Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Provision to be Abolished

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I thought boards was supposed to be left wing?

The fcuking echoes in hear are horrendous.

Most people in Ireland are left wing , we voted overwhelmingly for gay marriage, abortion etc but all this nonsense about we needing diversity and immigration being forced down our throats is a load of rubbish . We're spending far to much money on keeping people in direct provision. Anyone coming to Ireland should be given a working visa for 2 years , if you can't support yourself after that time , bye bye . No appeals , no nothing . I'd a mate who got deported from Australia , he overstayed his visa. He got in a fight one night and got arrested . He got brought to a detention centre and was shipped back here 3 weeks later . That's the way it should be done here .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Theres no point having a meaningful debate because the snowflake liberals will call racist on anything anti migrant.

If an asylum seeker is refused asylum they get one more appeal and if thats unsuccessful its deportation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

mikeym wrote: »
    Theres no point having a meaningful debate because the snowflake liberals will call racist on anything anti migrant.

If an asylum seeker is refused asylum they get one more appeal and if thats unsuccessful its deportation.

Gov has to face down the NGOs and the Legal Profession for that to happen.

And if they don't bother, or won't do it, well we are all paying for it anyway, apart from the entitled brigade and those on the scratch getting everything free anyway. Most vocal are those who will not have to pay anything for this farce.

Hope Helen McEntee listens up good. Her predecessor Flanagan was a fkn disaster anyway.

But we don't know who is leading the charge on this do we? UN, EU who knows, it is all a bit of a mystery.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    There doesn't have to be a war for people to face violence or persecution unfortunately. Should we really turn ourselves into a fortress of exclusivity?

If that's the case there's 54 other countries in Africa to choose from if they're facing prosecution. Why don't they not go to one of the them ???

Most people in Ireland are left wing , we voted overwhelmingly for gay marriage, abortion etc but all this nonsense about we needing diversity and immigration being forced down our throats is a load of rubbish . We're spending far to much money on keeping people in direct provision. Anyone coming to Ireland should be given a working visa for 2 years , if you can't support yourself after that time , bye bye . No appeals , no nothing . I'd a mate who got deported from Australia , he overstayed his visa. He got in a fight one night and got arrested . He got brought to a detention centre and was shipped back here 3 weeks later . That's the way it should be done here .

Most people in Ireland are generally quite conservative in their views. Middle of the road. Each of the votes you mentioned were nothing to do with being left wing, but rather changing values as a result of the decline in influence of the Catholic Church.

Other than that, I'd agree with you about immigration policies.

• Advertisement

Most people in Ireland are generally quite conservative in their views. Middle of the road. Each of the votes you mentioned were nothing to do with being left wing, but rather changing values as a result of the decline in influence of the Catholic Church.

Gay marriage and abortion are left wing I taught ???

Gay marriage and abortion are left wing I taught ???

Who did you teach :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/new-department-of-children-to-be-responsible-for-direct-provision-1.4290769

The article is quite vague. It gives some suggestions at the end of what will be done to improve conditions at present but it is being replaced with “ending the Direct Provision system and will replace it with a new International Protection accommodation policy, centred on a not for profit approach"

What is International Protection accommodation policy?

Thats great news if they deliver it, say what you want about our current immigration policy but the for profit accommodation system is crap and basically lining the pockets of landlords.

In my local area there are 3 hotels that should be closed down, two were defunct and were bought and opened up as direct provision centres.

We need proper accommodation along with a proper system.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭SFC1895

Calhoun wrote: »
    Thats great news if they deliver it, say what you want about our current immigration policy but the for profit accommodation system is crap and basically lining the pockets of landlords.

In my local area there are 3 hotels that should be closed down, two were defunct and were bought and opened up as direct provision centres.

Lining the pockets of landlords sure, but also saving the taxpayer expense. A State-run or not-for-profit system would have to absorb the additional costs and would have taken from current social spending.

Who did you teach :P

Elon musk was a pupil of mine

• Advertisement

Something has to give here to give those working and trying to get a place of their own a break.

Maybe they should go to Nigeria and enter Dublin Airport claiming asylum.. No bother dear, here is your accommodation, no charge and everything is free for you honey bunch. All you have to do is spend your stipend wisely in the community that is looking after you ok? Everything is free for you, isn't that great. Come on in. But hold on, you are white, what's the story there!

We will ask others no questions for years, and you can claim health care, and so on in the meantime. Welcome to IRELAND. Check out our Facebook and Twitter to get the lowdown for all your family and friends.

Elon musk was a pupil of mine

Was just having a laugh, not much of a pedant anyway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Calhoun wrote: »

That's probably another sticky mess that the politicians will not want to touch.

Where do you build this accommodation?

There's already fights over building rental accomodation, social housing and traveller halting sites etc etc.

The hotels are easier hired and already built.

That's probably another sticky mess that the politicians will not want to touch.

Where do you build this accommodation?

There's already fights over building rental accomodation, social housing and traveller halting sites etc etc.

The hotels are easier hired and already built.

Total scam and everyone knows it, but PC ensures that we are muzzled and therefore we are Controlled to think a certain way. Cannot say what we really think anymore. Every media source in this country won't allow any comment either.

That is the real tragedy now regarding lots of issues that are verboten.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

mikeym wrote: »

If the jack boots fit.....

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

If the jack boots fit.....

So you're a Nazi now , if you don't believe in having uncontrolled immigration... Good one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

biko wrote: »
    No they don't.

Nigeria, Pakistan and Zimbabwe have, between 2001 and 2019, been the most common origin of asylum applicants.
    Can you name a common factor with regard to these three countries, The British again, causing trouble all over the world. Ireland was not a colonial power, we owe nothing to citizens of these three countries. We are only a small country on the world stage, and multiculturalism doesn't need to apply because liberals think it should, by putting ourselves in a position where we have been dictated to by the EU, we have welcomed lots of people in at the expense of our own population. Politicians as usual have no need to upset the easily offended, because they are protected from the negative consequences of multiculturalism, so the ordinary people suffer because of decisions taken by government. This is not by any means a racist county, and most people are trying to get on, but as usual, the lunatics on both sides shout the loudest and make most noise and less sense. Direct provision is awful, but why does the application process take so long to complete for asylum seekers, and why does Ireland have to stand up in the world as if we are some kind of moral crusaders? In Australia, boats are not even allowed to dock, so there is the other side of the argument

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

SFC1895 wrote: »
    Lining the pockets of landlords sure, but also saving the taxpayer expense. A State-run or not-for-profit system would have to absorb the additional costs and would have taken from current social spending.

Maybe then there would be incentive to put regulations in place so that the system doesnt take 9-10 years to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

]No they don't.

Nigeria, Pakistan and Zimbabwe have, between 2001 and 2019, been the most common origin of asylum applicants.
    Can you name a common factor with regard to these three countries, The British again, causing trouble all over the world. Ireland was not a colonial power, we owe nothing to citizens of these three countries. We are only a small country on the world stage, and multiculturalism doesn't need to apply because liberals think it should, by putting ourselves in a position where we have been dictated to by the EU, we have welcomed lots of people in at the expense of our own population. Politicians as usual have no need to upset the easily offended, because they are protected from the negative consequences of multiculturalism, so the ordinary people suffer because of decisions taken by government. This is not by any means a racist county, and most people are trying to get on, but as usual, the lunatics on both sides shout the loudest and make most noise and less sense. Direct provision is awful, but why does the application process take so long to complete for asylum seekers, and why does Ireland have to stand up in the world as if we are some kind of moral crusaders? In Australia, boats are not even allowed to dock, so there is the other side of the argument

Why is it awful?

In the context of your home country being so awful you had to escape to Ireland. Nigeria/Pakistan/Zimbabwe aren't exactly next door.

And that's an honest question. It's a phrase I hear all the time but have rarely seen explained. Getting food water warmth and safety has to be better then the country they were fleeing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

About time too that all voices are heard, not just the leftie communistas with time on their hands.

Yeah you're so oppressed. Muh free speech.

• Advertisement

No they don't.

Can you name a common factor with regard to these three countries, The British again, causing trouble all over the world.

Nigeria's proclamation of independence from British rule on 1 October 1960.

Pakistan gained independence from the British rule on August 14, 1947.

Pakistan gained independence from the British rule on 11 November 1965

Common factor? They've been independent a long time, and what what they done with their independence? nah. Let's not deal with the nasty internal problems and instead pass the buck on to the British,... between 2001 and 2019 no less. Apparently the British are to blame for crap that happens after they no longer control the countries...

It's time to stop tolerating the "colonialisation excuse" for a countrys' failure to prove for its own citizens. You think that blaming the UK is fine, but it's not because collective guilt is the agenda being pushed. The only way to deal with this BS is to point out a nations failures as their own, and the suggestion that refugees should be back fixing their country rather than seeking a better life in another country.

Just drop the guilt trip completely.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I really don't know where so many people get the idea that all refugees are lying and only want to come over and sit on their hole getting welfare. I know quite a few people in Direct Provision, and pretty much all of them started working as soon as they were legally allowed to. You know, serving your food, packing food/equipment, cleaning up after you for very little wages. The jobs plenty of Irish people would never give up their welfare to do.

Are there false claims? Sure there are, and they should be sent home. If the system wasn't a ****ing mess, it wouldn't take 9 months to even get an initial interview. But it's not as easy as saying "Your country isn't at war" and sending them home though. It can be a complex situation for many of them, with racial, religious or sexuality violence aimed at them.

These DP centers make a sickening amount of money while leaving people live an ****e conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I am glad its going to end and be on a non for profit basis. However I am pessimistic about how actually fair any new system will be. I also doubt how efficient the greens will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Why is it awful?

In the context of your home country being so awful you had to escape to Ireland. Nigeria/Pakistan/Zimbabwe aren't exactly next door.

And that's an honest question. It's a phrase I hear all the time but have rarely seen explained. Getting food water warmth and safety has to be better then the country they were fleeing.

So an economic migrant then. Just so we're clear - not fleeing war. If their home countries are so bad, why do the vast majority of asylum seekers who get a spot in one of the DP centres book a holiday back home as soon as they land?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Its scandalous, they can go back on holidays to these countries they apparently cant stay in for fear of their life, commit fraud and crimes and it's not revoked.

And tbh the same conditions should apply to EU citizens, you get temporary welfare support and after that you're going home.
    You commit any crimes you're deported after your sentence.
    I wouldn't move abroad and expect another country's welfare system to fund my life, I'd be booking a flight home once my job ended.

We already have that for EU citizens. If they can't support themselves or become a social welfare burden we can repatriate them. We never do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Corcaigh84 wrote: »
    So an economic migrant then. Just so we're clear - not fleeing war. If their home countries are so bad, why do the vast majority of asylum seekers who get a spot in one of the DP centres book a holiday back home as soon as they land?

Even for an economic migrant, free food, water, shelter and money - why is it so bad?

I have yet to hear an actual alternative that isnt "let everyone in, give them all houses etc"

And I am for skilled immigration

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    There doesn't have to be a war for people to face violence or persecution unfortunately. Should we really turn ourselves into a fortress of exclusivity?

100% yes

We can't do that legally.

Yes we can, anyone that lands from another safe country can be sent directly back. And we have an opt-out clause from taking EU refugees from Nice 2.

The problem with making the process more efficient is it will inevitably lead to more people being deported.

Why is that a problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Every referendum on the issue has proven you incorrect.

Advertisement