Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non Contributory Pension Means Test

• 28-06-2020 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

If only one member of a married couple is applying for a non-contributory state pension how does the means test work in relation to savings? The spouse has a private pension in their own right and will not be applying for any state pension.

I understand that the income from the partner’s pension will be halved and counted as means against the applicant, but will the joint savings account also be halved? Or will it be counted in full against the applicant because it’s a joint account?

As an example, the applicant currently has no personal income but shares the pension (€430 per week in total) of their spouse and they have savings in a joint account of approximately €80k. The applicant will be 66 at the end of the year.

I’d really appreciate if anyone can run the figures on this to see if the applicant will even qualify at all. Are the computed total means too much? I suspect the savings may impact on the calculation, especially as it's a joint account.

Advertisement