Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stop hate for profit boycott campaign v Facebook

Options
  • 28-06-2020 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

There are now 160 companies (some global giants) and more and more rapidly joining in boycotting purchasing Facebook advertising in the month of July.

The campaign is calling for Facebook to remove hateful, violent and racist comments and pages. Campaigners want Facebook to change their business model to tackle and remove the above

Facebook stock dropped 8% on Friday knocking 56 billion from their value

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

"we only want our views represented" - gigantic corporations with regards to social media

the people who usually oppose big corporations controlling their media : "yeah that sounds brilliant, we agree"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Private corporations boycotting a private corporation.

Where does my sympathy lie??!?!?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭tigger123

Finally, someone that can get Facebook to behave in an ethical way!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Public morality adjudicated by corporate entities. Dark times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

"we only want our views represented" - gigantic corporations with regards to social media

the people who usually oppose big corporations controlling their media : "yeah that sounds brilliant, we agree"

Well Facebook have let hate speech and misinformation spread like wildfire on their platform. Look at the recent 5g spreads covid fiasco a couple of months ago. It needs to stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Private corporations boycotting a private corporation.

Where does my sympathy lie??!?!?!?!?

It will be interesting to see how this goes. Fb makes 70 billion a year from advertising. Will Zuckerberg stick to his guns or fold to cancel culture.
    The campaign is expected to go global

Public morality adjudicated by corporate entities. Dark times.

This is nearly as much hyprocrisy as newspapers using drug wars to sell papers and then refusing to cover the kinihan boxing match

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Any more good news stories OP? I could do with a bit of cheering up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It will be interesting to see how this goes. Fb makes 70 billion a year from advertising. Will Zuckerberg stick to his guns or fold to cancel culture.
    The campaign is expected to go global

And if people want to take their business elsewhere, who cares?

Are we meant to feel sorry for FB?

People are also free to boycott the companies that boycott FB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Big corporations "Look there's a band wagon, quick jump on it if we don't it'll be bad for business because all our competitors will have jumped on it."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,923 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Excellent. This is exactly what a free society should be doing.

Social media companies are giant, tax-dodging profit driven entities who have been profiting from hosting offensive and hateful content, not to mention disinformation for some time now. It's well past time they were taken to task.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Those who shout the loudest:

Twitter can ban who ever they want. They are a private company.

Same group:

Facebook need to ban things we don't like.
    Are Facebook also not a private company?

Bunch of hypocrites

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

If Politicians in Ireland were honest and had principals. Shouldn't they be demanding that Facebook get their act together, or get kicked out of Ireland.

No place in Ireland for Hate.Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,558 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

can't remember the last time I saw an ad for Coke on Facebook,

i2HK8tK.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Smith152

Excellent. This is exactly what a free society should be doing.

Social media companies are giant, tax-dodging profit driven entities who have been profiting from hosting offensive and hateful content, not to mention disinformation for some time now. It's well past time they were taken to task.

I agree Twitter should have been held to task for all the hateful abuse directed at JK Rowling over the past while. Disgraceful they've been let away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If advertisement really worked like the marketing departments say they do, then surely this will damage their own brands and that they won't be able to stay off it forever?

Now if I were a shareholder for one of these brands, I would be asking why the f**k have we been wasting all this money on Social Media Advertising

Advertisement