Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLM, or WLM? [MOD WARNING: FIRST POST]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Billy Mays wrote: »
    I disagree

I think context is key here. If, whilst discussing slavery, someone uses the term "damn blacks" I'd 100% consider it racist.

Same as someone saying "damn jews" whilst discussing the holocaust. 100% anti semetic

Yes I think it's fair to describe his comments as racist.No surprises from this pompous boor however. He deserves a response/level of opprobrium that is appropriate... not one that casts him like a convicted child molester however...not specifically saying that's the case here by the way ....but I'm aware of the often poisonous responses to people who respectfully criticize woke orthodoxy.
    The recent suspension of Stu Peters ,DJ from Isle of Man, for civilly debating a caller about the merits of a local BLM protest or the white privilege dogma is very sinister..a response that seems to to be manifesting itself in other forms and places on regular basis....thats creepy **** and needs to be resisted.The participation of fickle commercial interests to these debates is equally concerning...often merely pandering to to the manipulations and whims of bullies and mobs.

If a white person said "shut your stupid black mouth" and a black person said "shut your stupid white mouth", how is only one of those racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Not sure where this should go but this racist has "resigned" from Cambridge University (in reality he was fired)

https://twitter.com/Louis_Allday/status/1278636923330928642

When I read it and saw 'Damn blacks' I was like wow wait, you cant say that but then I watched the video and see it is different than how it is read and is more just a British way of speaking to exaggerate a talking point, But still he should have known better and although what he said is 100% correct ie:"Slavery was not genocide" why say it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,672 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

If a white person said "shut your stupid black mouth" and a black person said "shut your stupid white mouth", how is only one of those racist?

It isn't.

Is this in relation to a real world event, or is it hypothetical?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

White privilege is acknowledging that white people were not treated negatively solely because of assumptions made about them or directly because of their skin colour.

The evidence to support this has been documented from extreme cases, to more subjective examples. But there is no way that recognizing that this scenario existed (exists) for many is in and of itself racist.

White privilege didn’t/doesn’t exist in Ireland. Being a rocky outcrop on the peripheral of Europe and not having colonised other countries we simply didn’t have coloured people in the 80s and 90s. There was no privilege so we don’t have to apologise.

Now if you go to South Africa the white man is discriminated against and you have severe racism and crime targeting them. So you need a WLM campaign

I think American society is very messed up. And we shouldn’t be exporting there problems as if they are the same problems globally.

• Advertisement

It isn't.

This was hypothetical.

However, I have seen countless incidents online and in person where it is not seen or recognised as a pejorative if a "person of colour" makes disparaging remarks about a white person and includes their race, yet it is seen as utterly racist if a white person says something negative about a person of colour and mentions their race.

I would question your honesty if you say you have never witnessed the same.

This was hypothetical.

However, I have seen countless incidents online and in person where it is not seen or recognised as a pejorative if a "person of colour" makes disparaging remarks about a white person and includes their race, yet it is seen as utterly racist if a white person says something negative about a person of colour and mentions their race.

I would question your honesty if you say you have never witnessed the same.

If you have seen several cases online, give us a link to some where both parties behaved the same, yet only one side was accused of being racist.

Otherwise, it's just a strawman argument.

There is a topic in the news today of where a white woman and her husband was arrested for pulling a gun on a black family after a confrontation. I already posted on Boards that the black people were at fault in that incident and that I expect the white couple will not actually be charged.

ted1 wrote: »
    White privilege didn’t/doesn’t exist in Ireland. Being a rocky outcrop on the peripheral of Europe and not having colonised other countries we simply didn’t have coloured people in the 80s and 90s. There was no privilege so we don’t have to apologise.

Now if you go to South Africa the white man is discriminated against and you have severe racism and crime targeting them. So you need a WLM campaign

I think American society is very messed up. And we shouldn’t be exporting there problems as if they are the same problems globally.

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. But there is different types of privilege that people from some societies experience which others don't.

I would suggest that most of the black people protesting world wide are indeed protesting for black rights but in any scenario where people are stigmatised or mistreated purely for belonging to one group or another, that the people protesting would want that to stop also.

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. But there is different types of privilege that people from some societies experience which others don't.

I would suggest that most of the black people protesting world wide are indeed protesting for black rights but in any scenario where people are stigmatised or mistreated purely for belonging to one group or another, that the people protesting would want that to stop also.

Then they should stop using the phrase white privilege in order to stigmatise or belittle white people's opinions.

It's very simple. White people are not a homogeneous group. Black people are not a homogeneous group. ****ing white privilege... Anto in ballymun lording it over Barack Obama because of his white privilege.

If you have seen several cases online, give us a link to some where both parties behaved the same, yet only one side was accused of being racist.

Otherwise, it's just a strawman argument.

There is a topic in the news today of where a white woman and her husband was arrested for pulling a gun on a black family after a confrontation. I already posted on Boards that the black people were at fault in that incident and that I expect the white couple will not actually be charged.

They've been charged

• Advertisement

Then they should stop using the phrase white privilege in order to stigmatise or belittle white people's opinions.

It's very simple. White people are not a homogeneous group. Black people are not a homogeneous group. ****ing white privilege... Anto in ballymun lording it over Barack Obama because of his white privilege.

Are you the guy who I suggested watch the '13th' but had no interest in doing so?

You really should, or some other avenue to understand the experience so many in the black community have had.

Also, at this point, it seems most of the people using the phrase 'white privilege' are white people saying the don't have it.

They've been charged

I feel they should not have been.

I hope the full video will help in their acquittal or the dropping of the charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Who do you hang around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

I've asked that question in some form in real life of people many times and this is the answer I always get:

Racism = prejudice + power.

Prejudice without the power is reverse racism which is actually a form of racism but is encouraged because of power reasons. (everything is a struggle for power).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No, they are pretty specific it’s BLM, they chastate anyone who mentions ALM

Proof positive that the worlds gone mad. A dog called “The N Word” who died in 1902 has had his headstone removed! Are we no longer allowed call our dogs Blackie, Whitey, Sootie, Snowie??? Bonkers.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8488865/Memorial-dog-racist-died-1902-removed-graveyard.html

Because those mentioning ALM at this point seem to be very much doing it in order to undermine the ALM message.

you may have seen this image from one of the protests which pretty much covers it.

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F38%2F2020%2F06%2F05%2F102448775_10216446530136567_8101705172469678080_n.jpg

Whatever about globally, but on Boards, many of the same people talking about ALM have an issue with any talk of supporting people on the dole, the homeless, travellers, climate action etc etc etc.

Forgive me if I don't buy someone is truly supportive of ALM when they are very vocal on the above.

Whatever about globally, but on Boards, many of the same people talking about ALM have an issue with any talk of supporting people on the dole, the homeless, travellers, climate action etc etc etc.

Forgive me if I don't buy someone is truly supportive of ALM when they are very vocal on the above.

That's a bad conflation.

All lives matter is often said because of the fact that there is an inherent racism to black lives matter.

If someone has an issue with welfare fraud or illegal immigration, it's nothing to do with race.

All lives matter (not a position I take or promote) from what I have seen is a backlash to the inherent racism of mainly American and English attitudes that white people need to apologise for an imaginary privilege endowed on all white people.

I'm more than happy to oppose BLM without saying all lives matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

Have you ever heard "All Lives Matter", "Blue Lives Matter" or "White Lives Matter" when not in response to "Black Lives Matter"?

It isn't.

The real world....how about you

• Advertisement

Strange to day Redemption Song was playing on the radio just now ..powerful stuff...does that put me into the "I've got black friends" category..please advise seeing ye have it all figured out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭joeguevara

BLM should have a Panda as their logo. It's black, white, chubby and Asian.

southstar wrote: »
    The real world....how about you

Poster already said it was a hypothetical. Catch up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭MFPM

Yes they do and they are 100% correct to do so!

Because those mentioning ALM at this point seem to be very much doing it in order to undermine the ALM message.

you may have seen this image from one of the protests which pretty much covers it.

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.onecms.io%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fsites%2F38%2F2020%2F06%2F05%2F102448775_10216446530136567_8101705172469678080_n.jpg

Could you do an edit on that post...I genuinely don't have a clue what point you're making. Genuinely.. Genuinely...lol.. Miriam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭oyvey

Proof positive that the worlds gone mad. A dog called “The N Word” who died in 1902 has had his headstone removed! Are we no longer allowed call our dogs Blackie, Whitey, Sootie, Snowie??? Bonkers.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8488865/Memorial-dog-racist-died-1902-removed-graveyard.html

I don't get it, was the dog named "The N word", or his name was the N word?

I'd think the fact that there is a headstone for a dog in a graveyard as a better example of the world going mad.

joeguevara wrote: »
    I'd think the fact that there is a headstone for a dog in a graveyard as a better example of the world going mad.

No that's good ...canine lives matter...I'm serious.. genuinely...

southstar wrote: »
    No that's good ...canine lives matter...I'm serious.. genuinely...

And what about restrictions on gorilla's freedom of expression. Can't even say up the ra anymore

https://amp.reddit.com/r/northernireland/comments/4dxf73/xpost_from_rireland_man_suspended_from_belfast/

• Advertisement

joeguevara wrote: »

It's like the olden days equivalent of hanging a pair of runners on the electricity wire for the dawgs that's deceased. My maaaan.

Advertisement