Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can laminate be repaired?

• 28-06-2020 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi everyone, over the years a small section of our laminate in the middle of our living room broke. The living room is 2.5 x 5m.
    I wonder if it could be repaired or if it would be the same cost to lay a new laminate on top?

Thanks in advance

Comments

Rip it up ,looks water damaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Ron75 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, over the years a small section of our laminate in the middle of our living room broke. The living room is 2.5 x 5m.
    I wonder if it could be repaired or if it would be the same cost to lay a new laminate on top?

Thanks in advance

In a general sense no, not repairable if you had a spare few boards from the install you could pop a skirting and work your way into the section and replace those boards but its unlikely unless your stored some in the attic ?

I would not lay a laminate ontop of another laminate, it will look shocking all around the room and the door will likely catch and you will end up probably with a lip up into the room. Strip it out and ensure the area is dry and relay a new floor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Has a dog been peeing on it?

That's finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Rip it out. Laminate has come a long way since that kind of stuff. Easy enough job for a DIYer. I've no idea of Irish prices but I got a load of nice 12mm AC4 recently for about £15/m2, 8mm was about £11 iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ron75

In a general sense no, not repairable if you had a spare few boards from the install you could pop a skirting and work your way into the section and replace those boards but its unlikely unless your stored some in the attic ?

I would not lay a laminate ontop of another laminate, it will look shocking all around the room and the door will likely catch and you will end up probably with a lip up into the room. Strip it out and ensure the area is dry and relay a new floor

Thanks, that's what I was thinking, but wanted to double check as you don't know what you don't know.
    To access the living room you'll need to go down 2 steps, so the raised floor wouldn't be an issue and there's sufficient space between the patio door and the floor.
    However, I agree with you, since it's water damaged and already raised there's no point in putting in so much effort to fix an aged laminate and to put a new one on top.

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Appreciate it ðŸ‘

• Advertisement

Rip it up ,looks water damaged.
    Cheers, it's been slightly damaged since we moved in a few years ago and the kids also added their part. We just had to move in fast as we literally had one weekend to move out of our apartment and into the house. Always wanted to fix it, but there was always something else 😉

theteal wrote: »
    Rip it out. Laminate has come a long way since that kind of stuff. Easy enough job for a DIYer. I've no idea of Irish prices but I got a load of nice 12mm AC4 recently for about £15/m2, 8mm was about £11 iirc.

I've come across similar prices in Dublin as well. Just replace the £ with €

Has a dog been peeing on it?

That's finished.

I've no idea. That part was already damaged when we moved in. Just smaller and kids spilled some water or juice so it got bigger over time

What i would say is alot of the newer good quality laminate such as balterio, quick step, kronopol and others have significantly upped the quality of the boards, putting down a good quality underlay and floor makes a massive difference to the room.

All the laminate floors i have laid lately have had the wood gain effect ingrained into them which along with a good thickness really adds to the feeling to quality underfoot.

I've come across similar prices in Dublin as well. Just replace the £ with €

That's really good for Dublin prices, I always just assume stuff is dearer back home. Just check the quality, if I remember correctly AC5 is commercial, AC4 is heavy domestic etc. etc.
    What i would say is alot of the newer good quality laminate such as balterio, quick step, kronopol and others have significantly upped the quality of the boards, putting down a good quality underlay and floor makes a massive difference to the room.

All the laminate floors i have laid lately have had the wood gain effect ingrained into them which along with a good thickness really adds to the feeling to quality underfoot.

Yes, this is what I was alluding to in the earlier post. The stuff I've put down in a bedroom a few weeks ago looks and feels like grey wood with grain and knots and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭in2dark

I see many new flats have laminate in kitchen area. I know the quality builders use is not the best.
    What if i go for the best quality myself and replace the tiles i currently have in kitchen with top quality laminate? Is it recommended?

Tiles have to be replaced anyway as they are wobbly

in2dark wrote: »
    I see many new flats have laminate in kitchen area. I know the quality builders use is not the best.
    What if i go for the best quality myself and replace the tiles i currently have in kitchen with top quality laminate? Is it recommended?

Tiles have to be replaced anyway as they are wobbly

Assuming you scrape and level the floor after taking up the tiles. Then a few of the big name manufacturers do offer laminates that are suitable for kitchens and bathrooms I would note though that they would be resistant to moisture mostly due to the click joint design if you leave standing water on them or get into the joints without it being wiped up quickly you will prob still have an issue.

Some of the same brands offer a click joint vinyl now that may be another option for you , this would be totally suitable for kitchen and bathroom use and is laid the same as laminate

I think they tend to recommend LVT for kitchens and bathrooms as opposed to laminate. Looks more or less the same afaik but is waterproof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Thanks in advance
    Your best lifting the existing floor and replacing as said with a good foil underlay,
    I've recently lifted similar laminate flooring in our kids bedrooms which had been there since 2002.

My two eldest are 10 & 12 so they were able and excited to help me; I lifted the panels using a screwdriver and hammer,
    The kids then carried each panel down the stairs and stacked them neatly in the back garden,
    That cost me €20 gave them €10 each and saved me alot of trips in and out of the house,

I then took the kids to the shop (yes this was before COVID-19)
    I purchased a cheap Jigsaw in Argos for €23

I set up my Aldi scaffold ladder to act as a bench and chopped the laminate floor in to small 12" lengths using the space between the steps of the ladder as a size template,
    I positioned a wheelbarrow underneath; so when cut they fell in to the wheelbarrow,
    Alternatively you could get a hand saw in Mr.price for low cost DIY they also sell jig saw blades should spares be required. Also the wheelie bin itself with the lid open would also suffice as a cutting bench.

The kids then helped me to stack them in the shed; I then put a few in to my domestic waste wheelie bin every week which saved me €200 not having to purchase a skip.
    The existing underlay will also fold up very small for disposal,
    A visual of this process can be saw on my home improvement thread here if interested to view it's down after the radiator and television install:
    https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/?do=findComment&comment=766329

I also disposed of mattresses for free saving €50 per mattress using a Stanley blade in the back garden; cut the material off the springs; material went in the wheelie bin and the springs were then classed as scrap metal; I folded in half held with a cable tie, put in to the boot of the car and straight to the local recycling centre for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭in2dark

@lenwoods you are a hero. What a nice and detailed post. Thanks for sharing it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

in2dark wrote: »
    @lenwoods you are a hero. What a nice and detailed post. Thanks for sharing it!

Thanks very much,

Advertisement