Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about having to set up a separate company

Options
  • 28-06-2020 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Hi all,

Let me explain: I have a limited company that's going well. It's in a industry that is VAT exempt. Now myself and my business partner have an idea for a website that would offer services that's entirely separate from our current business, this itself would not be VAT exempt. My question is would we need to set up a new limited company for this or is there some other way of doing this so that we don't have to go messing around with the VAT exemption? Now that I think, the corporation taxes would be different rates as well.

If we do have to set up a separate limited company can the current limited company loan the funds or be a share holder?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

thomasjad wrote: »
    Hi all,

Let me explain: I have a limited company that's going well. It's in a industry that is VAT exempt. Now myself and my business partner have an idea for a website that would offer services that's entirely separate from our current business, this itself would not be VAT exempt. My question is would we need to set up a new limited company for this or is there some other way of doing this so that we don't have to go messing around with the VAT exemption? Now that I think, the corporation taxes would be different rates as well.

If we do have to set up a separate limited company can the current limited company loan the funds or be a share holder?

A company can be registered and supplying for both taxable and exempt services. No problem with that.

Why would the CT rates be different?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭thomasjad

We have non trading income as well so higher CT rate.

Just trying to get a clear picture in my head. For the revenue we make from the website related activity is there a way to have this in a separate bank account/accounts. We'd like to try keep expenses and revenue separate if it all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,043 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

you can run both activities through the same company.

re the CT, on the CT1 you would declare the 2 income streams on that and taxed at their applicable rate.

you could have 2 bank accounts to keep the transactions separate - just be sure your invoices have the correct details. you could also start claiming a portion of the 'old' vat such as light/heat/phone/internet bills. The general expenses that would apply to both streams. Based on % of turnover is a fair way to apportion i reckon.

there are also the vat thresholds to think about. you may not reach the threshold initially.

then there are other considerations: cost of having to produce 2 x sets of accounts.

for liability reasons you may prefer to have 2 separate entities.

Advertisement