Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to drink more water when you can't stomach it?

• 28-06-2020 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

Hi, I want to start drinking more water but I hate the taste (or lack thereof).
    ATM I drink 0% sugar Mi Wadi and I would ideally like to cut that out.

Ive never tried fruit in it. What fruit would add the strongest taste?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,646 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I used lemon and/or lime. One of those with some cucumber as well is lovely and refreshing

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Warbeastrior

I used lemon and/or lime. One of those with some cucumber as well is lovely and refreshing

Would it be a noticeable difference? I must try it

Would it be a noticeable difference? I must try it

Yep. I too find it hard to drink water because of its waterness

Yep. I too find it hard to drink water because of its waterness

Great description 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

ice cubes and keep a jug of water in the fridge. any water is way nicer when its cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,258 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I think it's easier to sip water from a bottle with a spout that take mouthfuls from a glass etc.
    So get one of those bottles and add a wedge of lime or lemon or both into them.
    Also, a few mint leaves might be nice either.

To thine own self be true

I think it's easier to sip water from a bottle with a spout that take mouthfuls from a glass etc.
    So get one of those bottles and add a wedge of lime or lemon or both into them.
    Also, a few mint leaves might be nice either.

Yeah mint is a good call. Tried that once or twice too. Mashed it a bit first like I was making a mojito :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Soda water with a bit of lemon, lovely!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm encouraged by how much of a change the fruit does to the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Don't drink tap water. There is a taste and it's unpleasant as well as bad for you. A lot of Irish people drink a lot of black tea as well. Black tea has a fair amount of fluoride in it. So does the tap water, so does your toothpaste and mouthwash. A lot of Irish people are ingesting far too much of it. It's a proven neurotoxin that results in lower IQ and many health problems. It also contains chlorine that kills beneficial gut bacteria as well as harmful bacteria in the water. This has a load of knock on health affects from poor nutrition absorption.

Some in here will probably skoff at this but it's a fact. There's plenty of studies to back it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭stevek93

BloodBath wrote: »
    Don't drink tap water. There is a taste and it's unpleasant as well as bad for you. A lot of Irish people drink a lot of black tea as well. Black tea has a fair amount of fluoride in it. So does the tap water, so does your toothpaste and mouthwash. A lot of Irish people are ingesting far too much of it. It's a proven neurotoxin that results in lower IQ and many health problems. It also contains chlorine that kills beneficial gut bacteria as well as harmful bacteria in the water. This has a load of knock on health affects from poor nutrition absorption.

Some in here will probably skoff at this but it's a fact. There's plenty of studies to back it up.

Our government must be drinking it constantly so!!!

OP you will get used to it I never drank up until a few years ago now it's the only thing I can stomach, anything with fizz in it now I cant bare the taste.

Link me some of them studies that support the above with respect to the level of fluoride in Irish water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭stevek93

Link me some of them studies that support the above with respect to the level of fluoride in Irish water.

I think it is something like 0.6-0.8ppm

It's not just the fluoride in the water. Like I said there's also Chlorine. Do you drink tea as well? Do you rinse your mouth well after brushing your teeth. The mouthwashes even tell you not to rinse your mouth after using them. You don't think you are swallowing a reasonable amount here as well if you don't?

Here's a study with tea using tap water.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/296636052_Risk_Assessment_of_Fluoride_Intake_from_Tea_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland_and_its_Implications_for_Public_Health_and_Water_Fluoridation
    5. Conclusions

A number of conclusions can be drawn from this study. First, the main finding of this study is that tea is the major source of exposure to fluoride in the general population. Second, for both adults and children the total dietary intake of fluoride from tea can exceed the upper tolerable intake limit (UL) atlevels known to cause chronic fluoride intoxication.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

What a load of anti Vaxxer nonsense. Worth a watch:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wReANdzf3b4

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

If you have lemon bee balm growing anywhere near you, I find a bunch of that and a squirt of honey into some warm water with it. Shake it all up to diffuse, absolutely savage. Lemon balm grows absolutely abundantly if left to. Mine is used every day and it's still taking over the garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Did anyone ever look inside a empty teapot?

if it does that to stainless steel, what must it do our insides.
    i drink gallons of it, so i must be fooked.

krissovo wrote: »
    What a load of anti Vaxxer nonsense. Worth a watch:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wReANdzf3b4

You haven't a clue what you're talking about. Ignorance is bliss eh?

There's multiple scientific studies to back up what I'm saying. You're using a youtube video of idiots to back up your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

If you look into the details of some of those studies you can see some red flags.

"This finding was confirmed by a study where groups of children exposed to 8 ppm fluoride in water were found to have lower average IQs, less children attaining high IQ, and more children affected by low IQ.[21] While 8 ppm is much higher than the fluoride level added to water in fluoridation programs (0.7–1.2 ppm), these results are in congruence with previous studies[22] from China that indicate that fluoride may affect IQ at lower levels"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6309358/

Exposing them to 8 times the normal amount of fluoride that's in the water from a flouridation program to show that it had a negative effect is a bit disingenuous. Fairly sure if you exposed kids to 8 times the normal of any other substance it would have a negative effect too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Some in here will probably skoff at this.

Yes - and rightly so!

• Advertisement

If you look into the details of some of those studies you can see some red flags.

"This finding was confirmed by a study where groups of children exposed to 8 ppm fluoride in water were found to have lower average IQs, less children attaining high IQ, and more children affected by low IQ.[21] While 8 ppm is much higher than the fluoride level added to water in fluoridation programs (0.7–1.2 ppm), these results are in congruence with previous studies[22] from China that indicate that fluoride may affect IQ at lower levels"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6309358/

Exposing them to 8 times the normal amount of fluoride that's in the water from a flouridation program to show that it had a negative effect is a bit disingenuous. Fairly sure if you exposed kids to 8 times the normal of any other substance it would have a negative effect too.

If you only count the fluoride from the water. I've pointed out 2 other sources that contribute to excessive amounts of this crap. There are others as well from other food sources. Many people in Ireland are suffering the health consequences of this.

Yes - and rightly so!

Because you are ignorant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

my guy you have gone off the deep end :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I only drink water, and then only a glass a day, with sugar free squash in it. Tesco apple and blackcurrant or supervalus version.
    Otherwise it's tea all the way.

Our tap water is actually perfect. I just don't like the stuff:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Because you are ignorant.

Nope, a scientist.

Nope, a scientist.

In what field? What studies have you done in this area?

Or are you one of these sports scientists who thinks he knows everything because he did a 3-4 year course in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

If you only count the fluoride from the water. I've pointed out 2 other sources that contribute to excessive amounts of this crap. There are others as well from other food sources. Many people in Ireland are suffering the health consequences of this.

When you say many people in Ireland are suffering the health consequences, how many people are effected by it?

There's plenty of evidence casting doubts on the findings of some of those studies linking fluoride to lower IQs but, I'm fairly certain that no matter how much evidence is presented you won't change your belief that water flouridation does more harm than good.

https://www.ada.org/en/publications/ada-news/2019-archive/august/responses-to-fluoride-study-flood-in-from-all-over-the-globe

Stuart Ritchie, Ph.D., a lecturer at King’s College London, summed up his misgivings about the study by saying, “I wouldn’t have much confidence in this finding being robust or replicable.”

Dr. Oliver Jones, associate professor of analytical chemistry at RMIT University in Australia, said that “there is also a lot of variation in the data — which makes drawing firm conclusions/predictions from it difficult. There are also a number of potential confounding factors, including the fact that the water intake was self-reported and, as the authors admit, some of the methods used are not validated.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4815566/

First, the question is not whether community water fluoridation (CWF) reduces IQ, but whether or not total fluoride intake reduces IQ. Broadbent et al. acknowledge that CWF likely represents less than 50% of total fluoride intake. Their study did not determine total fluoride exposure, nor did it simultaneously control for the three sources of fluoride intake: CWF, fluoride supplements, and fluoride toothpaste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,889 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The mouthwashes even tell you not to rinse your mouth after using them.

The reason you're told not to rinse after using mouthwash is to *preserve* the beneficial effect of the fluoride in it for as long as possible. Not because tap water is in some way dangerous *rolly eyes*

Back on topic, OP, infusing your water is a great way to make it more palatable but be very wary of using citrus fruits to do it; if you're sipping water throughout the day rather than drinking it in large goes you're essentially subjecting your teeth to a day-long acid attack. Cucumber or mint are your best bets.

Most of it is not diagnosed. Doctors don't give nutritional advice. They give you medications to treat ailments. They don't find the source of the ailment if it stems from poor nutrition. Most doctors don't know a thing about nutrition or gut bacteria.

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »
    The reason you're told not to rinse after using mouthwash is to *preserve* the beneficial effect of the fluoride in it for as long as possible. Not because tap water is in some way dangerous *rolly eyes*

Back on topic, OP, infusing your water is a great way to make it more palatable but be very wary of using citrus fruits to do it; if you're sipping water throughout the day rather than drinking it in large goes you're essentially subjecting your teeth to a day-long acid attack. Cucumber or mint are your best bets.

There is no beneficial effect to ingesting fluoride. Quite the opposite. There's a whole list of health detriments from ingesting too much of it.

Leaving mouthwash in your mouth is causing you to absorb even more of it.

Many Irish people are ingesting too much of it from multiple sources. Tap water, tea, toothpaste and mouthwash. This is irrefutable.

The Chlorine is proven to also damage the gut bacteria.

Roll your eyes all you want. A lot of Irish people drink a lot of black tea using tap water. I'd assume most people use toothpaste and mouthwash at least twice a day as well. If you think this isn't a problem then you have your head in the sand.

Advertisement