveling safe country to safe country too see who believes the latest sob story

Just like social democrat candidate Ellie kysombe who in her own words 'its almost impossible to claim asylum being completely honest'

Rockbeast2 wrote: »
    The scary thing is that saying no to open borders and championing restricted immigration based on skills/needs and genuine, quickly processed and vetted, refugees, is now viewed by many, especially in the MSM, as a "far-right" position.

It's genuinely disturbing.

As foreseen 15 years ago by anyone with half a brain, there are now immigrant ghettos forming. Of course, we were told that in Ireland things would work out differently.

So, when things work out as they have in every other country, badly, what's the next call in the NGO/Multicult playbook?

RACISM!

I definitely foresee major issues politically and socially in the next 10 years. It will not be pretty.

100%. I made the point last night to someone that abolishing DP would pit asylum seekers in competition with less well off Irish people for limited public housing stock and I was branded a fascist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Just like social democrat candidate Ellie kysombe who in her own words 'its almost impossible to claim asylum being completely honest'

Who's held up as a poster child to prove our system works instead we give her the right to stay along with her family which will be rapidly followed by a citizenship ceremony and a passport

SFC1895 wrote: »
    100%. I made the point last night to someone that abolishing DP would pit asylum seekers in competition with less well off Irish people for limited public housing stock and I was branded a fascist.

It would drive me insane trying to figure out how TF these people's brains work that they are so eager to take in anyone from anywhere and look after them at the expense of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

With all the travel restrictions I wonder how new applicants will get here, not that it stopped them in the past mind you! Chancers the lot of them really, and anyone who denies that is living in a bubble of their own making. All done via Facebook and the likes from those already here telling tales of largesse. Come on over, it's great here!

Refugees are a different matter, they are legal here with that status, it is the chancers that rile me up. Sorry now, but anyone with half a brain can see the trafficking and underworld shyte going on with African countries for example. Oh and before someone gets politely back to me to say that it doesn't matter how well a country is doing if you feel oppressed for some reason, well hey, I feel oppressed sometimes too. I and many others like me are paying a whack of tax to fund this stuff, while our own kids cannot afford to buy a modest house/apartment under their own steam, which is what they were brought up to do.

Does anyone remember the immigration checks at the steps of the planes recently, and something like 98% of Georgians and Albanians were turned back. Worked a treat. Cannot understand how other nationalities didn't get the same treatment, but anyway.

In a time of a housing crisis, giving every asylum seeker their "own door" accommodation is just laughable. But that's what we are brainwashed into thinking is the right thing now.

I reckon the Gov will rent/lease the co living spaces at a discount. Government run, no big wins for private contractors, and all will have their own door.

Six week process for asylum is a win for everyone, no appeals nothing. The new Government will never believe the tiny amount of people who support the asylum process as it exists here. But the Liberal Lefty media has not allowed any debate whatsoever on this issue. That is not right either.

It would drive me insane trying to figure out how TF these people's brains work that they are so eager to take in anyone from anywhere and look after them at the expense of their own.

It's part of their worldview- an upper class Victorian idea of deserving and undeserving poor.

Let's not forget that the NGO sector are part of the industry too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

It's part of their worldview- an upper class Victorian idea of deserving and undeserving poor.

The NGO sector are an industry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Sure the more refugees and migrants the more money for the NGOs and Charities

I remember during the migrant crisis a few years back one of the most ardent supporters on here that Ireland could take tens of thousands was outed as working for one , she was only delighted at her nice little earner helping them fill in forms if I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

The far right position is the one that claims everyone but them wants open borders and they are the only ones who want an effective and fair system.

The far right position is the one that claims everyone but them wants open borders and they are the only ones who want an effective and fair system.

Well, the "position" suggested in my post that you quoted would be an historical centrist position, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What the modern left call a far right position on migration is a traditional left wing one and very much a working class one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

this.

I can't see why anyone would want Direct Provision to continue. Whatever your viewpoint, it's a disaster.

I can't see why anyone would want Direct Provision to continue. Whatever your viewpoint, it's a disaster.

Even most of the abolitionists admit there is a need for some kind of DP-style system in place. When pushed on it.

Apart from that, the system protects the tax payer- alternatives would be 3, 4 times more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So give us a real alternative other than open borders with full access to welfare and social housing immediately on arrival

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

What’s your alternative ? I’m open minded and looking to hear what people are proposing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

FVP3 wrote: »
    it's basically a class war. I don't know how much social housing is available every year but if asylum seekers get the bulk of them then of course people who otherwise would have been on the list will get angry. It is a zero sum game. And if works out then more will come, of course.

Still be interesting to see what will happen. Sinn Fein are going to be in a hard place here, for while their leadership is middle class the base is definitely not.

The Middle Class activist left never have forgiven the working class for not following unquestioningly.

They despise the working class now, while speaking about solidarity and working class politics.

This is across the western world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

What’s your alternative ? I’m open minded and looking to hear what people are proposing

Fly them back to where they came from. They can do an Aer Lingus fanfare a la Covid PPE to celebrate.

I don't know what the best system should be.

But at present it's;

-Enormous waste of tax payer money (going directly into the pockets of political BFFs).

-Inefficient in the whole application process.

I don't think it matters whether you're on the left or right of the political spectrum, I assumed everyone would be in agreement that serious reform was needed.

The problem with making the process more efficient is it will inevitably lead to more people being deported.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

But at present it's;

-Enormous waste of tax payer money (going directly into the pockets of political BFFs).

I don't think it matters whether you're on the left or right of the political spectrum, I assumed everyone would be in agreement that serious reform was needed.

We know this.

So what is the solution? If the solution was easy the politicians would have done it years ago. They LOVE easy fixes.

I hear lots of campaign slogans about abolishing it all the time online.

So what system should replace it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

But at present it's;

You do realise end direct provision means they literally want to end it and have people go straight into houses and dole?

Your position is much closer to don't abolish direct provision than it is to abolish

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The problem with making the process more efficient is it will inevitably lead to more people being deported.

I fail to see that as a problem.

I fail to see that as a problem.
    Yes but the people proposing the end of DP are likely to see that as a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The big problem is that we are silenced when it comes to voicing our views regarding the total shambles that the asylum process is now.

Cannot open our mouths. Not ONE media outlet will accept or even allow debate on the issue anymore, unless it is pro asylum seekers, chancers that they are. It's like the Emperor's new clothes now.

That is fascism if you ask me, but is couched as liberal leftism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Invest significantly in all international ports. A rigorous system of identification and tracking for all non-nationals.

Establish an extra-EU immigration mega center, followed by a fair system of allocation that provides for temporary relocation without any chance of permanent relocation.

Following actual laws already established, a la the Dublin Convention, would greatly help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

The media have to be left-leaning and intolerant of conservative viewpoints to appease the sensibilities of their advertisers, which is their main/ only stream of revenue.

Because no brand can afford to be remotely associated with any contentious subject, especially one that can be misconstrued as bigotry/ racism.

What a mess.

Advertisement