Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public toilets in the city centre...are there any?

Options
  • 29-06-2020 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭

I was in town at the weekend and, due to the lack of toilet facilities available, had to feck off home.

Debenhams used to be a go-to for their public loos. The City Council ones on Grand Parade were closed a while back due to drug use etc.

Where can people go these days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Bit of a trek, but top floor of Dunnes next to the cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

There's toilets in Brown Thomas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

And are those open to the public at the moment? I thought they were all closed off at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

Fabio wrote: »
    And are those open to the public at the moment? I thought they were all closed off at the moment...

Brown Thomas are. Just less cubicles open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Crawford Gallery, top floor but there is a lift, should be open from today, they're a bit more designer than just functional though the doors can be difficult to open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Thank you folks.

It's something the city needs to work on though, shouldn't be a secret :) .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Merchants quay jacks is open. It is brutal though. All suggestions here are centre toilets council have nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Pubs etc are opening today so things should improve .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

We should create a skicky for future reference for boardsies caught short :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

They should reopen Dr Healys public toilet. It's all overgrown and a fine historic structure which is part of our heritage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Yesterday's Irish Times.....

Sir,– Now that the city of Cork is so well represented in the new Government, might it be possible for them to see to it that the most basic human requirement for public conveniences is provided for a population now approaching a quarter of a million?

English local councils have been heavily criticised for “only” running an average of 15 toilets per 12,500 citizens . If we were so provided in such a miserly fashion we would, proportionately, have over 200.

But how many do we have? The answer is none. Yes, you non-Corkonians have read that right.

The second city of one of the richest states in the world does not provide a single public convenience.

So what does the contemptuous disregard for an essential public need say about our political representatives? – Yours, etc,

DERMOT O’ DOWDA,

Blackpool,

Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Bishop Lucey Park.

Any doorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Fabio wrote: »
    Thank you folks.

It's something the city needs to work on though, shouldn't be a secret :) .

But sure any time public WCs were provided they were rendered unusable in jig-time by drug addicts, simpletons and assorted random loo-lahs, same as in every Irish city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Completely agree that the lack of public toilets is annoying, but equally I don't think the general populous could be trusted to respect them if they were there.

Case in point - Ballincollig Regional Park. There is only a single public toilet covering the whole park, and on Monday I noticed that it was closed, with fencing put up around up. It turned out that some upstanding members of our society had set fire to the thing, and one side was badly damaged. So now, there are no toilets in the park.

I know that's not an argument for not providing toilets at all - not to mention that by doing so you're punishing good people for the actions of a few - but I can understand why the council aren't rushing out to provide them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

Just behind a guy using toilets in merchants quay he didnt bother washing the hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

ofcork wrote: »
    Just behind a guy using toilets in merchants quay he didnt bother washing the hands.

Did you call An Gardaí?

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PreCocious

One option is to have attended toilets.

Saint Malo in France has loads of public toilets along the promenade and within the city walls. They all have attendants and are absolutely spotless. Other places that have unattended toilets are of very variable quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

PreCocious wrote: »

Saint Malo in France has loads of public toilets along the promenade and within the city walls. They all have attendants and are absolutely spotless. Other places that have unattended toilets are of very variable quality.

Need more immigrants to become attendants because sure as sh1t Irish aren't going to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭RINO87

Absolutely. Loads of places in Europe have attended toilets and they are always in top condition. Yes you do have to pay a euro or whatever but it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Loire wrote: »

Sir,– Now that the city of Cork is so well represented in the new Government, might it be possible for them to see to it that the most basic human requirement for public conveniences is provided for a population now approaching a quarter of a million?

English local councils have been heavily criticised for “only” running an average of 15 toilets per 12,500 citizens . If we were so provided in such a miserly fashion we would, proportionately, have over 200.

But how many do we have? The answer is none. Yes, you non-Corkonians have read that right.

The second city of one of the richest states in the world does not provide a single public convenience.

So what does the contemptuous disregard for an essential public need say about our political representatives? – Yours, etc,

DERMOT O’ DOWDA,

Blackpool,

Cork.

I agree with the need for public toilets but still you need some perspective on it. The actual city area is very dense and any number even near 50 spread across the whole city would be complete over kill. It just isn't a very big metropolitan area. And at the end of the day who says England sets the standard.

I wonder where that 1/4 of a million figure is coming from? Does it include all the way out to Blarny and surrounds as the "city" limits were extended a few years ago?

• Advertisement

Loire wrote: »

DERMOT O’ DOWDA,

Blackpool,

Cork.

AFAIK Dublin city doesn't have public toilets either.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

One of the fanciest bathrooms I've ever used was a public one in Copenhagen. There was an attendant, I think it was free too. I don't think most people would mind paying a small fee for a clean and usable bathroom. The attendant would hopefully discourage any anti social behaviour. I would't mind paying a euro or 2 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Tig98 wrote: »
    I agree with the need for public toilets but still you need some perspective on it. The actual city area is very dense and any number even near 50 spread across the whole city would be complete over kill. It just isn't a very big metropolitan area. And at the end of the day who says England sets the standard.

I wonder where that 1/4 of a million figure is coming from? Does it include all the way out to Blarny and surrounds as the "city" limits were extended a few years ago?

I'd be happy with just one or two in the centre island.

The ones on Grand Parade have been sitting derelict for years now. City Hall need to get the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Barr wrote: »
    Pubs etc are opening today so things should improve .

Most if not all Pubs only allow customer's use the Toilets, I have Crohn's disease so always have to plan a trip to the city carefully.

Advertisement