Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger 10/22 for gallery rifle

Options
  • 28-06-2020 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

In your experiences what are the main upgrades you have to do with a standard ruger to get it ready for competition
    Is there any must do’s before competition
    And where can I source these upgrades
    What scopes are you using tia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

1. Trigger
    Single stage KIDD --- IMO.
    (Available off the shelve from GunShop.ie. Dealers in Harbour House Sports Club)
    2. Go shoot it.
    3. Front action pillor bed with replacement 6mm action screw. Rear action hold down stud to stock.
    4. Go shoot it.

Bushnell Banner 6-18x50mm A lot of the top shooters are using these.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Fx Royale

clivej wrote: »
    1. Trigger
    Single stage KIDD --- IMO.
    (Available off the shelve from GunShop.ie. Dealers in Harbour House Sports Club)
    2. Go shoot it.
    3. Front action pillor bed with replacement 6mm action screw. Rear action hold down stud to stock.
    4. Go shoot it.

Bushnell Banner 6-18x50mm A lot of the top shooters are using these.

Thanks Clivej are standard barrels good enough for the job or is that another consideration and how many mags is enough???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Fx Royale wrote: »
    Thanks Clivej are standard barrels good enough for the job or is that another consideration and how many mags is enough???

A lot of shooters are happy with the standard barrels and win competitions.

IMO start with just a trigger upgrade and go from there.
    5 mags are enough to shoot competitions with (6 is best). In the 1020 and 1500 comps. 4 mags are required and you'd need at least 1 more if you get a jam midway thru.

Once you start shooting the comps. you can chat with the lads and see what customising and upgrades they have done.

I hate to think what I have spent on my 10/22, I don't have any Ruger parts now.:eek: :eek:
    So much so that I have a Dlask action and the serial number on my 10/22 is "clivej001" :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

The Kidd drop in trigger kit will save you a bit of money and well up to the job, and the trigger should be first thing on your list, and as Clive had mentioned the Banner scope is very good value for money scope for the job. Oh and then there's the barrel and stock, you could stop there lol, but maybe the bolt the receiver have I forgotten anything ?

Wadi14 wrote: »
    The Kidd drop in trigger kit will save you a bit of money and well up to the job, and the trigger should be first thing on your list, and as Clive had mentioned the Banner scope is very good value for money scope for the job. Oh and then there's the barrel and stock, you could stop there lol, but maybe the bolt the receiver have I forgotten anything ?

So basically throw away everything haha
    Thanks wadi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The trigger is far and away the most important thing to change but. Clivej recommends the Kidd single stage trigger. I have the Kidd 2 stage trigger and I like it better than the single stage but that's just personal opinion. I'd say the single stage is more popular than the two stage but I like the lighter touch of the two stage trigger. Kidd triggers are expensive though....approx €350ish the last time I looked but then again, that was a while ago.

Second would be the stock. I hated the standard Ruger wooden stock. Boyd's stocks are quite good (that's what I have) although I know one Irish shooter who had the standard Ruger synthetic stock on his target model and he set all sorts of records in the UK with it. Bedding the stock can also help improve accuracy.

The factory barrel is good enough to win competitions but when there are very tight margins the fraction of an advantage that a target barrel will give you can make all the difference. I didn't like the Kidd ultra-lightweight barrel. I found it too light and it was harder to keep it steady on a windy day. Again personal opinion but I prefered the Kidd lightweight barrel.

Nobody here has mentioned this so far but a 20moa rail is also useful to have on your 10/22. Some custom receivers come with this built in as standard (Dlask I think).

I'd be like Clivej, very little Ruger parts left at this stage. I would consider changing the receiver the least important part to do but that's just my personal opinion. Kind of cool having your name as the licence number though. :)

The best advice is to go to a range that has a lot of gallery rifle shooters and see what other shooters are using. You can get some good advice from them.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    The trigger is far and away the most important thing to change but. Clivej recommends the Kidd single stage trigger. I have the Kidd 2 stage trigger and I like it better than the single stage but that's just personal opinion. I'd say the single stage is more popular than the two stage but I like the lighter touch of the two stage trigger. Kidd triggers are expensive though....approx €350ish the last time I looked but then again, that was a while ago.

Second would be the stock. I hated the standard Ruger wooden stock. Boyd's stocks are quite good (that's what I have) although I know one Irish shooter who had the standard Ruger synthetic stock on his target model and he set all sorts of records in the UK with it. Bedding the stock can also help improve accuracy.

The factory barrel is good enough to win competitions but when there are very tight margins the fraction of an advantage that a target barrel will give you can make all the difference. I didn't like the Kidd ultra-lightweight barrel. I found it too light and it was harder to keep it steady on a windy day. Again personal opinion but I prefered the Kidd lightweight barrel.

Nobody here has mentioned this so far but a 20moa rail is also useful to have on your 10/22. Some custom receivers come with this built in as standard (Dlask I think).

I'd be like Clivej, very little Ruger parts left at this stage. I would consider changing the receiver the least important part to do but that's just my personal opinion. Kind of cool having your name as the licence number though. :)

The best advice is to go to a range that has a lot of gallery rifle shooters and see what other shooters are using. You can get some good advice from them.

Thanks battlecorp very detailed and informative

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Hack12

The new custom shop is a fantastic bit of kit if you can afford it. It comes with a fluted heavy barrel (not ridiculous heavy), BX trigger (3 pound), bolt release done, extended mag release.

Hack12 wrote: »
    The new custom shop is a fantastic bit of kit if you can afford it. It comes with a fluted heavy barrel (not ridiculous heavy), BX trigger (3 pound), bolt release done, extended mag release.

I was having a look at that one too

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Hack12

Fx Royale wrote: »
    I was having a look at that one too

It also has the rail as part of the receiver which is 20MOA as standard. Long term you would save money with it but you may want to build your gun. Personally if they were around when I started I would buy one as they're ready to go.

• Advertisement

So I pulled the trigger and purchased a semi custom 10/22 got license back and got it home today... after a good strip and clean I stuck a scope on top zeroed it and I’m surprised how accurate it is just to get to the range next and enjoy thanks for all the help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

safe shooting and enjoy

So I pulled the trigger and purchased a semi custom 10/22 got license back and got it home today... after a good strip and clean I stuck a scope on top zeroed it and I’m surprised how accurate it is just to get to the range next and enjoy thanks for all the help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Damoeire33

good luck with the rifle, she's a good one for sure.

Damoeire33 wrote: »
    good luck with the rifle, she's a good one for sure.

Thanks very much I’ll try my best with it

Advertisement