Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travel anxiety

• 29-06-2020 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I viewed travelling and airports as dangerous in relation to the covid19 virus. My partner announced over the course of the weekend that he's going to England for the August Bank Holiday weekend. He has family living there and it's to visit them.

I'm actually kinda shocked and appalled how he's flying in the face against the governments guidelines and also putting himself into the firing line of picking up virus. We don't live together. He does live on the family farm with his elderly parents. They rely on him for so much. I know him very well too and I know when he gets home, he won't self isolate himself and he will continue on with life on the farm, helping his parents with chemist and shopping duties, and if the pubs are open, he will go to the pubs too. I'm still in shock how he's putting himself into the firing line for exposure to the virus. He's not the fittest or the healthiest person either. He never used them hand sanitizer on the walls of hospitals before now so it's doubtful he will use them even now.

I'm not happy. It means that I will have to isolate myself away from him for the first few weeks of August. Is there anything I can do to help him to make the journey safer? Maybe supply him with some masks?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Tork

Has he been paying any heed to the other measures to prevent the spread of the virus? Does he wash his hands, wear a mask or use hand sanitizer when he's out and about? If he isn't, what makes you think handing him some masks will make one bit of difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Upforthematch

Is getting the boat and driving over an option?

Nothing you can do here Op!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

You don't have to isolate going to the UK. However - I think you do when you return here, but the advice here for returning from the UK is not clear. I think it'll be updated in the next week or so. I am waiting for the advice to be updated before booking a flight home.

I don't know where your partner is staying, but as long as he masks up, washes his hands and socially distances, then he'll be OK over. It's when he returns that will be the problem.

He's an adult, OP. You're his partner, not his Mum. All you can do is point out the risks. The rest is up to him, I'm afraid.

Advertisement