Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Provision to be Abolished

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

In September 1996, as Ireland closed the doors of its final Magdalene laundry, another problematic institution was being conceived. It would be called direct provision – a system where the Irish State would outsource accommodation for men and women seeking asylum in Ireland to private contractors.

In his project Exploring Direct Provision, UCD academic Dr Liam Thornton traces the formative stages of direct provision to 1997, when Dermot Ahern, then-minister with responsibility for social welfare, said this new accommodation scheme would dispel the “perception that the social welfare system was in some way attracting asylum seekers to this State”.

In 1991, a total of nine people sought asylum in Ireland, a number which jumped to 3,883 in 1997. This sudden increase caused some ministers to express concern that asylum seekers were entitled to the same welfare supports as the general Irish population. They argued the increase in asylum seekers arriving was directly connected to Ireland’s welfare support. In their view, this needed to be stopped.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/i-live-in-direct-provision-it-s-a-devastating-system-and-it-has-thrown-away-millions-1.4291670

As an aside, as someone who had an auntie put into a Magdalene laundry at the age of fourteen, I am very pissed off at the media’s constant attempt to conflate the asylum situation with it.

Anyway, another pro asylum seeker piece in this weekends IT. No hard questions asked of the asylum seeker. No mention of how many times his claim has been refused and he has appealed. He claims to have fled South Africa due to homophobia. Then says that he was forced to share a room here with a homophobic asylum seeker.

The only solution to direct provision is to bring our level of deportations into line with those in other countries, who refuse dramatically more refugee applications than we do. We have the lowest refusal rate in the entire EU.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/ireland-has-lowest-refusal-rate-of-asylum-applicants-920320.html

What groups like MASI want, and which I suspect they’ll get, is full access to housing and social welfare after an applicant being resident in Ireland with a pending asylum case for 3-6 months.

Which is madness and will create a huge pull factor and the numbers arriving will go back to pre citizenship referendum figures.

"When an asylum seeker is called a welfare scrounger, it is racist."

Err... no it's not. Being racist would mean targeting the asylum seeker because of their race. There's no mention of ethnicity in that sentence.

If someone, who is of sound body and mind, has never worked in the state and has their whole existence subsidised by the state through social welfare and social housing, then they’re a welfare scrounger.

Doesn’t matter their race or nationality.

Newstalk interviewed some asylum seekers living in direct provision. It was not a kind article. The church has a shortage of priests in this country. They need to get in touch with these three as they can all say mass.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/life-risk-choose-asylum-seekers-coming-ireland-1041895?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1594108718
    One woman said: "I'm from Albania originally, and I came here with my husband at first - we had to leave because of the political issues and things like that, the life was getting worse.

"I left my family behind, it's not easy, but when your life is at risk you have to choose one way - so we had to leave.

"It was difficult, political issues, there are always difficult and messed up, you know.

"My husband's life was threatened and we had to decide something.
    "And at that time I found out I was pregnant, so I couldn't raise my child there."

"Actually we didn't choose Ireland, we first chose Iceland - we were in Iceland before coming here.

"And there we claimed asylum, but unfortunately there they didn't accept us.

"Then we had to find another country, and the best one we thought it was Ireland.

This lady fled Albania for some vague reasons. Originally claimed asylum In Iceland, got refused and said to herself she will swap the c for an r and land in Ireland.

Why her claim is even being entertained, is another matter. She picked well on her second roll of the dice.
    Another person explained: "I'm from Zimbabwe, I left my country for political reasons, I was forced to leave I couldn't go back there".

"My life was in danger at the time... it's more because of gender and things like that."

"My mom was here, she came after me - it was difficult".

"I left Zimbabwe and then went to South Africa, and then from South Africa I came straight here to Ireland.

"I came in with an agent, so they organise a fake passport and then I had to come all the way here.

"And you have to get rid of that passport".

This lady fled Zimbabwe to neighbouring South Africa. Presumably she was safe there but she wanted to make sure so travelled another 6,000 miles to Ireland whilst getting rid of her passport on the journey. Sounds legit.
    Another woman said: "I was 14-years-old when I left my country; I had some personal issue.

"And we decided to leave, so now I have five and a half years out of my country before I lived in France with family - my family is still in France - and I came here with my partner because he has an issue with a blood feud in Albania."

Asked why she chose to come to Ireland, she said: "My partner has his brother here for 10 years, so it was better for him to be close to his family".

This lady fled from Albania to France for vague reasons. When in France her partner had an issue with someone in Albania. So of course the next logical step is that they flee France and land in Ireland.

None of these people should be in direct provision. No, they should all be deported. Simple as that.

But of course the chances of them being deported are very slim.
    Just 20% of deportation orders for unsuccessful asylum seekers are estimated to be implemented in Ireland, according to a report published by the Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).

The report, which was produced for the European Migration Network (EMN), said it was impossible to give an exact implementation rate, as some orders might be enforced years after they were issued, but that approximately 80% of deportation judgements were believed to go unimplemented.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/80-of-failed-asylum-seekers-stay-5l5nk52cs

Instead the present government are planning to get rid of direct provision and the many NGOs in the immigration industry will ensure that these people get social housing, welfare, leave to remain, citizenship and be as Irish as us. If you disagree with this publicly you will probably be harassed with a witch hunt headed by loud mouths on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Fully agree with the above post.

The front-guy for MASI Bulelani Mfaco, in my opinion, has an extremely weak case for asylum.

He's claiming on the basis of his sexuality. Anyone who has been to Cape Town (his hometown) will know it's the most gay-friendly city on the continent of Africa. South Africa had rights enshrined for the gay community before we got around to it.

• Advertisement

ELIGIBILITY FOR THE Pandemic Unemployment Payment has now been extended to people living in Direct Provision after they were originally excluded from the scheme.

The payment has been made available this week to people live in Direct Provision centres, as well as applicants for international protection who live outside of the Direct Provision system.

https://www.thejournal.ie/direct-provision-pandemic-unemployment-payment-5168145-Aug2020/?utm_source=shortlink

Nice one for those in DP. Rent covered, three free meals a day, healthcare and all bills taken care of and now €350 a week if out of work due to COVID. Those who are six months in the state are allowed to take up employment, the question is, how many refusals did they receive in that timeframe?

MASI want the payment backdated which would be €7,000 a head. Not too shabby for those we are told live in modern day Magdalene laundries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

"Just 20% of deportation orders for unsuccessful asylum seekers are estimated to be implemented in Ireland, according to a report published by the Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).

The report, which was produced for the European Migration Network (EMN), said it was impossible to give an exact implementation rate, as some orders might be enforced years after they were issued, but that approximately 80% of deportation judgements were believed to go unimplemented."

Why is it only 20 percent are followed through for deportation? what's the rationale?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/direct-provision-pandemic-unemployment-payment-5168145-Aug2020/?utm_source=shortlink

Nice one for those in DP. Rent covered, three free meals a day, healthcare and all bills taken care of and now €350 a week if out of work due to COVID. Those who are six months in the state are allowed to take up employment, the question is, how many refusals did they receive in that timeframe?

MASI want the payment backdated which would be €7,000 a head. Not too shabby for those we are told live in modern day Magdalene laundries.

That comparison drives me bananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

statesaver wrote: »
    That comparison drives me bananas.
    It's a common debate tactic to link two bad things together, something not so well known and something well known.

It serves to help us picture migrants in DP having to work for nothing and being refused to leave, all the while being humiliated like in the movie you probably saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,349 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Got to feel sorry for people unemployed and looking for work but can’t get a cent cause they live with their Partners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The launderies comparison is a pig ignorant insult to those women who found themselves in the Magdalene laundries.

Shame on anyone who uses that comparison.

"When an asylum seeker is called a welfare scrounger, it is racist."

Err... no it's not. Being racist would mean targeting the asylum seeker because of their race. There's no mention of ethnicity in that sentence.

Asylum seekers go into a system where they are dependent on state funding. If that equates to “scrounger” then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

DelaneyIn wrote: »

The whatsapp messages will be hopping to the folks back home with this news that the benefits this soft touch country just got even better.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Fully agree with the above post.

The front-guy for MASI Bulelani Mfaco, in my opinion, has an extremely weak case for asylum.

He's claiming on the basis of his sexuality. Anyone who has been to Cape Town (his hometown) will know it's the most gay-friendly city on the continent of Africa. South Africa had rights enshrined for the gay community before we got around to it.

I’ve been to Cape Town

It’s extremely LGBTI friendly.

On the way from the airport the taxi man turned to me and my business colleague and said

“Hey, you guys gay? There’s a march today and a festival afterwards, do you want to swing by the bars?”

We said no as neither were gay but the point stands - Capetown is almost ludicrously gay friendly - i would go so far as to say it’s the gay capital of sub Saharan Africa from what I saw.

ronano wrote: »
    "Just 20% of deportation orders for unsuccessful asylum seekers are estimated to be implemented in Ireland, according to a report published by the Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).

The report, which was produced for the European Migration Network (EMN), said it was impossible to give an exact implementation rate, as some orders might be enforced years after they were issued, but that approximately 80% of deportation judgements were believed to go unimplemented."

Why is it only 20 percent are followed through for deportation? what's the rationale?

I know a lad in my town who was refused nearly two years ago, has convictions in Ireland(which was likely the grounds for the rejection more than applying the rules)and I saw him in town today... what a process we have.

I'm not voting for any of the main parties next time. They're all allowing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

I know a lad in my town
    Sure you do. Boards.ie - now you're (****e) talkin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's hardly a contentious statement ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I’ve been to Cape Town

It’s extremely LGBTI friendly.

On the way from the airport the taxi man turned to me and my business colleague and said

“Hey, you guys gay? There’s a march today and a festival afterwards, do you want to swing by the bars?”

We said no as neither were gay but the point stands - Capetown is almost ludicrously gay friendly - i would go so far as to say it’s the gay capital of sub Saharan Africa from what I saw.

Yeah but they don't have benefits and entitlements like those that we offer here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Danzy wrote: »
    Something that will benefit buy to let landlords, the class type who are setting Green policy.

They would be a big FG lobby group, consisting of FG members who are also landlords.

You can bet whatever it is the tax payer will be needlessly rode.

Only one in five of deportation orders issues are carried out. I linked to the article in the Sunday Times on the previous page.

It’s a statement of fact. The overwhelming majority of asylum seekers will get to stay. Very few will actually get deported.

It took us millions in legal fees to deport Pamela Itsascam and the great and good in the media all supported her to the very end.

Ireland is not a serious country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

I'm not voting for any of the main parties next time. They're all allowing this.

I have heard this multiple times since the last election, could it be the Irish people are finally waking up?

I dont come on here to lie. I dont personally know him. What I meant was "I know of someone in my town", saw him outside the DP centre today smoking a fag. Nearly two years after receiving his refusal for protection which was around the time he was in prison. So his appeal has kicked on ever since or else he would be gone.

The system is a joke, the stats show it, and I've showed a cut and paste deportation example I know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Is there any way of finding out where all the DP centers are? My local area in Dublin has seen a significant rise of Africans in the area since the Covid restrictions have been eased. I'm not complaining, I just don't understand it, as they seem to be coming out of nowhere. The only logical thing I can think of is that there is new DP center near by, but I can't seem to find any information that confirms my suspicions.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Is there any way of finding out where all the DP centers are? My local area in Dublin has seen a significant rise of Africans in the area since the Covid restrictions have been eased. I'm not complaining, I just don't understand it, as they seem to be coming out of nowhere. The only logical thing I can think of is that there is new DP center near by, but I can't seem to find any information that confirms my suspicions.

Questions need to be asked, but all discussion of said topic is shut down, makes you think

double-speak.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

Danzy wrote: »
    It's hardly a contentious statement ffs.
    Sorry but I'm not the kind of overly credulous rube who believes everything they see online just because it agrees with their prejudices. Anyone can say "I know a lad in my town" with diddly squat to back it up. FFS I can say "I know a lad in my town who assaults immigrants on the regular" but I doubt I'll have the usual cohort rushing to my defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Given that the state's own statistics show that well over 60% of asylum seekers are bogus and shown to be from minute they land, and without counting those who meander for years through appeals system or disappear - from Albania, Georgia, South Africa, Zimbabwe etc, surely now would be good time to expedite the process and start to empty the DP centres onto planes.

Absolute joke that three counties are being closed down due to Covid among illegals, some of who are also working illegally in Naas and other places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Yeah but they don't have benefits and entitlements like those that we offer here.

I don't see what that story had to do with benefits

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

If you put your pregnant wife and small children in a dingy to try and get from a totally safe environment in France to the UK then you are a c**t and should be arrested for domestic abuse and child neglect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

My previous comment was posted and thanked but no one has given an explanation as to why the government are not following through on deportations.

My question was posted to try and understand why once the decision is made it is not followed through on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

ronano wrote: »
    My previous comment was posted and thanked but no one has given an explanation as to why the government are not following through on deportations.

My question was posted to try and understand why once the decision is made it is not followed through on?

I'm not sure what the presented reason or the actual reason is, but it's not just Ireland. Douglas Murray claimed in his book that this is happening in many other European counties too. It does seem that Ireland is worse though, as many countries will deport people once they'd committed a crime, which rarely seems to happen here. We honestly might as well have open borders by legislation, because the current system results in the same outcome regardless of our supposed "laws".

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Advertisement