Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio Maintenance

Options
  • 29-06-2020 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this belongs in a different forum.

We have a patio made of Indian sandstone which is showing signs of wear and tear. We've had it cleaned over the years, sometimes doing it ourselves and sometimes using those guys who call around offering their services.

Apart from wanting to have the entire patio cleaned and sealed, there are some gaps between the slabs that need repairing. We had a botched job done last year and want to get a proper professional job done this time around.

I would welcome any suggestions or recommendations as to who we might use to provide this service.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

We had some sandstone laid a couple of years ago as part of a professional landscaping job, and the grout that wqs used had the appearance of a kind of sandy mortar, but I was told it was resin-based. I think the brand was Geo-fix. I suggest you google "paving jointing compound".
    You could clean out the unsound material yourself, and apply the compound with a filling knife or putty knife. It doesn't require any highly qualified expensive skill, it was done in my yard by the contractor's labourer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭abff

Thanks. We’ve had someone out to look at it and the price quoted is somewhat eye watering. We’re talking to someone else this evening, but I’ll look into the DIY option if their price is similar to the first guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

abff wrote: »
    Thanks. We’ve had someone out to look at it and the price quoted is somewhat eye watering. We’re talking to someone else this evening, but I’ll look into the DIY option if their price is similar to the first guy.

How much was the quote and what did it involve. How much of an area is concerned.

The jointing compound is mad money, I bought a 14kg tub of the GeoFix in Goodwins a couple of years ago and it was €44 at the time. They no longer have that same product but it was along the lines of this:
    https://www.goodwins.ie/products/joint-it-simple-neutral-buff-20kg-min-3-25mm-4020200.html

With the somewhat large joints in sandstone a tub doesn't go a long way so it was the only tub I've bought. It's nice product, easy apply and doesn't leave any staining plus it dries at the same rate as the sandstone so looks well but it can be removed with powerhosing so doesn't last forever.

Advertisement