Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green policies for Meath - Navan Train line?

Options
  • 29-06-2020 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

If I'm to look for some positives from the new government formation.

Will we see the re-establishment of the Navan Train line as an option?

The only Meath TD at the cabinet table is Helen McEntee I think who is obviously a Meath East TD so it's not something she'll be aggressively pushing. ON the other hand Dunshaughlin has experienced a lot of development recently. Fingers crossed she gets on board.

Not a fan of English but here's the latest on it according to him https://www.meathchronicle.ie/2020/06/27/english-if-navan-rail-line-feasibility-is-proven-new-government-will-have-to-deliver-funding-to-get-meath-on-track/

I'd love to see the development of the Boyne Greenway accelerated also. It's planned to go all the way from Drogheda to Enfield (via Trim where I am) eventually but I could be on the zimmer frame by then with the rate of progress.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

I'd prefer to see more industries setting up in Meath. Why do we need a train line? So we can drive to a train station, pay for parking, get onto a packed train, and get off at the Docklands? There should be no need for talented workers in Meath to have to commute!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Of course that'd be ideal. Fortunately I don't commute into Dublin myself but I cross the old train line most days and romanticize about it so I'm not coming from a completely objective point of view. It'll be interesting to see what the viability study throws back.

As for job creation outside of Dublin. I think a Cork Taoiseach might see a push Munster direction firstly during this governments term with the rest picking up the crumbs. And then there's the new paradigm of remote working. I could always do 90% of my work remotely before COVID and that's more or less become a reality since.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Smilinpolitely

With all the money being promised for cycling infrastructure would now be the time for a greenway running alongside the rail line(on the east side of the track) from m3 parkway to just beyond Hansfield station where it could link up with the royal canal greenway. This is approx 7km of track to install and would result in a route all the way to dublin city centre or the shannon.
    And if the rail line was every extended to navan hopefully the greenway would be installed too

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

chewed wrote: »
    I'd prefer to see more industries setting up in Meath. Why do we need a train line? So we can drive to a train station, pay for parking, get onto a packed train, and get off at the Docklands? There should be no need for talented workers in Meath to have to commute!

Agreed...even if the Govt. gave it the go-ahead tomorrow, it would be donkey-years before the train-line would become a reality.
    No point now in annoying ourselves over it...and as another poster pointed out, working from home undermines the whole project.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

And top of the list for Greenway funding? Oldbridge to Navan.

https://www.thejournal.ie/greenways-ireland-5164123-Jul2020/
    The largest single allocation is €750,000 for the Boyne Greenway in Meath, with capital to support the examination of different route options and plan for a 26.5 km section from Oldbridge Estate to Navan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

And top of the list for Greenway funding? Oldbridge to Navan.

https://www.thejournal.ie/greenways-ireland-5164123-Jul2020/

Does this proposed greenway just follow the Boyne?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Newgrange Warrior

Good to hear they got good funding for planning.

A previous plan I seen it followed Boyne alright. Some road sections & pedestrian bridges across Boyne for tight sections & where there was landowner access difficulties. Towpaths are existing in most sections but will need to be upgraded and widened for bike access.

I cycled the Waterford greenway the other week & it was excellent & it shows the potential for this.

Advertisement