Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drones and motorbikes

Options
  • 28-06-2020 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

Anyone here pilot a drone and ride a bike (not together ;)) . I got a Mavic 2 Air today and plan on using it in Donegal when I do a trip later in the summer. It has a tracking feature that can keep up with vehicles.

Interested in hearing other Irish riders experiences.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

D3V!L wrote: »
    Anyone here pilot a drone and ride a bike (not together ;)) . I got a Mavic 2 Air today and plan on using it in Donegal when I do a trip later in the summer. It has a tracking feature that can keep up with vehicles.

Interested in hearing other Irish riders experiences.

There's a lad in Cork on YouTube.

Lucky Luke I think is his name on it.

Might be worth contacting. He uses a drone. Gets some nice shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Handy for seeing if there's any checkpoints ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

yeah luke does it

drone stuff at around 16 mins. He's very sound so would probably give you loads of help if you asked

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Your supposed to have sight of the drone at all times? Can't see how you can be legal with a drone while riding a bike

https://www.iaa.ie/docs/default-source/misc/drone-safety---dos-and-don'ts.pdf?sfvrsn=2f8f0af3_2

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Del2005 wrote: »
    Your supposed to have sight of the drone at all times? Can't see how you can be legal with a drone while riding a bike

https://www.iaa.ie/docs/default-source/misc/drone-safety---dos-and-don'ts.pdf?sfvrsn=2f8f0af3_2

Yep, and if it falls outside certain parameters it has to be registered. Like most things Irish people don't follow the rules or care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Yep, and if it falls outside certain parameters it has to be registered. Like most things Irish people don't follow the rules or care.

Thanks for that, I'm well aware of the regulations. Who said i would be driving my bike and filming myself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

D3V!L wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I'm well aware of the regulations. Who said i would be driving my bike and filming myself ?

Who mentioned you specifically? I was responding to the poster above me and the link they added.
    Never mentioned filming while riding in my post at all.
    My Irish people comment wasn't aimed at you either it was the general public at large hence the "Irish people".

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

I've got a Mavic Air 2, I've only played with the vehicle tracking a little bit so far. Seems good, doesn't like when it loses sight of the vehicle, so need to balance height/distance form the object along with speed and sudden movements.
    I had a recent near miss, following a jeep on private property at low heights, vehicle went up hill and stopped, drone only barely missed running into the back of it. So I'll be keeping a little more height from now on!
    I wouldn't fancy public roads much unless you've got plenty of height.

Great yoke, really impressed with the footage and quality from it. Seems pretty safe too, good obstacle detection/avoidance, good range and warnings about distance. Performs well in wind, with good warnings about wind speed.

The 'Quickshots' are great too, like pre-programmed routines for circle or boomerang footage of something.

There is a Motorcross track near me, planning on trying out some decent tracking there when they are back on again.

Advertisement