Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to drink more water when you can't stomach it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

BloodBath wrote: »
    Most of it is not diagnosed. Doctors don't give nutritional advice. They give you medications to treat ailments. They don't find the source of the ailment if it stems from poor nutrition. Most doctors don't know a thing about nutrition or gut bacteria.

Can I ask you your opinion on the rollout of 5g across the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Can I ask you your opinion on the rollout of 5g across the world?

Typical attitude of morons. This isn't a conspiracy theory.

Typical attitude of morons. This isn't a conspiracy theory.

I never said it was a conspiracy theory you're reading words that weren't in my post.

You still didn't answer the question either?

I never said it was a conspiracy theory you're reading words that weren't in my post.

You still didn't answer the question either?

Don't play dumb. You know exactly what you are suggesting saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's not just the fluoride in the water. Like I said there's also Chlorine. Do you drink tea as well? Do you rinse your mouth well after brushing your teeth. The mouthwashes even tell you not to rinse your mouth after using them. You don't think you are swallowing a reasonable amount here as well if you don't?

Here's a study with tea using tap water.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/296636052_Risk_Assessment_of_Fluoride_Intake_from_Tea_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland_and_its_Implications_for_Public_Health_and_Water_Fluoridation

https://www.fsai.ie/details.aspx?id=16175

"Based on the results of this study, the FSAI Scientific Committee concluded that there is currently no scientific basis for concerns about the safety of children and adults in Ireland from exposure to fluoride from foods and beverages."

• Advertisement

Don't play dumb. You know exactly what you are suggesting saying that.

I'm not playing dumb the fluoride in the drinking water has reduced my IQ through no fault of my own.

You still haven't answered the question though, are you dodging it for some reason?

Get a grip of yourself OP. Just drink it. Its only water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Get a grip of yourself OP. Just drink it. Its only water.

First world problems, send the OP to a country with no drinking water and will soon think again about what is what.

I'm not playing dumb the fluoride in the drinking water has reduced my IQ through no fault of my own.

You still haven't answered the question though, are you dodging it for some reason?

Haha very good.

I'm dodging it because it has no relevance to this thread. I also don't have an opinion on it.
    https://www.fsai.ie/details.aspx?id=16175

"Based on the results of this study, the FSAI Scientific Committee concluded that there is currently no scientific basis for concerns about the safety of children and adults in Ireland from exposure to fluoride from foods and beverages."

Oh I guess that wraps everything up in a neat little package.

Not gonna spend the day arguing with zealots. Good luck to ye lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

I have no opinion on this flouride stuff, but I believe that in general if you have to use ad hominems as an argument then you don't really know much yourself. Just my two cents.

• Advertisement

Lyan wrote: »
    I have no opinion on this flouride stuff, but I believe that in general if you have to use ad hominems as an argument then you don't really know much yourself. Just my two cents.

Some ad hominems are deserved in fairness.

If it's ok for someone to suggest you are a conspiracy theorist loon for stating facts then it's ok for me to call him a moron in my book.

If it's ok for someone to suggest you are a conspiracy theorist loon for stating facts then it's ok for me to call him a moron in my book.

You're not stating facts though you've listed some studies that have very questionable findings as many academics have found the basis of those studies and methodologies don't stand up to closer scrutiny but you can keep telling yourself that it's an indisputable fact that fluoride causes a reduction in people's IQs

Over 400 studies suggesting fluoride is a neurotoxin that damages the brain and reduces cognitive ability.

https://fluoridealert.org/issues/health/brain/

Oh I guess that wraps everything up in a neat little package.

Not gonna spend the day arguing with zealots. Good luck to ye lads.

Sorry for presenting a study that disagreed with you.

Perhaps you could critique the scientific method of the study and why any you had presented provide a more robust case.

The irony of you calling people zealots.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

I wasn't just addressing you by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

There is no beneficial effect to ingesting fluoride.

So what's the reason for it being added to water?

Effects wrote: »
    So what's the reason for it being added to water?

Big Toothpaste.

They found a way to get us addicted to it. Fluoride gets added to water and next thing we're all brushing our teeth using toothpaste multiple times a day.

However, now Big Water is getting involved and want to frame tap water as being a health hazard so that we go out and buy bottled water and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

I used lemon and/or lime. One of those with some cucumber as well is lovely and refreshing

Do not do this, it damages your enamel if you are sipping acidic water all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If your body needs more water it will make you thirsty and you will want to drink it.

Anything after that isn’t needed and you’ll just pass it out needlessly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I don't like it either but the following help:-

1) Mint, cucumber and ice cubes
    2) Alternate still & sparking
    3) Alternate between cold water (drink straight) & warm water (drink like you would a cup of tea)
    4) Flavoured water - tesco brand is good, volvic not so much
    5) Diluting with lime, cranberry or pineapple is often nicer than miwadi

• Advertisement

ellee wrote: »

Never said to sip it all day. Just drink it normally.

If sipping is your thing, use a straw.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Warbeastrior

ellee wrote:

I'm guessing berries would be fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Cill94

First world problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

In the grand scheme of things, I can see no harm continuing to drink 0% sugar Mi Wadi.

The benefit/cost trade off has to be worth it. I think the below article explains the concept very well.

For me, if I cut out dilute/concentrate, I end up consuming much less water overall and end up feeling deprived of a treat. In the long-run, I feel it is much better off psychologically to keep in small treats if they are the lead domino for an overall healthy behavior.

Another small example for myself is that I will often have a sweet/biscuit on my daily walk. I cut out the sweets for a while and similar to the above, it felt like self-flagellation rather than self-discipline.

If the worst substance you consume on a daily basis is 0% sugar Mi Wadi, you are doing just fine!

Here is the article mentioned - https://sigmanutrition.com/whats-the-roi-of-your-nutrition-choices/

Patsy167 wrote:
    If the worst substance you consume on a daily basis is 0% sugar Mi Wadi, you are doing just fine!

That's true too. I'm gradually reducing my intake which is helping than going cold turkey.
    May not be the worst thing if I end up with even a small drop of cordial in each litre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

OmegaGene wrote: »
    I was never a fan of water and drank 4 litres of coke a day plus tea and beers or cider, now it’s just 4 - 6 litres of water a day and a couple of cups of tea and anything else is rank tbh I can’t touch fizzy drinks anymore

Keep going with the water, add ice and slowly reduce the cordial

That’s an insane amount of water to drink per day, considering even the “drink 2 litres of water a day” thing was misinterpreted. The study it was taken from included the water contained in the food you ingest. I’d be questioning if something was up if I needed to drink over 4 litres of liquid a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Nermal

Why are you trying to drink when you're not thirsty?

Nermal wrote:
    Why are you trying to drink when you're not thirsty?

I don't agree with this cos I can go a full day without feeling thirsty. That can't be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭scilover

I also hate the taste of plain water. But the way I solve this to add some lemon into cold water. It's really refreshing to drink after a hot day. Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Put a slice of lemon into it. Try drinking room temp water ..sometimes cold water can be a bit much.

Advertisement