Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT query

Options
  • 29-06-2020 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hello there,

I have two questions regarding NCT please let me know if you have experince with it and not what you think :P

1- I have 2011 car, the NCT was supposed to be on Jan 2021 and I wanted to go for NCT on December so I get 2 years certificate but because of Corona, the NCT has been extended until May 2021 but now if I go to NCT at any month on 2021, I will be issued one year only. I know that you can volunteer 3 months before your NCT. My question is, can they give me 2 years as it's been extended by them because I believe I cannot book it in December now :confused:

2- If you have NCT that end on say December 2020 and you volunteer 3 months before then fail it, will you still have up till Decemeber or you are now binded to certain days to fix the car and not up to ur certificate (Of course if not failing under dangerious category). Because NCT centres, they do not take off your disc on the window if you fail right!

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Shah91n wrote: »
    1- I have 2011 car, the NCT was supposed to be on Jan 2021 and I wanted to go for NCT on December so I get 2 years certificate but because of Corona, the NCT has been extended until May 2021 but now if I go to NCT at any month on 2021, I will be issued one year only. I know that you can volunteer 3 months before your NCT. My question is, can they give me 2 years as it's been extended by them because I believe I cannot book it in December now :confused:

You wouldn't have gotten a 2 year cert no matter if you got it in January or December. It would have always run until January 2022 even if you had opted to test early as the length of time is based on the date of first registration of the car & once the car is 10 years old, the cert is only valid for 1 year. Getting it done early just helps with the number of cars that are due in January but it doesn't give you an additional year.
    2- If you have NCT that end on say December 2020 and you volunteer 3 months before then fail it, will you still have up till Decemeber or you are now binded to certain days to fix the car and not up to ur certificate (Of course if not failing under dangerious category). Because NCT centres, they do not take off your disc on the window if you fail right!

So if you fail, you'll have 21 days to book a re-test from the date of fail. Otherwise you have to pay for a full test again. They don't take the disc off your window but it's like the fact that the insurers don't take the disc back either. Technically you can wait until it's up to do a retest but you'll be paying for a full test again as opposed to either a free retest (for a visual defect) or the retest fee for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Shah91n

You wouldn't have gotten a 2 year cert no matter if you got it in January or December. It would have always run until January 2022 even if you had opted to test early as the length of time is based on the date of first registration of the car & once the car is 10 years old, the cert is only valid for 1 year. Getting it done early just helps with the number of cars that are due in January but it doesn't give you an additional year.

So if you fail, you'll have 21 days to book a re-test from the date of fail. Otherwise you have to pay for a full test again. They don't take the disc off your window but it's like the fact that the insurers don't take the disc back either. Technically you can wait until it's up to do a retest but you'll be paying for a full test again as opposed to either a free retest (for a visual defect) or the retest fee for the car.

Thank you very explanation. Much appreciate it

The car was registered on Jan 2011 so if I understand you correctly, anytime before Jan 2021 I should get 2 years!! which was due NCT on DEC (if was no COVID)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Thank you very explanation. Much appreciate it

The car was registered on Jan 2011 so if I understand you correctly, anytime before Jan 2021 I should get 2 years!! which was due NCT on DEC (if was no COVID)

No, your car will be ten years old in January so you would only be able to get a cert until January of 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭zg3409

Note's its 90 days early, not 3 months, there is a slight difference.

More general info here
    https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Your-Vehicle-/Test-due-date--Voluntary-Early-Testing-/

With many cars getting 4 months free NCT I am not sure exactly how it works in this case.

I got this 2 year NCT on a not quite 10 year old car before, it is a thing, and they even suggest it on the letter to go early to get an NCT before your car is 10 and it will do until it is nearly 12 years old. This skips a test at 11th birthday

It might be worth ringing NCT.

My guess is that you need to do it MORE than 90 days before the OLD due date, as in more than 90 days before that January date written on NCT expiry. You can do a voluntary NCT or whatever it is called when your NCT is not even due, and they will give you 2 years NCT and reset the due date to exactly 2 years from date test was taken.

Typically I would have allowed time for test plus an extra couple of weeks in case I failed on something simple like tyre damage or blown bulb. This meant I could fix issue and still bring car back more than 90 days before test due, so it got its first test 110 days before due date, giving 20 days to fix issues and retest. So say you did it October 1st (check its more than 90 days) your next test would be due October 1st 2022. Ask the NCT this specific question

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Shah91n

awesome thanks everyone

• Advertisement
Advertisement