Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,369 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Overheal wrote: »
    HUH?

Of course an African American can be a lawyer I’m still unclear why it needs to be mentioned though as part of a list of reasons arguing why his opinion should be endorsed!

Without wanting to step on any toes here, the fact that the person in question is an African American is relevant to this discussion for the very fact that their qualifications aside(but still given due consideration), their outlook on the issues at hand here are contrary to the narrative put forward by BLM. and it's supporters which seems to expect all people whose skin colour is black should fall in line with the narrative of BLM, which is of course preposterous.

nullzero wrote: »
    Thanks.

Nothing repugnant in there.

I was hoping Jeff would clarify his comment. To me, it's repugnant similar to how english conservatives back in the "good old days" would disparage the Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,369 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I was hoping Jeff would clarify his comment. To me, it's repugnant similar to how english conservatives back in the "good old days" would disparage the Irish.

What he said has no relation to English Conservatives and their views on the Irish "back in the good old days".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Yes, I have white privileges.

White privilege doesn't exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 brentanrodgers

Yes, I have white privileges.

Did the soldiers on Omaha beach have them too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

What relevance is it that he is black?

If he were white. You and your ilk would be calling him a racist and white supremacist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,850 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Without wanting to step on any toes here, the fact that the person in question is an African American is relevant to this discussion for the very fact that their qualifications aside(but still given due consideration), their outlook on the issues at hand here are contrary to the narrative put forward by BLM. and it's supporters which seems to expect all people whose skin colour is black should fall in line with the narrative of BLM, which is of course preposterous.

I see. I guess because I haven’t seen anyone in the forum argue that if you’re black you definitively support BLM, I didn’t see why such a point was relevant here.

If he were white. You and your ilk would be calling him a racist and white supremacist.

That is presumption on your part. I'm just looking for facts which should be the end goal for all of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

BattleCorp wrote: »
    We don't know 100% if he was carrying the gun illegally. I thought he was but Manic Moran posted links to legislation that may give rise to circumstances where he was legally in possession of the rifle.

In which case police would have to ask to see his hunting licence and certificate from an approved course of instruction, which they clearly did not because they were too busy high fiving him.

The police had absolutely zero issue nor concern with whether Kyle Rittenhouse was acting within the confines of the law or not. They saw another gun with which to attempt to intimidate protesters and rioters, and that was all they cared about - not the law or their oath to uphold it.

What he said has no relation to English Conservatives and their views on the Irish "back in the good old days".
    It's relevant in the way that there was good Irish such as Terry wogan and bad Irish such as Bobby sands.

But at least Terry Wogan realised where his bread was buttered?

My point being that even if they earn a boatload of money. It doesn't take away their ethnicity/country of birth.

• Advertisement

(YOUTUBE)

Well since a youtube video says it, of course it must be true.

Yet, since there are youtube videos both saying White privilege does exist, and does not exist, maybe we should give the matter more thought than saying 'nu uh' and slapping down someone else's video essay in substitution for our own critical thoughts on the subject?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

In which case police would have to ask to see his hunting licence and certificate from an approved course of instruction, which they clearly did not because they were too busy high fiving him.

Manic also addressed that part. The law isn't clearly written and can be interpreted in many ways.

The police had absolutely zero issue nor concern with whether Kyle Rittenhouse was acting within the confines of the law or not. They saw another gun with which to attempt to intimidate protesters and rioters, and that was all they cared about - not the law or their oath to uphold it.

That's some set of blinkers that you are wearing.

You say he was another gun with which to attempt to intimidate protesters and rioters. I say he was another gun there to protect property from the rioters and protesters. How about if the protesters and rioters don't act the boll1x, stick within the laws and stop and damage private property and intimidating people. There's even video evidence of protesters damaging cars about 20 yards away from where KR shot the first guy.

It's relevant in the way that there was good Irish such as Terry wogan and bad Irish such as Bobby sands.

But at least Terry Wogan realised where his bread was buttered?

My point being that even if they earn a boatload of money. It doesn't take away their ethnicity/country of birth.

I will give the poster the benefit of the doubt, it was a poorly conveyed message that made it sound as though professional athletes can just choose to be black, or, be wealthy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

I did clarify my statement , post 3995 , you ignored it and declined to answer the questions again ,

its only offensive to some one who is looking to be offended ,

your comparison to English conservatism makes no sense whatsoever to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

If African Americans didn't commit so much crime they wouldn't get shot so much by the police. Once again the stats don't lie. 12.7% of the population but responsible for more than 50% of the crime.

According to the National Crime Victimization Survey in 2012, robberies with white victims and black offenders were more than 12 times more common than vice versa.

According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, black offenders committed 52% of homicides recorded in the data between 1980 and 2008. Only 45 per cent of the offenders were white.

Black people need to start taking responsibility for their own actions.

I will give the poster the benefit of the doubt, it was a poorly conveyed message that made it sound as though professional athletes can just choose to be black, or, be wealthy.

for your benefit and daz (third time around for him)

my statement and sentiment after clarification is that those nbl players decided that being wealthy was more important than standing with their oppressed black brothers

it took them less than 48 hours for greed to overcome blackness apparently

mynamejeff wrote: »

my statement and sentiment after clarification is that those nbl players decided that being wealthy was more important than standing with their oppressed black brothers

Ok. But their ability to "identify" as African American was limited by how much they earn? Which is what you originally said. Which is a comment you based on somebody's race and their ability to earn money?

Just something that would never occur to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

If African Americans didn't commit so much crime they wouldn't get shot so much by the police. Once again the stats don't lie. 12.7% of the population but responsible for more than 50% of the crime.

According to the National Crime Victimization Survey in 2012, robberies with white victims and black offenders were more than 12 times more common than vice versa.

According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, black offenders committed 52% of homicides recorded in the data between 1980 and 2008. Only 45 per cent of the offenders were white.

6% of the population black males are responsible for 50% of the murders in the USA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gerry Hatrick

6% of the population black males are responsible for 50% of the murders in the USA.

But but but orange man bad, defund the police etc...

mynamejeff wrote: »

So their blackness was dependent on how much they earnt? Here was me thinking that the US had huge issues with racial strife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I feel this meme fits here.

Gxi7Bsm_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Broadstone Bob

Interesting video.

So what he is saying is that even acknowledging that white privilege exists is racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Manic also addressed that part. The law isn't clearly written and can be interpreted in many ways.

That's some set of blinkers that you are wearing.

You say he was another gun with which to attempt to intimidate protesters and rioters. I say he was another gun there to protect property from the rioters and protesters. How about if the protesters and rioters don't act the boll1x, stick within the laws and stop and damage private property and intimidating people. There's even video evidence of protesters damaging cars about 20 yards away from where KR shot the first guy.
    Whether rioters act the bollocks or not, that does not give a constitutional nor legal right to other citizens to murder them, or to parade around with assault rifles near them if they are not otherwise legally entitled to do so. Just because someone supports Donald Trump does not grant them elevated constitutional rights above those who don't.

I have already clearly addressed MM's post, which shows that he would be required to own a hunting licence and to have passed an approved course in order to do so. At no point does he appear to have been asked for these, as police were too busy thanking him for being there with an assault rifle rather than checking that he was legally entitled to do so, whether he was the owner of the gun, or who he got it from. If the hunting exemption does not apply to rifles, Rittenhouse was carrying that gun illegally. If the hunting exemption does, police should check to ensure he is in compliance and not carrying the gun illegally.

And all of that is before pointing out that the entire hunting subsection very much appears to be discussing open carrying while hunting. That really doesn't sound like a defense that will hold up well in court.

But they didn't even bother, and even let him just walk away after killing people.

I feel this meme fits here.

Virtually all men killed by gun violence are killed by men. Shouldn't all men take responsibility for the violence of men?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Very clear footage of the kid running away, very clear that he was attempting to flee each time and was being attacked by every person he shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ_ZQG7xMzU

But the narrative will continue :o

Virtually all men killed by gun violence are killed by men. Shouldn't all men take responsibility for the violence of men?

Must be part of their male privilege, getting to do all those dangerous jobs

You're assigning blame to an entire race? Otherwise, shouldn't all people take responsibility for their own individual actions? Or is this like saying "all Travelers should take responsibility for the actions of their kind?"

Ok. But their ability to "identify" as African American was limited by how much they earn? Which is what you originally said. Which is a comment you based on somebody's race and their ability to earn money?

Just something that would never occur to me.

but it did occur to you

you've construed that false statement from what I posted ,

they are not the same thing , choice and ability are different words with different meanings

do you need a 4th explanation ? or are you going to keep trolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They need to do nothing absolutely nothing

Let the other side keep digging an even bigger hole for themselves

• Advertisement

You're assigning blame to an entire race? Otherwise, shouldn't all people take responsibility for their own individual actions? Or is this like saying "all Travelers should take responsibility for the actions of their kind?"

Hardly controversial to say that communities should take responsibility for the actions of those living there. Isn't that what those calling for police defunding want, more community driven engagement? Would you rather society views the people living there as not responsible for their actions, incapable of taking charge of their own affairs? Rather obnoxious to my mind. Do you think black people are less capable than others?

Advertisement